Stutters Stutters and more stutters

ok this worked for me @f14billy suggested in another post.

“I updated my findings in this thread. Basically after further testing I found out that uninstalling the whole WUs package isn’t necessary to get the FPS improvements. Only the 3d photogrammetry cities parts need to be deleted. Airports, points of interest, procedural buildings and bush trips etc have no effect in performance. The interesting part is that those objects are only a few hundred kilobytes in size they can be easily uninstalled and reinstalled for testing.”

It worked 100000 times better when I did this. Im now going to try reinstalling all of them instead of the GOTY - 3d photogrammetry (since it was installed with update 7) and see how it works. will report back

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to just deactivate photogrammetry in the settings?

i thought so too but no. Im still good with all the others installed. I only removed the GOTY 3D Photogrammetry one and my stellar performance is back!

1 Like

I have an RTX 3080. Been trying to score a million or higher on the South Hampton landing challenge, it’s the last challenge that I’ve never yet scored over a million on, and I had to give up as EVERY single time I am close to landing it does the slide show stutter which often results in a crash. It’s absolutely infuriating to waste time getting close to the runway for it then to do this.

I am at 4K Ultra settings with only bloom, lens flare, and motion blur turned off. I have tried everything I can think of. I’ve tried increasing render scale in various amounts, lowering it, tried reducing LOD for both terrain and object all the way down, tried turning V-Sync off, tried half display resolution, tried turning off roaming cache, tried turning off photogrammetry, etc etc etc. NOTHING fully stops it. So I’ve given up attempting the challenge. It’s weird cause I was able to do a few runs where any stuttering luckily happened before I was lining up for landing and was able to get just under a million, but then at some point it kept happening when coming in for landing. I tried rebooting thinking maybe something was up and it would give me a few more clearer runs but nope. I’ll wait for the next patch/update.

Btw, I went into dev mode and it stayed at limited by GPU, didn’t see it go to Mainthread limited when the stutters would kick in, but then again even the dev mode read-out freezes up.

Mainthread limited is still probable cause, the fps counter is not infallible. No mention of your cpu but resolution 3840x2160 Renderscale 100 and terrain LOD 200 would be a good place to start, the rest high or ultra. If you still stutter lower LOD or raise renderscale

For me, its worst if I remove the GOTY 3D. My GPU usage only reaches 55% at KATL with LOD@200.

I guess it depends on your hardware.

For some of us deleting all photogrammetry content from the world updates except the USA one allows us to get good performance in the USA region on the ground with photogrammetry enabled.

My findings can be found here and your results may vary. Remember to restart the sim after deleting the content to see if you have any improvements.

I tried the South Hampton landing challenge using both DX11 and DX12. I noticed immediately significant FPS drop long with stutters making the challenge unusable. I checked the PC to see what was happening. Apparently MSFS was downloading a significant number of files, hundreds of megabytes, and then reading them into memory. I have no idea why MSFS was doing this huge download that crippled performance.

I paused MSFS for about two or three minutes until the download finished and MSFS completed reading all the files it needed(?). When I unpaused, normal FPS resumed and stutters disappeared. I was able to complete the landing challenge several times without any additional performance issues.

Pausing the sim definitely is not a “fix”, only a workaround. BTW I’ve noticed the same performance issue while on approach and final at large airports. MSFS starts downloading a huge amount of files cratering performance. This is very poor design!

1 Like

i9-10900. My render scale is 100 by default and both LOD’s are 200. Tried both at higher and lower settings.

If it says gpu limited in the dev fps counter and you still stutter you probably have a different problem and I can’t suggest any more than Zendesk can.

1 Like

Not going to bother with Zendesk, I’m sure they’re well aware. Some guy recently made a thread saying the beta test release fixed all the stutters so who knows, maybe it will be resolved next patch/update. I like most others also never had any of these stutter problems until SU7 so it’s something recently introduced by Asobo that I’ve no doubt can and will be corrected in some future release.

For several updates now MSFS has been GPU limited most of the time at 90 to 100% utilization. Every minute or so, there was a substantial noticeable FPS drop, sort of a long pause, not really a stutter. This pause was caused by the GPU COPY engine processing something. This wasn’t visible in the developer FPS counter because this was internal to the GPU. Switching from DX11 to DX12 fixed this problem because GPU processing is different with DX12. There is a slight decrease in FPS using DX12 but the GPU “pauses” are eliminated.

3 Likes

Interesting. I thought to look today and check my motherboard (MSI MPG Z490 Edge) BIOS and it was quite old. I updated the BIOS and went back to the landing challenge. It was rock solid smooth for the first 4-5 attempts but then got one stutter - short stutter though, not the slideshow. Later I got one more stutter, again not the horrific slideshow stutter, but it was coming in to land and it caused me to crash. As mentioned in the past I would often get perfectly smooth runs before the stutters happen and rebooting doesn’t make any difference. No idea what’s going on but I’m sure they’ll fix it as this never occurred pre-SU7.

That said, I finally started scoring over a million on that dang Southhampton challenge! What did it for me was raising my view height up two notches so I could better eye the blue target. Since then I’ve been scoring over a million each of the past three tries. I turned Dev Mode on to see the FPS and it’s about a solid 42fps, but last time I check I could swear I got 58fps but either way it looks just as smooth and fluid as I could hope for. This is my highest score so far - hate that bouncy lightweight plane!!! LOL.

Hello guys, I´ve had some stuttering problems after the last updates, specially in long distance flights, I was flying from KDFW to SCEL yesterday, I was flying the CS 777-300, the flight was almost perfect, it was so smooth, there was no problem till the moment I reached the coast of Chile, that’s when sutters began, and it was impossible to fly the plane. I really thought it was going to CTD, so you can imagine how frustrated I was, after 10 hours flying and at the very end everything was a mess; One thing I noticed was that if I was in cabin view the stutters were the worst, but if I was in external view there were almost no stutters, but the lower I flew, the worse the stuttering was, so it was impossible to land.
It had happened some other times before, the last one flying the Airbus 330-900 from LEMD to KORD, and the same thing happened at the end of the flight.
I have to say this has only happened in long distance flights (10 to 12 hours) and just recently, after the last updates; I used to fly very long flights and never happened before, I usually use the FBW 320 on 2 to 3 hour long flights and it´s never happened then.
Any suggestions dudes.

1 Like

As a suggestion i would give lower down settings on lod sliders lowest save and after a few or more seconds set them back to your usual settings, just to wake up the sim to get from waves to land :sleeping: as a wake up call to computer and internet

1 Like

Thank you buddy, I’m gonna try it.

I just completely turned off photogrammetry and it went away.I was able to takeoff out KATL and payware KLAS without a single lag!

If you compare your actual frame rates to the v-sync setting at 30, does the frame counter show that your in-game frame rates are not actually staying around 30 fps? I recently learned on another thread that this v-sync setting is actually a calibration intended to refer to a percentage of your monitor’s refresh rate. Thus, when I set the in-game v-sync to 20, my actual frame rates average around 36 fps, because my monitor’s refresh rate is 165. Sounds confusing but has proven true in my computer’s running. Check out the thread on v-sync and refresh rates.

when I set v-sync to 30, the frame rate is throttled to 30. This is regardess of whether I am using my laptop screen (144 Hz) or my VR (Oculus Quest, 72 hz). In areas with lots of graphics the rate may fall below 30, but 30 is the highest it goes. I will check out the thread you recommended though, as I’m curious to better understand what you are describing.

I have the same problem, :sob:

1 Like