SSD Upgrade and disk latency

Hi

Are there any MSFS related stats about pcie drivers ? Is there in sim benchmark how much IOPS is used ?

Drives are little cheaper now, so i’m thinking about upgrade (and the sim and windows should benefit the most). I’m expecting MSFS to be around 1TB.

This stats seems funny, almost drawing me like moth to a flame

One could think that streaming ssd data during flight should have low latency.

However this drive is not so pricey - I could afford 4TB! I have a 1TB now which is slower as well.

Options which I’m considering are:
Lexar NM790 4 TB - not so pricey, big, still faster than my current drive (in theory if there would be some sim bottleneck i could use sim from pcie3 drive)
WD Black SSD SN850X 2 TB - cheaper and smaller (but with worse gb/price ratio) but well known drive

Any suggestions / insights?
(look Ma, I’m real simmer now - thinking about drives…:slight_smile: )

I purchased a Western Digital 1 TB SN770 (WDS100T3X0E) for my boot / Win 11 OS drive a couple of years ago & have had no problems with it at all. Plus, if you have a WD drive, you can use WDs TrueImage backup software for free.

I’ve looked at purchasing the 2 TB SN850X as a secondary SSD drive for MSFS 2020 or 2024. I think both will run on it just fine. Currently $179 on Newegg.

Just make sure yoour choice has a heatsink included.

I have a 1TB WD Black as my C drive and a WD 2TB Blue as my game drive with MSFS on it. I can’t tell the difference in speed. A benchmark program makes the Black look very slightly faster. (both are nvme. I wouldn’t pay the premium for a Black.

I can’t comment on other brands too much other than I had a Crucial SSD die on me! In 25 yrs of building my own PC’s I’ve never had anything WD die.

I would consider another brand if it’s dramatically cheaper and not critical (Like MSFS).

Using an AMD 5950 here. For the through put on an M2 drive is higher than a standard SSD, the difference is minimal when used in gaming. However, I just moved all SSDs out of my system and only have M2 drive installed now. I can see a hefty difference in most things.

I currently run a 2TB 980 pro and a 4TB 990 pro.

I have the Lexar NM790 4TB drive with MSFS installed on it and it is very fast and also reliable. It does run a little hot like all other fast GEN4 PCIe drives so you will want to get a heat sink also. Like you said the gb/price ratio is excellent on this drive and Lexar is also a great name brand.

What I would recommend is to use your 1TB NVMe as your boot drive and use the Lexar drive for MSFS and any other games. You can go into Windows settings->Installed Apps and move the sim to your new drive - very easy!

Thanks for all of your answers.

I have quite common motherboard solution: PCIe4 direct to Ryzen and PCIe3 through chipset. (I don’t have unlimited funds)

PCIe4 Gigabyte 1TB works to its full potential (I see spec speeds on it) which are bellow PCIe4.

So If i don’t trust Lexar enough the plan is to have games/windows and ‘unimportant stuff’ on it and Gigabyte will go onto PCie3 as more trusted.

Heh It’s really funny with ‘trust’ I have NO REASON to distrust Lexar - but I have used Gigabyte for looong time (and WD even longer - I think since 386 era)

I purchased an M2 drive just for the game. Only to find that my eternal loading times were cpu limited. So it barely made a difference. Such is life. Changed computer since then.

1 Like

I know that this is answer which I have expected - but I wanted to hear it from fellow simmer :slight_smile: Thanks