Stutters on ground while taxiing and taking off, same as SU8

Same for me.

Previously I didn’t realise that enabling then immediately disabling dev mode had the effect of removing the stuttering. I was just leaving dev mode on.

This at least clears up the dev mode data on my screen, which I prefer.
Shame it still won’t record hours or achievements when this is performed, though.

Stu

1 Like

I see the issue at lots of places, also with different aircraft, such as the CJ4.
EGLL is where the issue is 100 % repeatable.

Hi. As mentioned I have tried all settings from low through to ultra.

None of them make a difference to stuttering, only the enable/disable dev mode trick works.

Stu

1 Like

And like your prior answer, you never answered my specific question.

I am curious as to your current Terrain LOD values.

I am really trying to rule out a possible cause of this issue, as IME, these stutters are almost always a CPU issue, and that points to the TLOD which has a slider that goes well above what any current commercial hardware can run smoothly at all times.

Kinda like clearing the Community Folder, or restarting your computer, this is one of the things that might help isolate or quell the root of your issue quickly.

Worst case? You rule it out. Best case? Your issue is quelled, and it isn’t a SU9 exclusive issue.

In any case, it behooves us all to try and isolate it. And I am blind without data from you. You want to troubleshoot and see if we all can’t get you up and running smoothly, no?

I joined the beta to further look into MSFS stutters. You reported stutters. Let’s work through this.

1 Like

12900, 32Gb, 3080Ti, VR Aero.
Airborne always smooth, even over high demand areas.
But low-level and ground - major stutters, particular;y when turning on ground. I will test further w/wo PG/ changes in LOD etc and report back. Issue disappears at about 400agl.

3 Likes

Please do!

Even when spread fairly evenly across multiple cores, MSFS seems to run its main CPU thread rather slowly per frame if those LOD details are set high. Slower than the GPU. And those CPU main thread bottlenecks lead to stutters. A GPU bottleneck does NOT stutter. The game keeps running between the frames. A CPU bottleneck stops time within the sim while the CPU plays catch up. We see this as a stutter.

Things like photogrammetry and traffic also seem to tax the main thread.

But if that main thread is making frames more slowly than your GPU, you WILL get stutters at or near busy airports in photogrammetry cities, even if you have the fastest commercial PC CPU currently available.

Yes, it DOES seem like there is more to this than just LOD, but it is one of the settings we can control to get smoother play without waiting for further engine optimization from the developers.

Folks tend to optimize for flight… but the ground is where your system is taxed most. If you optimize for the busiest ground scenarios, everything else is smooth TOO!

Have just tried with PG off and absolute min values for all graphic settings at LEBB. Also tried DEV mode on and off.
Still stuttering when turning on ground.
All in VR…

1 Like

Ah. VR is not my forte. I am mostly 2D.

What does your Dev Mode say is your bottleneck most of the time?

I suspect we may have got some pretty slow CPU optimization with this beta. Like, if I can get some confirmation, this could be a pretty bad issue.

At the moment I’m running LOD 100 for textures and objects.
On SU7 I was running at LOD 200 for the above, no stutters.

With SU8 came the stuttering regression for me, that’s why I lowered to 100 from 200.
This makes no difference to the stutters. Same for SU9.

It appears the sim is trying to access/write/read something (spinning white circle) when the stutters appear. That write/read/accessing stops when I enable dev mode.
What is the sim doing in dev mode that it is not doing without dev mode selected? If I knew that, I could narrow down the true cause.

I truly believe that this is not a graphics setting issue.

2 Likes

i think it is a problem with the log action during the flight, because if you turn on dev mode there is no log anymore…so i think in my opinion the culprit is the flight log

3 Likes

Strange not everyone is seeing it, though.

Hopefully a cause will be found.

Cheers
Stu

1 Like

That is exactly the point.
The stutter is independent of graphics settings and appeared with SU8.

yes, but the question is always, why do some have it and others not???
it is not a simple issue for sure.

1 Like

I would like to know that

Yes. Thank you.

That doesn’t seem to be the exact same issue myself and others are dealing with but it may be related, and it is similar enough, there maybe some overlap.

I thought we might all be experiencing the same exact thing. And if we all were, that could point to a major new issue.

What I have noticed is multi core threading is working across far more cores and more evenly than before. No single core is getting maxed out, even on my low clock speed laptop.

But that main thread is getting taxed far more this update than it was even during SU8, at least on some systems. So the CPU is still governing the framerate, even more than before, at least on some systems.

I think the theory about Dev Mode preventing logbook saves for you and allowing smoother play is plausible, because when working properly, that white circle means your flight hours and stats are saving, and they shouldn’t save all the time. Just every few minutes. And those saves shouldn’t grind your system to a halt.

Although you can force such a save by entering an exiting the options menu during or before a flight.

Could someone with more experience look at this Devmode file? I see that in it is the configuration of the developer mode. If we identify what it stops loading in this mode, we can isolate the problem. What do you think ?

DEVMODE:
DEVmode

Preferences do DEVMode:

Options do DEVMode:

Today I tested the SU9 beta and it’s the same as the SU8, sttuters and more sttuters. I decided to open the task manager and follow the running processes and today I realized that when the sttuters occur the steam Client32 always oscillates a lot. But I don’t understand much about this and I won’t be able to confirm if something has nexus in this sense on relation a executable it 32btis or 64btis.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for sharing feedback on this issue. This bug was already logged and the team is still investigating.
The original topic is archived so we are leaving this thread opened if you’d like to share extra information.

7 Likes

Could you please let the team know about KSFO? While the poor performance on the ground is a general issue, KSFO seems to have been hit really hard with this beta.

1 Like

I tested a new MSFS execution mode from the processor cores point of view. As I have an AMD Ryzen, I accessed the BIOS and disable the SMT ; which is the HT (Hyperthreading for AMD processors). This way I’m working only with the 6 logical cores of my R5 3600X, thus deactivating the 12 virtual cores. It seems to me that the performance is a little more stable and the sttuters have decreased (but they do happen). I think that here we validate that what was observed regarding the distribution of work in the processors should have a little more attention from DEVS.

In my case, enabling SMT improves performance overall but only very slightly (about 1-2 FPS higher). But what I’m noticing is that when performance drops on the ground, overall CPU utilisation falls a lot and no core is maxed out (despite being MainThread limited).