Steam - Verify Integrity of Game Files Deletes All Content

I tried limiting at 1 mb/s and it seems it’s not good. Should i try at 512 kb/s?

My internet connection is cabable of 35 MB/s and I limited it to 2 MB/s. That was slow but it continued over night without any looping.
So I guess 2 MB/s is fine (MS Server can handle this…)

Did you delete the already half downloaded files which are blocking (do a restart of your computer afterwards! Just to be sure)?

Yes, i did. To be fair, i could delete just the directories downloaded in the last hours. As a matter of fact, the file i was searching for wasn’t in the FS directory, nor in the roaming/packages one… Then the download started to fetch the fs-base.package files, but it keeps getting stuck.

I restarted the PC one time.

My connection isn’t very good, 3mb/s at its best and i’m via wireless, so it happens sometime to resetting itself. I’m afraid this is part of the issue…

Now i’m trying again, and also i’m moving the installation to the other HDD. BTW, thanks for the help so far!

This happened to me too.

Pre-patch my TBM900 was porpoising all the time, so I deleted (actually I moved) the aircraft folder, restarted FS and it re-downloaded the aircraft, and happily it fixed the problem.

Post patch I was getting avionics failures (and still am, which is a current bug I was not aware of at the time). So I deleted my King Air 350i folder.

I restarted FS and the aircraft did not re-download. So I shut FS down, and as a belt and braces try everything move, I thought just re-verify the steam files at the same time, knowing that it doesn’t control all the game files, but just something worth checking anyway.

No problem with the verification, so I booted FS. Hallelujah it starts downloading. When I look at the file names of the stuff downloading, I see the 787 and other aircraft flying by, airports also. That was my WTF moment …

I tabbed out and looked at my Nvme SSD that FS is installed on, and it was ALL gone, apart from the few things that had downloaded in the past minute or so.

I paused the download and shut down FS.

Luckily everyday I do an incremental backup of that drive (plus others) to my NAS.

It took about 3 hours to restore that part of the backup containing FS, a 120GB+ restore. Even on BT Infinity @ about 75 Mbits, it would have taken a lot longer than that to re-download.

Obviously I will not be rushing to do a Steam verification again in the future … :-/

3 Likes

Same thing happened to me…also after verifying files through steam

I just lost all my game files too after a file check. My navlog wasn’t updating from the previous flight, so thought I’d check it out.
Wish I hadn’t now, the whole thing is downloading again, maybe because it’s on a different drive and steam isn’t reading it properly.

Needless to say I won’t be verifying files again anytime soon on this one.

This is my first post here, I was hoping it would have been in a more positive light…
Time for a beer, a long wait, and my fruitless search for the fabled 3080.

Its the ultimate and final irony.

“Self-destruct sequence initiated. Self destruct in t-minus 30 seconds”

phhhhhhhht…

1 Like

Do you have the Steam edition…did you “verify local files”…if so that is why . Steam only knows the ,“client”, and will erase everything else.

I was about to look around for a chance to swap license to steam somehow - thought it would not make things like self uninstalling. Mine on MS Store just wiped itself too right after it refused to launch no matter what.

Gosh… whole weekend of downloading now.

Yes, this surprissed me too. Repair in steam and get the entire game erased. Now is downloading. 107 GB. Late i need to update bindings in my joystick?, adapt the graphics preferences to PC and VR?, so this is so anoying big bug!!

well known behavoir and thus “a feature”: “Steam Verify” cause a whole re-download of MSFS content. It is how MS/Asobo implemented this so called “Steam Integration”.

I think your Config Files should still exist… but I never clicked at Verify… Re-Install, Steam-Verify, etc. is just in most cases no solution for anything.

PS: yes,… nice is other… it is similar to the lie, that Steam-Users can later buy content over/‘in’ Steam for MSFS.

At least config is not lost. So maybe the DEV’s must put a notice to alert this behaviour. I have a good connection, 2 hours take the install and update. The time is gold!!!

Hi @moxiejeff

I called it also former somewhere a “feature” because it is mentioned within the forum ( and seems threads a merged together now and post is now also here ) and possible it is what you meant.

But the normal steam user expect another behavior behind the “Verify Button” and because of these high amount of data which must reloaded, the both companies ( Steam and MS/Asobo ) should check whether the completly re-download can be avoided or at least a “Warning” can be shown ( which makes the Verify useless and I assume there is not a high probability, because the Verify-Button in Steam is general ).

The issue is, that Steam-Users first let Verify the application , as usualy in case of issues for a steam-app , and then ask in forum “what to h…l happens” :slight_smile: … The forum is not the Game documentation , which you should read before…

It is the expecation which steam-users have… other similar point is, that we can not move the application per Steam into library. In my personaly opinion is this so called steam-integration “not a good solution” and compared with games like DCS I call it a “fail”.

1 Like

does anyone know if my settings and cam views, mods, etc will stiil be saved? im redownloading the game, ugh, im just hoping my cam views and mods are safe

did it save your cam views after re installing? and mods?

it saved your cam views and mods? after re installing?

My settings were saved when this happened to me, luckily.

1 Like

my sim CTD on me 5 times today after a few days I add 3rd party livery in the community folder. After remove all the folders in that community folder, the sim still CTD. I purchased this from Steam. So no other way to verify integrity of my files other then this method. No surprise as its wipe out all my files and now I have to download 108.66GiB again.

Why! why does this has to happened and why does it still happening again :frowning:

bug steam FS2020 Local files verify integrity of game file and move install folder will delete will download big files 108 gb again too!!

folder Microsoft Flight Simulator\Official\Steam Delete missing files again

verify integrity of game file will delete to download big file 108 gb again
move install folder Move New Drive will delete will download big files 108 gb again :sob:

Caught me out too this earlier, they really need to limit or put a pop up stating are you sure as it will delete your game ! So games recommend doing how’re this one doesn’t discourage you so…

1 Like