Stuck on Installation Manager

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Brief description of the issue:
Cannot get past the Installation Manager screen, I click Update and for 8+ hours it is still on the same screen. I have rebooted and attempted again, same situation
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Cannot get past the Installation Manager screen, I click Update and for 8+ hours it is still on the same screen. I have rebooted and attempted again, same situation
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU5
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

I had this issue for a very long time. The way I improved the situation was by not doing anything else. I found it froze if I opened another application. So I just left it installing and turned off my monitor.
Does that help at all?

1 Like

Are you stuck on “Checking for Updates” ?
If so:
Close the game.
head over to the game “official” folder.
Sort the files inside by “last modification date”.
Delete any loose file, not in a folder, and delete the latest modified folder (check the hour of modification).
Start the game up again and see if that worked. If not, go back and delete again the latest modified folder.

I did that and it worked for me. I deleted like 5 folders at once because I didn’t want to try folder by folder. But it unstucked the thing.

8 Likes

@MaxiARG4147

Thanks for the advice, giving it a shot. Will post back either way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This did it, thanks. Just deleting the folder-less file wasn’t enough, had to do the first two folders as well. Mine was corrupted from crash during update (don’t forget to put for FPS limit on for the menu…ughhh)

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back mate. Good to know it worked.

This sounds like where I’m stuck too. Will try this later. Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed!

1 Like

I am now stuck on the updates page. Sigh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I deleted the old files, rebooted and tried again

Was stuck on the looking for content update for 2 hours.

Now, I am back to the Installation Manager, have clicked Update

Wow. Thank you so much, been stuck on “updating” for days.
Finally it really is updating.
You are the Man !

Hello Guys,
Writing on behalf of my 88yo father in law who plays msfs every day.
Unfortunately the sim won’t start.
I think it was after a recent update.
It gets stuck on the attached screen (photo) but just hangs there indefinitely with the buffering symbol in the bottom RH corner.

I just found out about this too.

After observing the part/package files in the folder, I found that the installer skips over the decompression of some set of part/package files. For me, this was fs-base 205. The Installation Manager would loop part downloads from 206 until (approximately) 214 and decompress them infinitely, and never do anything with the 205 parts. They just sat there.

After closing the application, removing all the part files, and restarting it again, the installation manager correctly retrieved and decompressed part files.

so I tried deleting all the recent update files from today and restarting the download, but it constantly hangs at the very end 99%

Not sure how to resolve this. Should I keep deleting the fsbase.fspatch files? I feel like that’s likely the culprit but not sure… first time I’ve ever had an issue updating!!

edit: found out that I’m consistently hanging/freezing on fs base-0.1.205.fspackage.001.

Me too…same problem.

Solved:: Disabled antivirus (Avast). No more hang at 99 %. Happy
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here! Just didn’t get to posting it yet. For the future I’m going to disable avast during updates.

MSFS crashed while downloading an update, doing what you said hear fixed the problem! thanks bro!

what is meant by “official folder” , i’m in the C:\Users"myname"\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe and there are no recent folders, there are only folders but they are not recent, like they are from way earlier today

It worked for me! Great help!!

Until this last update I’ve had no issues with the Sim. Now I’m stuck with software that can’t update - I’ve trawled through every thread, post and article I can find using both Google and Bing (in an attempt to bring up any different results) and followed all the advice given - nothing has worked. The Installation Manager will get stuck at 1% or may make it up to around 25% but then it will stop responding.

So it’s time to unistall before I end up doing something that has a negative effect on any other software just to try and fix this.

One thing I will say as a result of all my searching for help and answers is Asobo have been the least forthcoming of all the sources within my search despite being the developer and despite the issue being widely reported, widely discussed and for a very long time.