Study level aircraft question

Hi all,

as some casual player who enjoyed really short trips with full manual handling (sens the boring curise phase using the AP and altitude seclector), I want to ask the experienced or pros what else a study level aircraft bring extra? I know from default airliners a ton of buttons is not effective, but with auto mixing on and assuming the FMC can load on runway in the world map as default ones, are the remaining options really affecting handling of the aircraft at full manual mode? (No Auto throttle, no approach mode used at final phase, only follow the ribbon on map for manual landing)

PA28R from JustFlight

First, understand that “study level” is a highly subjective term. I personally consider “study level” to mean just that; that in order to fly the aircraft, I will need some level of studying the manuals because at least all of the systems that I would expect to encounter in normal flight are fully implemented. I consider both the Aerosoft CRJ and the Just Flight Arrow III to be study level, though with the Arrow III it was just a matter of taking a quick look at the startup procedures and the v-speeds and I was off flying. The CRJ took me several days of reading and watching tutorials to begin to feel comfortable with the aircraft.

“Study level” isn’t really about manual flying when it comes to airliners. Airliners are generally not manually flown except from take-off to acceleration altitude and then from about the last 1,000’ or so on the approach. I think most companies actually prohibit manual flying in cruise. Presumably, the flight behavior will be better than the default airliners, but that isn’t the primary draw for “study level” airliners (which isn’t to say that proper flight modelling isn’t expected or important). What “study level” brings is a level of systems detail that allows aircraft to be flown exactly as they would in real life. With really advanced “study level” aircraft, such as those developed by PMDG, one can actually simulate complex failures and abnormal operating procedures.

In the case of general aviation aircraft such as the Just Flight Arrow III, the flight dynamics matter more and that aircraft “feels” (as much as that is possible in a simulator) very close to the real aircraft. I have not flown single engine Pipers, but the heavier controls and the tendency for the aircraft to drop when the throttle is pulled back are all familiar sensations to me from the aircraft I have flown. For GA aircraft, accurate flight model is far more noticeable and as it is a much larger part of the experience, it is especially important.

In short, “study level” only really matters for those who want their flight simulation experience to be as realistic as possible and who are willing to accept the (often considerable) level of work required both to learn the aircraft initially and to properly fly it.

4 Likes

“Study Level” to me means that the sim handles the physics around it the same way the “real” plane would.
I don’t know that MSFS2020 has any “Study Level” planes. PA28R from JustFlight is a real hoot to fly it is not at this time “Study Level”

mho

1 Like

PA28R is the only study-level plane in fs2020.
CRJ will be in 2 or 3 patches.

No doubt about that

I’d add the Bleriot (definitely) and Flying Iron Spitfire (somewhat) to that.

Right, thanks for the detailed reply, so can I get it this way: the plane should be very close to real life in both flight dynamics and systems. So it could even be used as real pilot training. But if flown manually it would also do so without the complications in the systems and fly close to real thing ( tough I aware it is not meant to fly manual by manufacturers).

One thing I am not sure is for the fmc part. I know current CRJ have to manually input the flight plan into it as real life and the plan on world map won’t load in, just will show in vfr map. And ATC guidance should still work? For past generation say FSX and study level airliners like PMDG, are they the same in fmc or it can load the default flight plan automatically?

If you want ATC to work, a flight plan has to be entered into MSFS. If you don’t plan on using any of the CRJ automation or learning the systems, just use the MSFS World Map to plan your flight and don’t worry about getting the information into the CRJ. If you do want to use the CRJ automation, then the easiest thing to do is use SimBrief to create the flight plan. Then you can export it in both MSFS and CRJ formats. Import the flight plan into MSFS and the CRJ and then you will have both working ATC and the flight plan pre-programmed into the CRJ FMS.

Pretty much every study-level aircraft in P3D is this same way - NO default planner can be used. This applies to PMDG, Majestic, Aerosoft, Milviz, and Quality Wings. NONE of those guys deal with the default flight planner and they all come with their own Nav Database - and all of them can be updated via Navigraph.

I use them in P3D all the time and by now this is something I expect. That’s why it’s funny to me that so many on this forum are SHOCKED by it. Also, nobody pretty much uses the default flight planner in P3D for anything.

1 Like

if you wanna disconnect the AP and fly manually, nobody’s gonna stop you, and you can do that in any aircraft, study level or not.