Sticky Runways

Please only post bugs that are new in this build, and tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam Version
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Brief description of the issue:
Some taxiways are very sticky. Only at a couple airports. Aircraft is taxiing along and suddenly it stops as if it’s stuck in one of those glue mouse traps. Encountered at KSFO and KMIA
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Approximate areas (google maps reference)

KMIA -

One of these two areas: Taxiway U or Taxiway V. Taxiway P looked to be of the same texture in game
KSFO -
Area around Taxiway A, B, E, F, J

Notes:

• I have encountered this in HD 787 and FBW a320
  • I do not recall encountering this pre su8 beta in these or other airports.
  • Not using any payware or freeware airports. Only Asobo created (both are autogen i believe)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

This happened to me at a small runway in the Caribbean, I forget where. I had landed and came to a complete stop. Went to taxi to parking area and could not move at all.

Yeah. seems to be a weird collision issue. like you’re driving into deep sand or snow and you’re just spinning tires. I can find a picture of where in the game the texture is different from the rest of the airport. It’s kind of an asphalt and the area around it is concrete

One aspect of the physics model that Asobo have previously said they would look at was the friction component from tyres - low friction was thought to be responsible for poor ground handling (‘ice rink’ and ‘ball-bearings’ were some of the adjectives used) and the source of excessive weather-vane effect on TO or Landing roll. Perhaps they have altered friction values? Also, sometimes the sim incorrectly renders asphalt/hard taxiway surfaces as soft in some stock airfields - but you can usually see this.

i haven’t had a lot of “ice rink” effect with planes. If even i’ve had it using the 747 (stock and salty mod) but that’s a plane issue. I haven’t flown it much lately though

Not my words, but a fair number of IRL airline pilots have commented in the past about there being too little sense of inertia and friction. Its most noticable when its windy and the aircraft gets pushed around too much. And it is definately the case that weathervaning is too strong - its what makes so many of the crosswind landings in MSFS janky with sudden lurches upwind. You would get this IRL too…but just not quite to the extent observed in MSFS. But ‘glue traps’ sounds like something different. I’ve fallen into ‘bear traps’ on taxiways at LFPG…

Is this perhaps a side effect of fixes to the reverse crabbing problem or have you ever encountered this behaviour before the beta?

This happened to me while taxiing at KDCA the other day with the Drzewiecki Design add on in the current live build with the CRJ900. So it may be another issue not related to SU8.

not that i recall. I did a forum search and didn’t see any other related threads so it may very well have existed before SU8. Mod, please move if appropriate :slight_smile:

That said i don’t know what the reverse crabbing problem is

The three aircraft with the new prop implementation will slowly move backwards if you applied full throttle with brakes applied.

At least, they did in the first beta build, I believe there was an update to address this. I’m not opted in to the beta so I haven’t tested any of this myself, just been reading and like you say, this seems to be the first report of this behaviour. I have never seen any complaints about ground movement being sticky, quite the opposite.

I could be completely off the mark of course but I could see that potentially they adjusted something in the tyre / ground friction area to help combat the initial problem.

ah yes i think i’ve had this before. Haven’t tried in beta SU8 but it sounds familiar.

But yeah this is separate. I’ll be rolling along and i’ll slow down to turn (because these things don’t turn on a dime) but then i’ll stop and can’t move again. Even after applying TOGA power. shift+P (pushback shortcut) sometimes fixes it but then its a matter of pushing back far enough and then trying to avoid that area all together

Unable to repro as of 1.24.5.0.