Starlink sattelites on sky

Imagine if someone can cross the public data about starlink sats loc and put this in FS sky!

Why only starlink satellites?

1 Like

I realize Starlink is a hot news item lately but there are a lot of satellites (and space trash) in orbit. And, since there are already apps to track all those things in the sky, it should be possible to integrate in FS. Whether it’s feasible, I couldn’t say.

Because they are in low orbit and are mirrors. Shine more than stars. :sweat_smile:

Aren’t you thinking of the Iridium satellites? Afaik SpaceX is taking steps to make starlink as dim as possible.

No They may say they are, and they may even be planning it for future ones, but no Elon’s obnoxious little ego Constellations are quite…evident.

1 Like

nope. i sure the little constalattion i saw are starlinks sats

Hi there,

I know you haven’t been in the forums for a while, but if you come back, I wanted to mention that there are many, many satellites more visible in the sky than Starlink. Starlink satellites are only visible for a few days after launch, and when they reach their orbital altitude, they are about a magnitude 6.5 or so. There are tons of satellites below that threshold (the lower the magnitude, the brighter). At that magnitude, they are terrible for astronomy, but they would be really hard to spot with the naked eye.

The aforementioned Iridium satellites were mirrored, but they are being phased out and no longer “flare” with predictable regularity.

If you ever return to the forums, I would suggest making this a Wishlist topic simply about satellites in the sky without naming specific ones.

1 Like