Steam or MS Store version

I just added the Steam version of MSFS and it seems much smoother than the MS store version. May be lucky but i had none of the usual stuttering etc.

2 Likes

Topic moved into General Discussion.

The SDK category is for discussion of the Software Development Kit. :+1:

Placebo. Same code.

4 Likes

Lucky spent 2x money for same product???

Maybe he had the game pass version ?

Steam version runing very well for me

1 Like

Never had any problems with updates. For what Ive read on this forum from MS store users, steam all the way for me

3 Likes

Maybe,

better report then we don’t need guess and ask more as is expected…

Thank you very much for the information.
So the Steam version has less intrusive DRM and file encryption/decryption and other hidden things entangled into the sim folder structure which gives way better performance?

Two upsides of using the Steam version seem to be the easier access to the community folder, as it’s path is more straightforward, and the ability to use Steam wallet funds in the in-game store. Last point is only really an upside if you’re already a Steam user. If you are using Steam only for playing MSFS, there is less advantage to be gained there.

The main reason for me to go with steam was that the MS store wanted to bully me into using a microsoft account to log in to windows. I’m one of those dinosaurs that prefers local accounts.
From the forums I gather that steam seems to be a less troublesome experience over all.

I see no difference generally,

update system in steam is similar to asobos or you don’t need update sim and play? :slight_smile: To me as long time steam user was one big problem to play only after update on steam, so purchased better dvd games long time ago to bypass steam and its no update possibility as option. Now situation is really different, dlcs, addons/sw rents, subscriptions and all is horrible. All started with Steam system…

Im on ms store.

Steam version, purely for easier to access to the game directory and Steam has better handing of moving game files compared to the Xbox app/MS Store.

This is important if you plan on upgrading your storage drives.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by “easier access to the community folder”?

As I mentioned in another similar thread, buying the sim from Steam does NOT exempt you from having:

1. A working correct Microsoft Account (and is the same one you use as an XBox for Windows Gaming account - and the one you log into the sim with).
  2. A working MS Gaming Services Installation on your PC.
  3. A working XBox for Windows Services Installation on your PC.

What a Steam account SIMPLIFIES is the Authentication and Entitlement Chain between MS-Store, Gaming Services, XBox for Windows and Windows itself. It’s this part that’s a cause of many MS-Store purchaser’s woes during install, upgrade or startup. The other parts as noted above in the list are also part of the challenge.

Steam version, 100%.

Not only does it have less intrusive DRM but it does not rely on the Microsoft/Xbox store. Now, when the Microsoft Store and Xbox apps are working as intended, they are perfectly fine. Not great or even good, but fine.

The trouble comes when something goes wrong and you try to troubleshoot it. Better hope you never get the cursed “gamingservices” won’t install/update bug, because if the dozens of suggested solutions to it don’t work (they wont), you’ll be reinstalling Windows in it’s entirety or not playing your games.

I went through it with Forza Horizon 3, had similar problems with Forza Horizon 4 that prevented me from playing the game that I purchased for MONTHS. I will never make another purchase on the Microsoft Store or Xbox App, when things go wrong they go way wrong, and most of the information you’ll find while trying to Google a fix for it is going to be out of date or otherwise completely useless. What works as a fix for one person might not work as a fix for you. It is infuriating.

Just do a search here on the forums for “gamingservices” and see how much fun it looks troubleshoot.

CasualClick mentions that the Steam version still relies on a functioning gamingservices installation to work. I don’t doubt that, but I’m having a hard time finding any posts related to the Steam version of Microsoft games like Flight Simulator, Forza, Halo etc and the inability to update gamingservices. In fact its the exact opposite, literally every post I can find on these forums, the Steam forums for said games and on Reddit that are trying to diagnose a bad gamingservices install is using the Microsoft Store. So, while the Steam version may still require it to function, whatever process that causes it to break when playing games via the Microsoft Store/Xbox app doesn’t seem to be present in the Steam versions. If someone can point me to a case of this happening on the Steam version of these games, I will happily admit to being wrong.

2 Likes

ähmmm… nope :slight_smile:

Steam version does not need Gaming-Services. But of course an account to login into xbox / and the xbox-app.

I actually got that as guidance from the Dev Team when we were having some problems in SU6/7. Hence I make sure to keep it up as well as the XBox Services.

Always use Steam!
Why?
It’s a mature system which works 99.999% reliably.
And I can choose for every title with no hazzle where it should be installed.
Plus: I can see the installation folder, with no tinkering with rights.

1 Like

:slight_smile: … then we can teach the dev… little joke :joy:

I thought the Gaming-Services was initial only necessary for the Game-Pass / Subscription Version, but here I’am not 100% sure.

I had never installed gameing-services and all older XBox* services are not enabled.

All what I read in meanwhile I have a little bit agree with @ak416 about that we searched in forum feelt much much more issues caused from ms-store or gameing-services issues, as some other kind where steam users are involded. But because I not know the relation steams users vs. ms-store users, I can not sure about whether this is a trend or there are simple more ms-store users in general.

EDIT: ah… and I have still the older “xbox console companion” installed… not the “brand-new xbox app”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.