Starting from parking spot with LNM flight plan

I did a search and there’s a closed thread from 2020 where someone asked this same question and the answer was “select a parking spot from the drop down menu instead of the map” and the OP said “Perfect , that worked”. Well its’ not working for me. I import a LNM flight plan (with a parking spot selected) and it looks fine on the world map except its showing the aircraft at the runway, not the parking spot that it prompted me for when I tried to save it in LNM. I then select the departure airport from the drop down in MSFS and also the parking spot from the drop down (which matches the parking spot in LNM) and when I load it, the sim inserts all kinds of weird waypoints into the flight plan taking me all over the place before finally putting me on the planned route. I’d love to know how that OP go it to work for him???

Have you updated LNM to read in all of your current airports? Also remember that addon airports bought via Marketplace cannot be read because they’re encrypted. So for example if you select a parking spot in LNM, for an airport thats been purchased through marketplace, you aren’t actually seeing the spot for the marketplace purchase, but for the default. As such, it will start at the runway.

1 Like

Topic moved into Community Support for community assistance and tagged #little-navmap

When seeking assistance from the community, please use a subcategory in Community Support and appropriate tags.

1 Like

Yes its an add-on airport so I’ll switch it back to the default for a test. Thanks

It should be fine if its bought outside of marketplace and in the community folder. If thats the case, you should be able to run the import on LNM to suck in the addons.
If its bought through Marketplace, theres not much that can be done.

I always used to select my start point in LNM and then import that the MSFS to ensure I started C&D.

But around SU8 or 9 it stopped working and still doesn’t. (my LNM version and scenery is up to date). Now I just load the flight plan from LNM to WM and select the start point from the World Map drop down (but never from the map as that will STILL result in the downloaded fligh plan being replaced by an autogen one.

MSFS does load in to a parking spot with an LNM exported flight plan starting from a parking spot as long as in MSFS you do nothing other load in the flight plan and click fly, even if MSFS is showing the starting location as a runway. If you change runway, approach or arrival in the world map window before you click fly, in my experience this messes up the flight plan and can have you starting on the runway.

1 Like

I did as you said, with a parking spot called out in LNM I only selected the departure airport in WM and then loaded LNM flight plan. WM was showing aircraft at a runway starting position but I clicked fly-now anyway and it indeed started me cold and dark in the proper parking location however the flight plan was a total mess. My LNM plan is going straight NE from Long Island NY KISP to Boston but the MS flight plan that shows up on the G5000 takes me west to JFK then does a 180 turn and goes on to points in CT. It does eventually blend in to the LNM waypoints but why is MS adding nonsense to my imported plan? This is the default KISP also. LNM ver. 2.8.8 and scenery library was updated.

2 Likes

This is exactly what is happening to me - it actually caused me to search and find this thread. I started at KLAX without a parking spot after creating a plan in LNM to fly to KFLG. In my case, it only seems to happen if I select a departure procedure. If I depart direct and select a parking space in the WM, it works as intended. But when I select a departure procedure, it inserts a wild loop before eventually returning me to my original flight plan.

You have to inspect your flight plan once you’re in cockpit. Because the Departure is added AFTER you loaded the LNM plan - meaning it’s amended to what you saw in LNM, chances are there’s an initial Waypoint, like an airport VOR that is the first waypoint in the LNM plan. Adding the Procedure before that makes your plane fly away and follow the Departure, but then the first WP is circling you right back because the airport and airport VOR are often co-located. There’s no automatic amendment that cleans up the flight plan - this is just like real life - you have to look at the plan in-cockpit to make sure it makes sense. If the waypoint is forcing you back over the airport, delete it in the plan before taking off.

Other departures end in a MANSEQ (Manual Sequence) leg before it connects to the first waypoint on your LNM filed plan. That means you must hand-fly that leg or use HDG mode to stay on course until you intersect the first waypoint. Inspecting the plan in-cockpit will also reveal this, but as in real-life it’s easier to see if you have Charts to show you the exact legs graphically depicted.

2 Likes

In my best Johnny Carson voice… “I did not know that…that is wild stuff.”

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

One precautionary step that I recommend regardless of VFR or IFR; everytime you make a turn under autopilot, always adjust your heading bug to current heading. This way if you lose guidance and were on the middle of the leg, then you’re still heading in the general right direction. Press HDG and you’re still on course. Then you can figure out what went wrong or look at the MFD and figure out how long until your next turn. Then set the heading bug to that bearing, so if you’re still not under coupled AP guidance by the turn’s waypoint, you can follow the bug to remain on-course.

For takeoff - align the heading bug to departure heading or runway heading. Or if your departure calls for say, 500’ by 1.5NM from runway end then turn to 090 - then set the bug for 090 so at least you know which way to turn after looking over your shoulder or checking the MFD for runway distance.

Thank you, will give it a try!