SteamVR base stations for Crystal

I have a Crystal on order and the lighthouse face plate. I’m coming from a G2 and Quest, so I don’t have any experience with these base stations.

Since these stations are rather expensive I was wondering if it would be worth it to get two instead of one?

One of the driving factors was the tracking on the G2 was driving me a little mad. So I want to make sure I’m not virtually shaking and bouncing around.

The room is about 20x20 square feet. The computer setup is up against one wall with a triple monitor setup.

Also, what would be experience be in turning around to look behind me with either one or two?

For seated experiences like flight simming the default Crystal inside out tracking is good enough, I don’t think lighthouses will provide any benefit here.

I’m seeing some conflicting info on Reddit. Some people say it’s a much smoother experience with the lighthouse and other people are having tracking issues.

If tracking issues bother you, then you might want to wait a bit or consider the Varjo. I have the Crystal Sim and it’s a work in progress right now. I love it, but I’ll give it a year to stabilize, then I’m upgrading.
BTW, I see both companies are sold out right now.

I figured after a year it would be worked out. :grin: My stuff is already on the way.

Doesn’t feel great that so much inventory is out of stock. So far I have an order on the standard Crystal and the lighthouse face plate. I still need to source the base station(s).

1 Like

Sales were huge over the Chinese New Year. You’ll love it.

My Crystal default inside out tracking works perfectly in MSFS. I don’t have a need for Lighthouse tracking. But I don’t have the Lighthouse faceplate so I can’t compare.
Compared to G2 the Crystal is a tremendous upgrade, the sweet spot size, the image clarity, contrast, colors, field of view are superb.

1 Like

How is it comfort wise? They seem to have a head strap but many of the accessories are out of stock.

1 Like

Mine fit very well out of the box. I ordered the 15mm face pad to replace the default 11mm. This improved it considerably for me. I wear my glasses inside the headset. With the 15mm mask, I can order the prescription lenses that just snap in. It’s a bit different from the other headsets in the way it sits on your head. It grips the top of your head, not your face.

I have the G2 version of that strap/counterweight, perhaps it may fit. It makes a big difference for the G2.

Pimax also has a comfort strap coming out next week.

Do you feel it lessens the pressure points? Forehead is usually where I get the most discomfort when things aren’t balanced.

1 Like

Absolutely. I have seen complaints of it pressing on the nose bridge, but if it does that you have it too tight. There’s a nice wide felt area where your forehead rests. The elastic strap must be adjusted to keep it from slipping down on your face.

Thanks, I’m going to order the 15mm pad then.

Something I like on the G2 is the ability to keep it cracked open on the bottom for keyboard visibility and ventilation. Is that possible with the Crystal?

1 Like

They just released a see through mode. You just tap the side of the headset twice, and you can see. It’s a work in progress.

B&W only, very low resolution and grainy image as the inside-out tracking cameras are use for passthrough.

I may stick with the lighthouse but will experiment and see. Not sure if the passthrough would work with that.

Question on the 15mm pad. The descriptions call it a kit. Amazon has replacement pads for it, but do they require additional parts? I don’t see the kit piece for sale.

It’s confusing on the Pimax site too.