Stuttering on Final (Still)

Hello,

I just landed the PMDG 737 in KPDX when my internet was fine the entire flight even leaving KPHX. On final into portland the stutter became so bad I could barely fly and then right when I flared to land it once again came up with the stupid pop up telling me bandwidth too low for data streaming. I thought this pop up was supposed to be fixed for this exact reason but I guess not. I dont know what happened after that because the sutter was so bad I could barely see and then all the sudden is like the my plane hit a speedbump in the runway and essentially flipped over. I know this was an issue with the last update was anyone able to fix this?

Thanks

Iā€™ve been experiencing the same issue since SU13.

When I depart even a fairly quiet airport, in this case Southampton, Iā€™m getting stutters.

Today I flew from there to Lisbon, a 4.5 hour flight. All was well until I started my approach at LPPT. Then the game started stuttering. It was very difficult to land.

i9-12900KS
RTX 4090
32Gb DDR5 5200Mhz RAM.

Did not have this issue with SU12.

1 Like

Hey,
I was doing multiple legs today LKPR-EPWA and EDDL on VASTIM with PDMG 737. During landing in EDDL, from about 1500ft to 150ft, super lags / freezings that in was not possible to manage landing - somehow I managed to go around. During second approach, the same thing, a little bit better, still unmanagable for autopilot. Somehow just about to touchdown, sim was again supersmooth. Any idea what causes these massive issues?

Just a thought - do you guys by any chance have rolling cache de-activated? I wonder if having to download intensive scenery on each approach is somehow the cause?

This is my theory. Having the same issues and came across this thread. Been flying to KLAX starting from KSBA and then KSAN (all 3 airports are third party), both flights result in 5 fps on final approach. However, if I start at KLAX, fly around for a bit and land back at KLAX the fps is fine. I have a 13900k/4090/64gb ram/NVMe system and normally get 100+ fps with FG on. Absolutely no reason I should be getting those kinds of fps issues.

Somehow those other airports must be remaining in memory? The only high utilization I had was my GPU memory at 20gb. Insane right?!?

Hi.

I usually have my cache turned on, though I do normally reset it with each WU. I havenā€™t reset it for this SU13.

Mine is currently on and set at 8 GIB, which I think is the default.

The other day I switched back to DX11. I flew from KPHX-KORD-KDFW with really the only stutter being loading in airports when I get in the area. It does still seem a little slow preformance wise.

Ryzen 7 5800x
Gigabyte 3070ti
16gb Ram

I have an old system (i7700k, GTX1080, etcā€¦) but have been ok with 30 frames lockedā€¦ after the SU, I, too, am getting stutters on final or near finalā€¦ even the occasional freeze for 3-5 seconds. This NEVER happened before and I havenā€™t changed one setting since the SU. Iā€™ve always had my Nvidia cache disabled, do not have the rolling cache on at allā€¦ Iā€™ve had my settings set for me near perfect and now Iā€™m getting these freezes and stutters and the message of low bandwidth; I do a test and Iā€™m getting 250-300 mbps so that doesnā€™t make sense to me.

It mainly happens only when Iā€™m arriving and hardly ever happens when actually departing an airport.

-GolfKilo

4 Likes

Exactly my experience and I have similar equipment. I tried cutting back some of my graphics settings but other than a degrading of scenery quality, this did not eliminate the problem. Like you, I was always having stellar performance before SU13. I thought they had tweaked the performance in this update to improve FPS. Guess their fixing made it worse. I am having this issue even with their default aircraft. I do not get the bandwidth message, however. It that is the cause then it is caused by an issue with Asobo servers and that they can fix from their end without the need to patch their update. I hope they will address this problem ASAP.

2 Likes

I feel your pain! lol

I think some of it has to do with the servers loading in the necessary data for sure. I also think that while they improved FPS for a number of systems (Xbox mainly), some users with older hardware (you and me) suffer because the changes they made maybe only apply to more current or newer hardware.

I may try removing a few items from my ā€˜communityā€™ folder that may be causing issues. Mainly the freeware items and not so much any payware. We will only see as we try things.

I just wish that we could only update the sim if/when we wanted to and not be forced to update just because we start the sim up and cannot proceed unless you update. Thatā€™s one of the major down-sides to having to be ā€œonline-all-the-timeā€ with sims and games today. Everything is forced upon you whether you want it or not. If I could click ā€˜updateā€™ when I wanted to, then it would be up to me if I wanted to move onto the newest build.

I usually get everything set so perfect and then a World Update, Sim Update or Avionics Update occurs and screws something up, somehow.

-GolfKilo

3 Likes

I agree. They supposedly vetted this update thoroughly in Beta, but as you say there are many variations of hardware. They do seem a bit over-concerned about their Xbox users though. Much of that is the ā€œgamerā€ market, but that may account for a lionā€™s share of Microsoftā€™s income so It is understandable. I have the 1080ti graphics card and up until UP13 I was able to run most everything set to ULTRA with a fixed max FPS set to 36 and I have never had stuttering even in heavy scenery areas with live weather and live traffic. I have 600 mbs through spectrum but, like all of us, that performance is dependent on Asobo server performance. There seem to be only a few of us who have reported encountering this problem so I wonder if it will get any attention. I am a retired commercial pilot, not a gamer. I am impressed by the degree of realism that this sim offered, but this new stuttering issue is a real deal killer for me.

