Strange Parasite drag computation

Hello,

After experiments it turns out drag computation and especially Parasite drag are quite hard to predict.

After analysing data, I noticed the other_drag component of the parasite drag theory becomes negative (!!) with higher CL or AOA, and is positive while at lower CL. Correlation between Other para drag and CL is linear (R2=0,995).

As a result it kills induced drag generated by the CL and global Cd is wrong at low and high CL while correct data are used as input. More problematic it seems that oswald changes induce oppisite effect on the other para drag component resulting in an almost no effect at the end.

Could you please explain how a drag can be negative, how it is generated (no control deflection at all in my tests, no side slip, no prop wash).

By the way, in debug drag window, Cd expression has a typo. It’s Cd Para and not Cl para I think.

Last, it would be cool to freeze tracking debug when in pause. Because while in pause flown distance continues to increment.
Last request: why not integrate a data logger of all the variables availabe in debug window ? Would help a lot in design.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey,

Some induced drag gets included in the parasitic drag, that’s why the other drag is showing fancy values.

You can check out my post over the dev support forum there:
https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/6077/drag-calculation-borked-new-topic.html

1 Like

Oui j’ai vu. Ma compréhension est que chaque composant de l’avion developpe une traînée parasite et une traînée induite. J’ai même mesuré la traînée induite du fuselage basée sur la portance qu’il génère (CL fuse purement linéaire avec l’aoa). Ils ont fait un modele intéressant mais qui est un vrai casse tête à régler pour un nouvel appareil.

1 Like