Stutter while panning through the horizon

The sim has been pretty much perfect except for this one small thing. If I look vertically from the floor of the cockpit to the overhead, there is, without fail, a huge stutter. It only lasts while I look through the “stutter band” and it goes away after that. But if I traverse that territory again from top to bottom (less prominent) or bottom to top (biggest stutter), there’s the stutter again.

What I’ve found so far is it tends to only happen if I lose sight of the horizon. Another interesting part is it can also happen in spot plane as well…but the view of the horizon must disappear for the stutter to show up. It even happens in the air, just for a second, then everything is fine. Not sure if the sim is quickly trying to rebuild ground assets, but it happens at every airport and in every airplane.

I figured it has to do with the terrain loading, so I completely disabled the “Terrain Precache” in the user.opt file by setting OffscreenTerrainPreCaching “Enabled=0.” From my understanding, this loads the terrain around the plane completely without the “fade in” of distant terrain objects after panning. Can’t quite nail down why, or how this is happening though. I typically fly with my TLOD at 300…but for testing, I dropped it down to 10. The effect pretty much disappears…but I don’t think it’s directly due to a lower CPU load necessarily. I think that there are just fewer assets to load that pop back into view as the horizon is brought back into the picture. The reason I say that is because with the in-Sim graph, I’ll still see a small MainThread spike, even with TLOD at 10.

The only time I don’t see this happen is when I’m near a large body of water. Tried this at Hilo, Hawaii and didn’t have the issue.

I also tried this with the sim running in safe mode in Seattle with the default Caravan. Same stutter through the horizon. If I keep the horizon in view, no stuttering whatsoever. As soon as I lose sight of it and bring it back into view, there’s the 1/4 second hard stutter again.

I’m genuinely curious if any of you have experienced/experience this. If you don’t, then I’ll be relieved that it’s just user error and can be fixed relatively quickly.

1 Like

I have the same issue but not vertically rather horizontally. When panning side to side I was getting the VERY noticeable shutters at the 45deg point in the scan. I really haven’t noticed it when panning vertically as you describe, however it sounds like exactly the same issue.

300 seem like like a pretty high TLOD but that is system dependent. I can technically get away with 200 and ‘live with the stutter’ but usually keep it around 110 to 120. Lower TLOD does seem to reduce the issue.

You might try capping your FPS if you aren’t already. I have recently done this and it seems as if the issue is 99% resolved on my system. I used MSI/Riva Tuner to find average frame rate and capped the sim about 3 above that. If you do cap it, I would suggest using Riva Tuner to do so as you can apply it while the sim is running and see the effects immediately vs. going thru NVCP which requires a restart of the sim to apply the changes.

I am suspecting that the issue might be related to having a large difference between the high and low regarding FPS/Frame time. If your eyes are watching a scene at 60 FPS and it suddenly drops to 30 FPS it will be perceived as a very noticeable event (stutter). However if the scene is capped at 40 FPS and suddenly drops to 30 FPS the event is visually much less pronounced.

Summing the last paragraph up, FPS/Frame time CONSISTENCY is much more important than maximum absolute values above say 30 or 40 FPS. This is effectively what the new frame gen features are doing. They are adding frames to eliminate the large variance between the FPS spikes. The perception is smoother NOT because the FPS is higher, but rather because the FPS are consistent.

Anyway, you might what to give it a shot. Hope you can get it sorted out.

This is what I’m talking about. Capping frames doesn’t do anything unfortunately since I’m using Frame Generation.

Now that I see it, this is completely different than anything I have experienced. Are you using Track IR? Could be a dead zone in the camera or something blocking the IR signal?

Just a thought, I really don’t know what else might cause that, sorry.

yeah, not using any head tracking, this is just panning with the mouse. So weird that i’m the only one experiencing this…

I just got a new PC and today I noticed this exact issue, so you are not alone. Only when moving the view vertically through the horizon. Didn’t have much time to study it yet.

Using a 7800X3D and 4090.

