Strange experience with anti-aliasing and graphics settings after patch

Just wanted to throw this out there, since it’s a bit confusing and I’m not sure how reproducable it is. But, after the patch, I noticed that TAA anti-aliasing wasn’t working properly ingame (has happened to me before), and the graphical quality in general didn’t feel right. In the past I’ve noticed graphics settings being changed ingame for whatever reason so I went into the settings and had a look. Everything seemed to be the way it was supposed to be. I flicked from TAA to FXAA (looks horrible) and back again, but I couldn’t get a smooth, crisp image. The weird thing is that TAA here seems to ‘kindof’ work, but some frames are better than others. The outside world tends to look ‘ok’, but jaggies are quite noticeable at the border edge between the top of the cockpit glare shield and the outside environment. Definitely not smooth.

Anyway, while trying to solve this, I updated my nVidia drivers. After reloading the game, I noticed my ingame graphics settings were not what I’d set them to be, and a lot of things were on low or medium (I tend to run high/ultra settings). AA was set to DLAA. [edit: I realise now that the settings were set to the ‘optimised’ settings for MSFS displayed in geforce experience, something you might want to check]

I chose the ‘ultra’ preset, then tweaked back to my normal settings, then went ingame. AA was fixed! Actually, everything looked pretty much like before the patch. That left me thinking that maybe there’s a bug at the moment where your displayed graphics settings aren’t actually being applied ingame. I might recommend the steps above to see if this fixes the AA problem for you if you’re having it. Anyway, as I say, just putting it out there.

Couple of other things…

I know there have been changes to water but I’m not convinced about arguments that say that reflections for the lights have been turned off, I think it’s to do more with the new ripple effects and a rougher surface that smooths out the reflected details. Perhaps that still needs tweaking. The new ripples do look a bit too procedural to me from certain angles. In other places they look really good.

Trees. I do feel that the tree LOD has suffered somewhere along the line. I usually run ‘high’ trees, but now I feel I need to crank that to ultra, and it’s still not at the level where it used to be from memory. Midground trees seem very sparse. I’m not sure what that’s about.

Cheers

6 Likes

Just having a look at this video, seems the tree amount/LOD is pretty much identical to the previous patch…

3 Likes

In GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, you must deactivate the box on the right “optimize automatically”
And delete MSFS2020 in the middle case

3 Likes

Antialiasing is a big problem from last two patches, don’t know why, but it look much worse, shimmering and jagged lines, but yesterday i did reset to all my graphics settings in game, and it worked, it was great again. Now, today i try to fly again, and it’s terrible, tried same thing as before, now it’s not working, so there’s clearly something wrong with the game engine, i think some of the settings go back to low or don’t apply at all, it’s weird, but for sure, something is wrong.

3 Likes

I don’t have geforce experience and have the same problems with AA.

1 Like

The shimmering has nothing to do with Geforce experience. This is a ingame issue.

I just hit the revert button and it set things to ingame settings again.

the patch destroyed the Antialiasing, gg

1 Like

Try tweaking the Quality keys for “SSSSS” and “AA” under Graphica in the UserCfg.opt file (located under %AppData%\Microsoft Flight Simulator for Steam users) to see if they have an effect for you?

Values: 0 is Low, 1 is Medium, 2 is High, 3 is Ultra.

I wrote the post really to say that AA isn’t broken by this latest patch. But something might be happening that requires you to ‘reset’ your graphics settings somewhere along the line in order for it to work. TAA AA is definitely working for me again with the latest patch.

This sounds right to me:

I have been enjoying great performance on my i72600K with a GTX 1070.

The clouds now look really awful and the cockpit illuminated text on the instruments of the A32NX is all shimmery and moves around, this is a great shame. The update to the TAA anti aliasing has killed the simulation experience for me with lower frame rates and introduced stutters. I will not be using the simulator as much now. The scenery textures do look much sharper though. Charles

1 Like

I’ve found that you still need ‘FXAA’ turned on in nVidia control panel settings to smooth out some of the jaggies with the new TAA (around the glare visors seems to be most prominent with jaggies).

Currently I’m finding the best settings to be:

Ingame AA - TAA

Edit userCfg.opt in
‘C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache’

…look for post process ‘sharpen’ entry, and change to 0. Save file.

In nVidia Control Panel:

turn FXAA on
turn on sharpening and dial it down to about .3.

(these settings seem to require a restart of the simulator to work)

Looks great.

1 Like

Go into the Nvidia menu and reset under global and the game menus. I use TAA in game and default Nvida settings as recommended by Nvidia and get no shimmering, everything is clear inside the cockpit and the clouds are as they should be. Sometimes, too much “tuning” can be a bad thing.

1 Like

Hi, Thanx for that. The A32X has bee updated now, there was a problem on their side.
BRGDS.
Charles

I am also having this issue to this day, glad I found this post. Can devs please fix this bug? TAA looks terrible.

1 Like

TAA has been broken for so long, it’s incredibly frustrating.
it’s such a big issue for image quality yet it feels like Asobo ignores it.
“yes shimmering is an issue, wait till SU10 and DLSS” like bruh

I noticed yesterday the TAA was not working correctly in the cockpit. I was having to squint to read everything and zooming in blurred the image slightly. I suspected the TAA might have been bugged since it has been changing with every update. Dev just can’t seem to leave it alone when it works and then a patch comes and we are back to debugging image quality and performance issues.

2 Likes