Step backwards for me Beta 13

xbox series s

Kjfk to Kord, B787 got to about 3000 ft and nose dived.

Avionics switched off then back on 3 times then remained off as the air craft nose dived.

Tried NZAA to Changi, Avionics went black then started then black then CTD.

My installation, standard with one set of liveries for the B787.

I have come to the conclusion that Asobo are pushing ■■■■ up hill with xbox series S

How many months has it been, I don’t know when I last had a flight didn’t have a software fault. What is even worse, I bought a few add ons that I cannot use.

I would be interested to know whether I should update to xbox series X or am I dreaming ?

Sorry put the frustration level is very high.

Having the S means some compromises must be made. NO handcrafted airports in airliners, turn ground vehicles down, and generally have A.I. traffic off. Photogrammetry off, clear rolling cache and turn it off, and maybe try a fresh install. Get rid of all the add-ons and work your way up to see if one or more of them are causing issues.

Do you have the same experience with other aircraft then the B787?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have no add ons installed except for one set of liveries for the B787.

Yes I had live traffic. It is the immersion I like, obviously it is beyond the ability of the series S.

I have bought some add ons but have uninstalled them all prior to entering the beta program.

I am wondering if the series x will be better, probably I guess.

I didn’t want to buy it then find out it is marginally better.

Thanks
Laurie

1 Like

Today’s non entertainment was trying again.

B787 sort of successful, I managed to take off then realised it was not tracking the route.

Tried the original a320neo, started taxing (I had the taxi arrows on) they disappeared then when I got to the runway I realised that ATC had given up on me.

Tried again and got a CTD.

Rebooted and tried the B787 everything looked promising till I realised while taxing the throttles were not working from the flight stick, and couldn’t steer.

pushed the button on xbox, held it in till it turned off, disconnected it from the wall and gave it flying lessons outside, it was the longest flight of the day, but it ended in a CTLAWN ( lol not I didn’t’t do this but have given up for the day )

I would buy the series X if I knew it was going to be stable and usable.

About the only thing I want the xbox series X to do is cope with live traffic. As above, for me it is the immersion of live traffic. If people think this is not possible then maybe I will look to buying a decent PC to run this.

I would always suggest a decent PC above a console if you have the money to spend. Lots more options to tweak, better graphics, the ability to upgrade to VR, more peripherals and tools to use, more 3rd party addons, etc, etc, etc.

But you might want to hold off spending money on a PC until the release of MSFS 2024, because on PC we currently have our issues too. The promise of MSFS 2024 using multi threading better might relieve some of these issues and also might change the choice of CPU you may want to get. We also don’t know how demanding it is going to be on our systems.

So better save up some money during the next months and see what you can spend on a good PC when MSFS 2024 lands and if that’s sufficient. But that’s just my advice.

1 Like

A console is how much now a days $500-$700? I built a new pc yesterday for $900-$1200 that will roughly last me a good 5+ years before i need to start upgrading part by part. Consoles are cheaper in the short run but with pc you can always replace parts with newer parts as the years go by and as technology advances. With console you may have to buy a new console every year or two. You dont need a beast of build for pc either. Probably can get or build a pc for just around the same price as a console or cheaper if places are having sales that can still run msfs better than console can with things that you love and want.

1 Like

I agree with the opinion in this thread PC is the most comprehensive platform. But buying a new console every one or two years doesn’t make sense because new consoles usually don’t come out that quickly. The Xbox Series X came out in 2020 and the successor probably won’t come out until 2026.I bought the Series X in 2021 and will continue to own it for a while.

Depends, is the person flying 5 hours a week or 25. Do you want to play other games? Do you want to have it hooked up in your living room? Etc. Consoles make sense for a lot of people and they are currently on 5-6 year cycles. I have an XSX which I paid $500 for. I have the Boeing TCA yoke, mouse, keyboard and fly everyday…I am happy with the setup. I also think inevitably console will be fully capable and perhaps preferable (value wise) to PC in the future. Perhaps even with the next gen console. And is a $1200 PC going to be considerably better than the XSX?…or only incrementally

2 Likes

The 787 and 747 aren’t all that well optimized such as the 737 for example, and they don’t work well on the S. The X, you’re gonna get better results. Being able to use custom 3rd-party airports, that and much else. The extra 6gbs of RAM are a MASSIVE difference maker. Wait for a good sale. A good PC is expensive, sometimes at least twice as much as an X.

The best advice I can give you? Look around on the forums, the performance surveys are helpful. People post what they can do, and on what console or platform. I’ve been dealing with the S, and it’s a hassle, and I’m saving for an X.

I had an S to begin with when the sim was released on Xbox. It did fine at first and was actually quite impressive. As the sim got more complex and add-ons became more available I made the switch to the X. On my 32” Samsung in 1440p, the difference is pretty significant and I rarely have issues handling add-on airports, aircraft, etc. LOD used to be great as well but they have reduced that in the past year. You used to be able to see other airports and cities from 30-40 miles away at night in clear conditions. I remember commenting on here back in the day how unrealistic it was to be able to see airports l so far away…

1 Like

Whole reason I got the S was to play this game. Looked at IGN’s comparison between the two, and the difference was negligible. Now it’s night and day. The fact that it works with a plane like the 737 is impressive. At this point, it’s a serious worry that any given flight I do will be ruined by blackscreens or CTDs, and it hampers the experience.

:rofl: Been there

Thanks heaps for the replies.

Initially the xbox S worked fine, but as the updates arrived, the performance issues mean I usually waste 2 hours of reboots due to a myriad of different issues.

It is the default install using live traffic.

If the xbox X is a better option then maybe I will upgrade.

I have been a PC flight simmer previously with about 5 different MSFS versions, but never really had a computer that ran them well., probably ram and basic graphics cards.

I do look in envy at the live traffic with proper liveries on the pc version.

Maybe I will upgrade to xbox X and wait till MSFS 2024 arrives and see how the performance on the consoles go.

Here in NZ to get a decent pc I reckon I will need to pay $5000 to spec out to a decent Nvidia graphics card and sufficient high speed ram.

Once again thanks for all your thoughts on what I should do, it is appreciated.

cheers
Laurie

2 Likes

I would just wait till 2024 to do anything. Maybe the sim will run better on console. Dropping several hundred dollars is an investment at any rate. Save up in the meanwhile.

1 Like