Study Level IFR in the Cessna 172 G1000

Hello everyone,
I have decided to start a series on how to fly IFR, starting from the absolute basics, and hopefully helping people to learn to fly IFR.

I am a professional pilot, former military pilot/instructor, from the Portuguese Air Force, 3300 flight hours, I’ve flown both airplanes and helicopters:

• Cessna 152
  • DHC-1 Chipmunk
  • Socata TB-30 Epsilon
  • Dassault-Breguet Alpha Jet
  • Aérospatiale Alouette III
  • SA-330 S1 Puma
  • Agusta Westland EH-101
  • AW109 E/S

Most of my flight experience is in Search and Rescue and Medical Emergency in the Azores Islands, in the middle of the North Atlantic, flying below 10000 feet, in very rough weather. So I’ve decided to give something back to the community, and say thank you for the free resources that I have used over the years.

The idea is to make a series, guiding people step by step on basic aircraft control, how Radio NAV and GPS NAV works, how to think and plan for IFR, etc. We’ll see where this takes us and how far down the rabbit hole we go.

The first video is out, I have a couple more in the editing process, they should be out in the next weeks. I can point to some free resources that are excellent and will be used as the basis for the videos as we go along. The two main ones are:
FAA’s Instrument Flying Handbook: Instrument Flying Handbook
FAA’s Instrument Procedures Handbook: Instrument Procedures Handbook

I need your feedback! Feel free to ask questions, post comments, ask for clarifications, I will do my best to help.

I will post updates as more videos go online.

First Video:

26 Likes

I’ll be watching your tutorials grateful for your efforts to help this community!

1 Like

I’m about to start Instrument training, so this is timely!

1 Like

I have to add the caveat that you should ALWAYS talk to your flight instructor before applying anything described here in flight. Some things may not apply to your aircraft/regulations, and your instructor may disagree with some of the things I say!
Good luck with your instrument training! Work hard and be confident, with practice everything comes together.

2 Likes

Video 2 is available, feel free to comment or ask questions.
We go through the very basics of the instrument scan, and how we need to wait for changes we apply to the aircraft to be reflected on the instruments. We also talk about attitude instrument flying, and the Power-Attitude-Trim “mantra” that I propose as a guideline to perform all the maneuvers.
Hope you enjoy!

3 Likes

No worries. I got a leg up on my Private with PilotEdge & fine tuned with my CFI. Just looking for a good introduction. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Video 3 is uploaded. G1000 instruments explained, ADI and Airspeed Indicator. On the next video we will cover the rest of the instruments. Feel free to ask questions. :+1:

2 Likes

Fourth video is up. We look at the remaining G1000 Instruments.
Next video will be Autopilot.
Feel free to comment or ask questions. :+1:

2 Likes

Hopefully a few of your IFR videos in this series will be “IFR without GPS” – back to Basics - maybe in an analogue only IFR certified GA Plane :smiley:

1 Like

I am going to do everything in auto, then manual, and explain how to do it. More videos coming up. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

Autopilot basics explained, as well as what we should NOT do when using any autopilot system.
On the next video we start to look at all the modes.

2 Likes

Pitch and Roll modes explained.
The ROL mode has a bug, you cannot use the CWS function (which you can do in PIT).
Next video will be about ALT and ALTS, and their limits and modes of operation.

1 Like

ALT and ALTS modes explained.
Next video will be FLC.

1 Like

FLC Mode:

1 Like

Subscribed. Thank you! I needed this.

1 Like

VS Mode is now up:

Short video on Heading Mode. Next will be rules for correct auto-pilot usage.

AutoPilot Traps and how to avoid them:

1 Like