SR22 + MSFS + VR = CRAZY Reality

I recently had the opportunity to fly with a friend in his SR22. I got the flight plan the night before and naturally, I had to jump into VR to give it a trial run!

I usually fly a Cessna, and one thing (of many) that jumped out at me was that I needed to put the pedals to the firewall to turn the thing… I thought it was a bug, or that my sensitivities were off, but NOPE. It’s like that in the real thing!

I was blown away! The level of modeling that goes into this stuff is bananas.

I shot an RNAV approach, by the books, with real life traffic injected into the sim, using an iPad running ForeFlight. I swear when we did it the next day, I’d already been there.

This, folks… is the Golden age of simming. And I’ve been at it since 3.0.

14 Likes

There’s a guy on Youtube called P Gatcomb who does some great videos comparing the default craft to real world ones.

I found this video below pretty interesting, and highlights just how detailed the modelling is, even for really minor, obscure things, in this instance, restarting the engine without the battery and alternator by windmilling the propeller to generate enough motion to electrically charge the magnetos.

His channel is highly underrated.

His latest video is on celestial navigation in MSFS. He’s definitely one for the hardcores!

4 Likes

On kind of a similar note, many people that have simmed for a while seem to be disappointed when taking real world introdutory flying lessons.

1 Like

I took to simming in the DA40-NG (with the fantastic @MrTommymxr mod of course) and just began IRL flight training in a Diamond. The dynamics are indeed bananas close to real life. (My CFI said he can see new pilots who have sim time right away.) While those dynamics in the sim are great, the sensations are the best part of real flying. Having felt it, now I can see it in the sim, with that little bounce in the altimeter or speed indicator. Experiencing those sensations, though, I am far from disappointed. If you’re thinking about getting out there in the real world, do it!

2 Likes

Same goes for 3rd party gliders too, now that cumulus clouds give you usable thermals as they form and dissipate.

On another aircraft, the latest Flying Iron Spitfire Mk IX update has had input from a real world Mk IX Spitfire pilot and it shows. What a blast.

For all the problems such a complex project inevitably throws up, this sim is amazing.

2 Likes

It seems like a lot of people who complain are trying to fly in the sim using the keyboard or with the twist of a joystick to control the rudder. I can’t even imagine trying to do that. It’s so important to have the right setup. I agree, the sim is stunning.

1 Like

In real life, all the fun is in the flight planning, preflight, clearances, taxi to takeoff, takeoff, approach, and landing.

While in cruise, real flying is very much like watching grass grow. I think that might be where the disappointment comes from… perhaps?

4 Likes

If you aren’t on PilotEdge, I cannot recommend it highly enough!! Speaking with live ATC, Clearances etc is to general flying, what VR is to immersion!

2 Likes

Vatsim is free and in YOUR region, MY region, worldwide.

IRL flying is tough work and commitment, it’s hot and bumpy, and it takes around 3 months. That’s a lot of work for a hobby but it is truly priceless flying all around the country. Well worth the investment in time and money.

5 Likes

May check that out!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.