Stutters on ground while taxiing and taking off, same as SU8

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

If I switch dev mode on, the stutters stop

Brief description of the issue:

In default airbus (any aircraft exhibits the behaviour, though) while taxiing and taking off, I have really bad stutters and the spinning white circle appears during these stutters.
Vanilla sim, nothing in Comm folder.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Default airbus, runway 09R, EGLL. Take off and around 80kts the stutters start and keep going until I’m a few hundred feet in the air. This happens at many airports but I found it very repeatable at Heathrow

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i7 7700K, GTX 1080 32GB DDR4 ram. CH Pro pedals and yoke. MSFS on Steam

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

This issue first appeared in SU8.

Also noticed that when I reduce terrain LOD and object LOD to 100, this helps with the stutters but does not eliminate them.

Back in SU7 i had the LOD settings at 200 for each with no noticeable stutters.
My settings are High apart from pre caching which is ultra.

Compared to SU7, I have had to reduce my settings but still have worse performance.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Confirmed. I get ~10 fps (!) and serious stuttering on ground at KSFO, Community Folder empty. I used to get 25+ fps in the same place before the beta. fps raise to 25 fps quickly as soon as I leave the ground. Hardware is in my profile.

2 Likes

Double check for CPU spikes in Developer Mode.

Often with a new update, you just need to recalibrate your LOD settings for your CPU.

With the new vegetation sliders, I suspect CPU utilization will need to be recalibrated for many, if not most users.

Level of Detail and Traffic sliders impact the CPU more than the GPU and an overtaxed CPU causes those trademark stutters at or near airports.

Check this thread for some further guidance. But remember, the beta has vegetation and tree sliders which likely also tax the CPU and they may need adjusting, too.

1 Like

This clearly seems to be a bug with KSFO in my case. While I still get 10 fps on ground at KSFO I get 40 fps on ground at EDDM and CYVR. All the same settings, Community folder empty. I’m using the Deluxe version, all updates from the Contents Manager done.

1 Like

Yes. But what is your CPU doing? Those big airports near photogrammetry cities are the WORST.

1 Like

So where are the sliders for the trees?
Is it just one slider near the top of the graphics menu?

This stuttering bug started in SU8 for me, still there in SU9 beta.
SU7 ran beautifully smooth for me on the same settings.
I have tried settings from low-end all the way through to ultra and the only way to stop the stutters for me is to enable dev mode.
As soon as dev mode is disabled, the stutters start.

Stu

4 Likes

That was a misunderstanding of what came with this update before I had finished downloading. There is no tree slider.

I am checking out the stuttering in this Beta now. It does seem at first glance to be a bit different than before. While I am still seeing the main thread get taxed in the Dev Mode, I am not quite seeing the CPU spikes from before. Like multi threading is finally happening. But it isn’t really boosting my speed.

There is no Tree slider but there is an option in the dev mode to turn all trees red so you can see what effect the LOD settings have on tree draw distance.

1 Like

Exactly. I misunderstood that at the time I posted.

Message to all:

PLEASE BEWARE: There are several causes of stuttering. The one mentioned in the original post has the following properties:

1. Stuttering is ALWAYS accompanied by the white spinning loading circle bottom right corner.
  2. It has little or nothing to do with graphic settings or photogrammetry
  3. The issue disappears when the Developer Mode is activated
  4. Seems to affect Steam users (only?)
  5. Seems to be linked to the achievement or progress saves (hence the white loading circle) slowing the Sim down.

If you experience stutters on ground, would you please state if you’re on Steam and if the above points apply to you? This would make it a lot more clear what is happening and what the scope of the problem is.

8 Likes

Also worth noting, please restart your sim regularly while testing. There may be performance degradation for any number of reasons. Especially when moving a bunch of sliders around on flights.

I’m on Steam and I have the problem you describe on absolutely all flights regardless of region, airport or plane.
Enabling and immediately disabling developer mode before each flight hides the problem.

3 Likes

This is why think it may be a CPU issue. Heathrow is a notorious resource hog prone to main thread spikes. A universal issue would imply a different root source.

I agree with all your notes. For me this has made MSFS a very bad experience since SU8 and I see that after investigating many things, what for me is very clear is the load distribution on the processors needs to improve.
It’s not graphics or something GPU-bound, maybe steam streaming (very hard to tell). And yes, this happens a lot to me as a Steam user. Another thing that I noticed is that there are crashes due to the reproduction of sounds, such as the creaking of the brakes on propeller aircraft and the dampers, the sound of the wind when it changes in the takeoff acceleration run… this has caused micro stutters.
Otherwise, yes… is fantastic.

2 Likes

Photogrammetry seems to cause a bigger performance degradation for me this update. Maybe server load? Just after release of the update the performance was very good.

Turning PG off helps a lot.

and… or… if you absolutely need the draw distance, then lower your cloud settings as they have a huge impact on performance. Something needs to give unless you upgrade.

I’ve discovered today that the in-game “Texture Resolution” setting was the cause of the stuttery mess I’ve been experiencing in VR when on the ground or near 3rd party airports and other scenery addons. I lowered the texture resolution setting from high to medium and restarted the sim. (A restart is required when changing the texture resolution setting.) Lowering this setting has eliminated the stutters that I’ve been experiencing when flying low in very busy cities and add-ons. This makes sense because most addons boast about their performance-sapping 4K PBR textures.

i7 10700K, RTX 3070, HP G2

2 Likes

True

No need.

Workaround. How to get rid of "loading circle".

1 launch msfs

2 click your gamertag

3 click sign out → continue

4 press any button

5 click lets go

Also ms store ver.

I can confirm I am on Steam Also.

Stu

Can you confirm your current Terrain LOD value?

I haven’t yet seen enough info to rule out my pet issue as the source here.