Storage tank farms instead of office buildings

Just about everywhere in the world we have oil storage tanks or other similar large round tanks. The algorithms of Blackshark or whoever render some of these as round office buildings - usually the correct proportions and not too bad visually if we fly over a few hundred feet up. But then it doesn’t ‘believe’ that a whole area can be round ‘buildings’ and it creates a lot of square ones despite then having to place them on round footprints.
I would be nice for the algorithm people to sort this (as well as the no blocks of flats where farm buildings are and no big tall buildings on small airfields/strips.

Hi there,
I modified your title a little. When I read just the word “tank” I thought it might have to do with the military vehicle.

I think you misunderstood his request. He’s asking for two improvements to the blackshark AI:

1. the tanks currently show up as round buildings instead of round tanks. (so they are already round)

2. despite blackshark being able to spawn round buildings for tanks, it spawns square houses where the houses in real life are round.

1 Like

Well I did say Oil Storage tanks and not many refineries etc keep oil in old military tracked vehicles.

Yes exactly - seen here like this - not so important that on close inspection the round tanks have windows & doors - unless we inspect - er - closely.
More important that the algorithm ‘gives up’ and ignores round shapes like this. Look at the area between the Pitts and the compass. (Its near Southampton - worse at Grangemouth and in many other countries too).

1 Like

I was referring to the title by itself, so you could understand what it was about when viewing the list of all wishlist topics. Feel free to change it some more if you don’t like the title. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Water towers, too, which are major landmarks near airports that even ATC refers to.

1 Like

Not to metion, it would be super easy for them to implement, there are databases that list water tanks and other such objects they could be using to cross-reference. Search for a circle, consult the database, wah la!

1 Like

Let me find that area as I could incorporate adding storage tanks to my free Southampton add-on.

I will try have it up by early next week. I count around 76 tanks to add LOL
See there are more on the other side of the river to add to.
I might in future see about adding all the cars at the docks is 1000’s will have to see if it has to much performance impact.

1 Like

It is on the opposite side of Southampton Water from Lee-On-Solent aerodrome and is called (If I remember right) Fawley. Of course if Blackshark or whoever fix the algorithm and ASOBO release an updated UK (Umpteenth of January I believe) you may not have to.

1 Like

I will do it anyway don’t think it will take that long to add the tanks as the footprints for there locations are there. Also I’m not sure if Southampton will be one of there area’s that gets touched by the UK update, as it already has Photogrammetry. Think I’ll add the tanks and leave other things til after the UK update.

1 Like

Done most of it already.
Fixed a sunken building further to the left of this place on the river at a wind turbine place.
sneak peak:

1 Like

That looks excellent. And presumably shows that they have actual storage tanks in their ‘armoury’

I have a feeling this area wasn’t part of the photogramettry over as on the other side of the river the storage tanks have been created, the side the above image is on is ai created building’s.

Anyway have finished that area with the tanks, just a couple of more area’s with tanks to add further along. Only thing that is a shame is that they aren’t more weathered looking.

Hello just to let you know have just released my update to my Southampton add-on.
Southampton area improvement add-on(no google imagery) • Flight Simulator 2020
-Added over 80 storage tanks.
-removed vegetation that shouldn’t be there.
-fixed some blob trees around airport and docks
-added some vegetation.
-removed some buildings that shouldn’t exist.
-added vegetation
-removed water from some beach areas where possible.
-added some boats to a dock.
-added a crane.

1 Like

This topic need more attention, it have been 6 months but the fuel tanks still look at the very best like a warehouses.

1 Like

While I totally agree with the concept and that it should be implemented someday, given the state of the code and the rate at which they are still adding base functionality, I doubt they’ll get to it for at least another 6 months. It’s going to need a heck of a lot more than 7 votes to get anyone’s attention.