1 Like

I can’t quite figure it out, but I think it has to do with scenery culling and then reloading at your specified TLOD…that’s why setting a TLOD to 10 or 100 doesn’t seem to cause the issue as severely.

I am no PC expert, what I know you can write on a back of a postage stamp.

I have a 4090 i9 13900 64 GB RAM DDR5. I was always getting odd stutters, poor performance , especially panning around. I recently upgraded my my internert (well paying £60 less faster I GB download, from my previous most popular provider).

Now my sim is WOW, so smooth. So in my personal opinion wifi access does play an important part. Like I say, this is my personal experience.

Running on 4k

I dont know my FPS, just know if it is smooth.

Just another thought. If this started with the release of SU13, could if have something to do with the partial ‘horizon line’ fix they implemented?

I thought the same thing, but it’s been around pre SU13, just not this dramatic or noticeable.

Hey, This has been an issue for me since the beginning of alpha. 4090, 139000k… frame gen on. The more I push TLOD + the aiport I choose (ini KLAX is currently the worst) the worse the stuttering. I’m currently at 300 TLOD with just a slight (still very noticeable) stutter when panning up / down > R/L. If I went down to 200 TLOD at a well optimized airport this stutter goes away almost entirely. Would be nice if modern hardware + all the good addons at TLOD 400 worked… They’re slowly pushing the extent of playable TLOD or degrading the quality so that TLOD 400 is really 200?

I’ve got a similar setup as you, except using AMD 7950x3D. This is the first time i’ve noticed this issue. it’s really weird…even before when I was using Tobii, the issue didn’t exist. Like you, if I bring my TLOD to <200, the issue is not as bad…still there though. Watching the frametime graph in both the Dev mode FPS counter as well as MSI afterburner. I am used to running at 300 without issues. I did run 400 for a bit, but even with FG, I want 60+ in all situations. The thing is, outside of this band, everything is extremely smooth. It’s just on the ground when looking up and down. The worst part is, it’s on the ground that I look up and down most. Glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing this.

If i could guess, I think it has to do with scenery items being culled and called back into existence when your field of view is not there…I thought the terrain precache was supposed to take care of that, but i guess in order to improve performance, there’s something that’s lingering causing terrain to cull.

Hey! Yeah that was my assumption too regarding calling scenery items. FT KBOS used to be a big problem for me. Now I can max out traffic and have TLOD 400 and have a super smooth experience? That’s what’s made me believe that some developers have simply done a better job optimizing? Also when I pan at KBOS all the scenery items are consistently present. When I pan at ini KLAX- there’s a whole lot of items popping in each time I pan… I recently took everything out of my community folder except for fenix and klax that helped a lot too. I added back the things I needed one by one and so far I can play at TLOD 300 for the most part in the fenix. Also deleted cache and followed this guys video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4WNQJ77f0 that may have helped as well.

Thank you, there are some good tips in there that I didn’t know about…like the dynamic range one. I’ll also try setting “Ultra” on the low latency selection.

When deleting the shaders, someone pointed out that if you restart in safe mode, you can delete them all, otherwise you’ll be limited in the number of shaders you can delete. I’m glad it’s working for you. I did notice a hiccup in his performance though when panning vertically at 1:08. That’s what I’m talking about, but his is significantly lessened. I wonder how that scenario would work at night with the night lighting.

Glad you were able to sort out most of your issue. Gonna test some of this out later.

I can confirm the exact same issue it only happened for me in the night but after the seasons It is also happening on day time its a bug also in DX11 had it after SU11

Some stutters, for me at least, dissapears if you sync the time in windows. Yeah, weird. But there is other sorts of stutter that comes and goes. Not sure why. Has nothing to do with performance.

This issue is still present in SU15 beta.
It’s really disappointing that assets are off-loaded and reloaded causing stuttering when half of my RAM and VRAM are free!
This is default LIRF:

1 Like

Any news on the panning in cockpit - stutters?