Stream Deck Button Box (My C172 Implementation)

I’ve got a button set up on my TBM profile for the wing ice light. The toggle command is TOGGLE_WING_LIGHTS, and that works. It would seem that the feedback value of LIGHT_WING_ON doesn’t work though, as the indicator remains on regardless of the status of the light.

Have I chosen the wrong variable to display, or is there something wrong with the plugin or the event itself?

EDIT:

Disregard the above. The correct display value is LIGHT_WING. Not sure how I missed that originally. It works as intended now.

I released a new version 0.21 that might help with the infinite Connected to Stream Deck message. I couldn’t reproduce that on my PC, so I don’t really know if it helps. Please let me know if you think it is better.

1 Like

I’ve got it already. So far so good it seems. Will upload a log if the error returns.

Sorry for jumping into this so late. I have one place where I could reasonably reliably reproduce the infinite retry cases. I found that if I used FLC on the ground, the airspeed started at zero. when I held down the button to increase the FLC airspeed I could successfully get it to ramp to about 30Kts before I started to overrun the input and see the disconnect / reconnect message on screen. I will install the latest build and retest to see if there are improvements.

Also FWI I am building a Streamdeck Reset Powershellshell Script that can be linked to a button that can restart the app if you get your app into a non-recovering state. I’ll Post up about it when I have it better tested and working reliably.

2 Likes

Because the light naming is a nightmare and there are various variable names suggesting doing the same, but doing something slightly different. It’s maddening sometimes :wink:

lol Yeah, variables attached to lights and engines have so many variables that are seemingly the same thing at times, but all do quite different things. And that list keeps growing as new variables keep getting enabled as the SDK functionality is expanded. It’s likely not going to get better in terms of naming.

I have been thinking about all the annoyance of SimConnect recently (especially when trying to make SimConnect works with the A320), and suddenly realize a big problem: Asobo themselves doesn’t really understand how SimConnect should work, or particularly the big difference between triggering an event and setting a variable.

In my opinion, triggering an event should be equivalent to a user action on the flight deck itself. This means what happen from triggering an event can be wildly different from setting a variable value, and should be different from a/c to a/c.
Internally, this means panels’ logics have to “start” from a SimConnect event (or a user interaction). Right now, panels’ logics start from user interaction (e.g. click, scroll), and end with a SimConnect event (which simply set a SimConnect variable). Therefore, if any plugin simply triggers the same SimConnect event, it loses all logics in the middle (e.g. no ramping up when turning on in-sep in TBM or weird behavior when setting Selected/Managed in A320).

Unfortunately this is not a problem for aircraft developer at all but only for external panel/add-on developers. So I would guess that there is no focus on SimConnect design right now, and the current requirement is simply to “make it work” (unfortunately this happens a lot in software development) instead of thinking it through. This is particularly bad when building long term platforms, as big changes later on potentially breaks 3rd-party product badly as everyone is already following the wrong way or already proceeds with a ton of workaround.

Anyway, this is just a long rant from a small dev that doesn’t even get accepted to partnership program :joy:. I hope I am completely wrong and we will see some improvement soon.

12 Likes

@NguyenQHy I wish and hope you are wrong , However in this case I think your comments are correct.

Also BTW I tested the infinite loop when pressing continuously the Nose up Nose Down commands for FLC. Have found the recents improvements to significantly help but not completely eliminate the recoonect events although the one I did see was NOT associated with a high rate of toggle events being sent to FS2020.

Hey there,

need somebody buttons for StreamDeck - A320 version. Here it is - my first charge.
Have fun and feel free to use …

generic-blank generic-fault generic-off

generic-off-fault generic-on

1 Like

@FlyingFoxFox I’m not sure what you are saying / asking? I like the Buttons, simple clean and clear!

1 Like

You guys are making it real hard not to spend next months Rent, on a Stream Deck !!!

4 Likes

I must have expressed myself a little unhappily. I just wanted to provide you with my collection.
Everything is well. :slight_smile:

I have already done that. :joy:

@N6722C So Mission Accomplished then… :rofl: Did you know that you can also run StreamDeck Mobile on your Phone without having to own the physical hardware?. I think its pay to play but is not an expensive option… See here

I have just finished up a draft of my Noobs Guide to Flight Tracker. I’m sure there a plenty of edits to go before its done but for those wanting to learn a little more about how to create buttons this may help. The PDF doc can be downloaded here along with the V2 Icons I created and the Template .PDN files.
https://github.com/jplewis01/Streamdeck_FSPanels-/tree/main/Icon-PDN
The most Current Profile for the C172 is in the Profiles folder.

4 Likes

I’m running this for a while now (on a decommissioned iPhone) and it’s a great addition to my physical StreamDeck (I only bought the regular sized one). Got a few buttons set up that didn’t fit on the SD hardware and the rest are different cockpit views, it’s very convenient …

Dirk

OK So I’ve progressed to building controls for the G36 Bonanza and I have most things working but cannot get a couple of things working. anyone got thoughts on these,
Cowl Flaps indication: I can open and close them but there is not a good Feedback variable that seems to work to show Open / Closed State.

Fuel Tank Selector: This seems to a be an artifact of the fact the tank selector can provide multiple output values. I wanted to have three buttons OFF, Left, Right. Off is Easy, its Zero but when the selector is non zero I have no way to discern if left or right is selected because the value returned is either 1 or 2 and both values will essentially return a true (ON) to the toggle button. Its almost like we need a campare field to say “ON value” and you can assign a Value like 1, 2 , !0, >0 <2

@NguyenQHy I have developed addons for fligtsims for years and can certainly relate to your feelings. And believe me, it can be worse, try controlling the Majestic Q400 for P3D through their API, but certainly also better, see e.g. the X-Plane dataref/command system.
Personally I believe it was a missed opportunity to design a good API. I guess they were forced to reuse the FSX simconnect principles.

I reckon indeed. Or they thought it would save time…

Thank You Guys I’m not really b!tching as I’m not sure if it was just Toggle Variables that were not yet implemented. You guys have done truly amazing work here and as I develop more controls, I can see ever greater opportunities to do amazing things with this. What I need to understand now is what we could accomplish within code in the plugin and what might need external intermediate solutions that connect to SimConnect to and interface with flight Tracker. In the meantime I’m working to learn more about what we can make FT do, given what simconnect gives us and helping other make it work for them too. :wink: