Struggling with ILS Approaches using NXI G1000

Can anybody help me get my head around IFR ILS approaches using the NXI G1000 in the 172 please?

I have been flying VFR for years and want to learn ILS. What I am struggling with is intercepting the glide slope so that the system follows it down towards the runway automatically.

If I set the flight up in the sim map and include the ILS approach, does the NXI switch from ALT mode to GS mode automatically or do I have to select approach mode at some point on final and switch off ALT mode and if so, based on the image below which shows all the waypoints for my last flight, at what point should I have made that switch?

Highly recommended. These videos by Kip helped me out learning how to set-up and operate the G1000 NXi in MSFS.

1 Like

Thanks but I tried following those, the problem is there is so much conflicting information form different youtubers its hard to make sense of who is doing things properly and who isnt. I would prefer somebody who uses the sim and frequents the forum to help me with a response to my question rather than trying to follow a 23 minute video. I know how to set up an approach, its that final glide slope capture I am struggling with.

1 Like

Anywhere between BRI and FF09, you can arm APR.

Ok thanks. That is where I went wrong in that case. I didn’t set APR until I was just past FF09 and until I did it said NO GS, then I struggled of course because I was well above the glide slope, tried slowing down to catch it and nearly stalled.

Yes, on an ILS approach, you can still be in GPS and as long as the NAV radio is correctly tuned, the CDI will switch from GPS (Magenta) to LOC (Green). Once past the IAF, press APR and GS will appear in white in the scoreboard annunciator indicating it’s armed. You should see it pick up the GS just after FAF, and usually but not always coincides with hearing the OMI beeps.

2 Likes

I will remember that for next time. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Tried another flight today, it still didn’t work so I dont know what I am doing wrong. I flew to EGNM, had Nav 1 & 2 set to 110.90 and had programmed ILS 14Z. The system detected I-LF as I approached the airport but it never switched from GPS to VOR1, no outer marker was detected and there was no way to arm approach mode. I just dont get it.

1 Like

Finally managed a nice ils landing at Manchester today and successfully intercepted and locked onto the glide slope.

3 Likes