1 Like

Today I flew again from EDDM to CYUL with the 747 from Asobo. At the start in Munich everything ran very smoothly without any stuttering. After about 3 to 4 hours you noticed that everything was no longer running smoothly. When landing in CYUL, absolute disaster, pure stuttering. However, you donā€™t notice a big drop in fps for me, maybe itā€™s because I have activated frame generation.
Before landing I tried a number of things like:
1.) FSTraffic deactivated - activated
2.) Online function deactivated-activated
3.) Rolling cache deleted
4.) Performance characteristics of my computer (AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor/ RTX4080 16GB/ 32 GB RAM/ 1TB SSD) checked
Everything didnā€™t help.
After landing, go back to the start menu and then start at the gate in CYUL, everything was perfect.
Update 13 has not brought any improvement to these problems for me. I thought asobo would have analyzed this problem in more detail.
Thatā€™s very disappointing

4 Likes

Believe me, this has broken it on Xbox too, Iā€™m on series X and we are getting the 1-2 second pauses in glass cockpit aircraft around any enhanced or addon airport and in photogrammetry areas

SU13 has broken the sim for most of us, PC and Xbox alike

Iā€™m on console only because my PC canā€™t run it and during the pandemic I got the Xbox just to allow me to fly, Iā€™m going to switch to PC when I can get the funds together.

I know a lot of PC users seem to think if youā€™re on console youā€™re not a serious simmer and just playing a game, but there is a massive number of us who fell victim to scalper pricing, crypto mining, and parts just not being available, but we are really serious sim users. I myself have a full flight setup as far as possible with console.

The optimisation they put in place was actually for older lower spec PCs, not really about console specifically. In fact, during the recent live stream they confirmed they had doubled the number of PCs being used to test and didnā€™t even mention console.

I greatly apologize if my rant offended you. It was unwarranted on my part. I have pilot friends who use the sim on Xbox. My real concern is that many of us were of the opinion that this new MSFS2020 was to be dedicated to a new level of realism that technology now allows. And indeed it started out that way. The scenery and the atmosphere simulation are amazing. But somehow, once Xbox use was made available, the upgrades focused more on ā€œpoints of interestā€ for gamers than continuing to improve the realism that was promised. Small incremental improvements have been made over time but the new emphasis seems to be now redirected toward the new 2024 sim which promises to be more of an action scenario ā€œgameā€ appealing to that younger less serious market. The recent upgrades to the Citation jets, TBM, and the Longitude done in collaboration with a 3rd party developer are a welcomed exception. But much still needs to be done: clouds still need much improvement in appearance as well as characteristics (where is the incloud turbulence?). We need realistic Cumulonimbus and Cirrus clouds. What happened to the seasonal landscapes and the icing effects that used to be simulated? And they never have fixed all the timezone errors. These are items that surely can be fixed within the existing sim.

2 Likes

No apology needed! didnt get offended at all, we are all passionate aviators so was just offering my view. Apologies if it came across poorly! I understand that some console users will be causal gamers, but the size of the community who are ex pilots, current pilots and just plain aviation enthusiasts in console land is definitely growing especially with the high price of PC hardware now.

I honestly believe that the sim has outgrown the console market with all the improvements made to increase the accuracy and content on the sim. In a lot of ways, I wish they would abandon the console market and concentrate on the PC market and make the sim truly great, but even todays highest end PCs struggle with the sim (made worse since SU13 but at least MS has acknowledged this and logged the feedback). MS are trying their best, but there are fundamental issues with memory handling in the sim that they cannot seem to resolve. I also believe they have shifted focus to FS2024, and from what I read that will be more game like.

If they launch MSFS2024 for the more casual user, and continue to develop MSFS2020 into a more serious sim product that would be great, but with the number of 2020 users on console they might have to give them a free upgrade to 2024 and I canā€™t see them doing that.

Interesting analysis. If indeed they logged our stutter issue then that is at least a start. The fact that even Xbox users are experiencing it may warrant their immediate attention . I tried 3 flights with PMDG 737 and had no stutters even with busy traffic. But now that I switched to their updated B787, I am noticing them even on taxi out for takeoff. And that is one of their stock aircraft!

Yes, if you go to the ā€˜feedback loggedā€™ section of this forum, thereā€™s an entry ā€˜747/787 performance on Xboxā€™ where there are a lot of posts from users all having the issues and the thread was expanded to include other aircraft with the same symptoms.

Interesting you mention the 787, I rarely fly airliners (more of a GA/Heli flyer) but the other day did a hop from Lille to Nice (Lille being 3rd party and Nice being the ingame enhanced) in the 787. Large stutters on taxi out, then fine for most the flight. On final, stutters and black avionics that came back, then on landing I got 1-2 second pauses while in the taxi to gate and the avionics kept going black, then coming back. They went off/on maybe 5 or 6 times during the taxi as it was rendering the scenery.

I did try a flight without the cache on, multiplayer off, preset weather, no AI traffic in the Sting S4 from Redhill to Thruxton (both Burning Blue airports) and didnā€™t get as many or as bad sky was very lonely thoughā€¦

I ran out of fuel on purpose on the 787 and I got massive stuttering. Here is the video I did.

Terrible Stutter

Definitely the avionics cause a huge impact on performance.

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly the experience Iā€™ve had. Soon as the displays go off, the flight becomes somewhat normal.

I really hope MS reads this forum and issues an urgent patch update as this has only been this bad since SU13 released. Whatever they did to optimise in SU13 has broken the sim for a lot of people. Seen many of this type of video all showing the same thing.

It makes you wonder what environment they use for testing before release, it must be unrepresentative of real world to not notice these issues along with some of the other glaring issues that accompany most WU! (Big hole in Bora Bora mountain, CN Tower melted candleā€¦ the list goes on). Quite frustrating really.

1 Like