SU11 Beta does not start and gives CTD after successful checking updates, Canada tiles CTD

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Brief description of the issue:

Opted in for Beta SU11 via Steam, updated but CTD during start-up.
Safe mode works, and installed 11 updates under content manager = OK
Reboot pc and tried to start sim again with empty community folder, HP Reverb G2 not powered on, OpenXR Toolkit V1.2.0 disabled, Switch back to DX11 and disabled all experimental settings but same CTD after successful checking for updates & sim continues to load then CTD.

Many planes needs updating to be able to start MSFS2020 SU11 Beta… So I like to see updates come asap for the ones that give CTD starting MSFS2020 SU11 Beta like:

• Microsoft/Carenado Cessna C195 Businessliner

• Flying Iron Spitfire V1.2.1

• Milviz Corsair V1.2.0

• Just Flight 146 Professional V0.1.8

• Wing42’s Boeing 247D V1.0.1

• Just Flight PA-28R Turbo Arrow V0.5.5

Currently 214 planes are ok from the 321 planes I own.
Scenery less an issue and activating them more more & more but no issues yet for SU11 beta…

UPDATE Since SU11 Beta 2 V1.29.25.0 all planes loaded again without any CTD = SOLVED

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Enter SU11 Beta in steam & start sim = CTD

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Cpu on a AMD X570 MB Gigabyte Aorus Master Bios F36F (AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7), 4x8GB DDR4 3600Mhz = 32GB, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT 8GB Pcie gen 4 running AMD GPU Driver 22.10.1. All on Pcie GEN4 Samsung 980 Pro M2.0 SSD’s. Windows 11 Pro 22H2 all with latest updates. Hp Reverb G2 V1 & V1 cable connected to a Pcie USB 3.0 GEN1 powered addin card. with MSFS2020 SU10, WU11. OpenXR Toolkit V1.2.0 running MR on Auto in OpenXR Dev app.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Fault bucket 1877737796661195305, type 4

Are you using DX12?

Same issue DX11 or DX12 Beta

Are you using DLSS?

NO

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

roll back to SU10 but world map does not function and can’t start flight. Full reinstall :frowning:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Yes, appears to be related to addons in Community

I’m able to load MSFS with some addons in Community, but I’m finding addons that appear to be mods to airplanes are causing CTDs. Don’t take that as a firm statement, still testing.

Fault bucket 1722836421495092826, type 5

Same issue here, all ok till beta 11, now CTD on the Canada screen and nothing in the community folder.

MS Store Version

Fault Bucket 122703578376640990 type 5

Event name MaoAppCrash

Amd Ryzen 7 5800x3D 32gb DDr4 Ram, Msi X570 Pro M/Board, Radeon 6800 GPU 16gb
Loads fine in safe mode.
I also take part in the Microsoft Insider for Win 11 in case that has any bearing on it.

Same issue here with an empty Community folder, but with many third-party Marketplace add-ons in the Official\OneStore folder. Crash in the same place, the “Canada” loading screen.

I was able to successfully load the sim after I removed all Marketplace content from the Official\OneStore folder. (Too many to list all here; 56 items from aerosoft, azurpoly, carenado, dcscenery, drzeweickidesign, flightbeam, flymex, flyt, flytampa, fsdg, fsdreamteam, fsimstudios, fsreborn, lvfr, orbx, pilotplus, rds, southoakco, sws, tdm, uk2000, verticalsim, wing42, and xcodr)

Fault bucket 1227035787376640990, type 5

Additional info: I’m on the Microsoft Store version of MSFS, not Steam like the OP. Sim runs with the third-party content not removed if I choose safe mode, but crashes consistently with it in my OneStore folder. Once I removed that content I can load with no issues without enabling safe mode.

I was having the same issue, but I’m not on steam. But I can get the game to successfully launch but only in safe mode and also running as administrator. It’ll ctd if I try normal mode or not running as administrator.

Having this issue on PC Store version. Loads approximately 50% then crashes. am able to load in safe mode only but without VR. As soon as I try to activate VR the sim crashes.

Do you have the Carenado Seminole? I removed all non-Microsoft/Asobo addons from the OneStore folder and was able to start in Normal mode. After adding everything back one at a time, mine seems to crash only with the Seminole installed (and of course that was the very last one I added back :roll_eyes:).

2 Likes

One thing that worked for me… Not sure how I got lucky finding this solution for my setup. I run a LOT of addons. Turns out removing any addon that added/modified VFX (like smoke) to existing addons (mostly planes) solved my startup CTD problem. Note that planes, etc, with VFX as part of their core package appear to be fine.

I hope this helps someone.

1 Like

I have the Seminole… I’ll try tomorrow

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

SU11 Beta (Steam) crashes mid-way through loading. Community folder is empty. No rolling cache.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A, crashes with no error

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Load SU10, choose Normal mode when prompted

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Core i7 8700k 3.7GHz, GeForce 1080, 32GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 21H2. Honeycomb Bravo, TrackIR, Warthog stick, CH rudder pedals

Are you using DX12?

No

Are you using DLSS?

No

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

With Safe mode I was able to log in. But the only addons I could have are in the Official folder, managed by the sim. I see that I have updates for a lot of them. I’m going to download those. Was it crashing because one of them was being loaded and needed an update possibly?

Multiple CTDs so far. Not sure how to reproduce other than run the sim in vanilla mode

5 starts of the sim so far, 4 ended in CTD.

Are you using DX12?

yes

Are you using DLSS?

no

EDIT 0: After installing the content updates in safe mode, the sim will still not load in Normal mode. CTD every time.

I went into the Packages/Official folder and moved all addons that were not explicitly Asobo or Microsoft into a backup folder (on the right). It re-downloaded the WT addons circled when I re-launched. The sim still crashes to desktop in Normal mode.

EDIT 1: I added removed even more addons from the Official folder, and now the sim starts in Normal mode! Here is everything I removed from Official:

Now to begin the task of adding things back until it crashes again so I can report on what specifically caused it (if possible)

EDIT 2: I added back all Carenado aircraft (other than the ones done for Microsoft, e.g. Local Legend aircraft) and the sim still boots fine. Moving on to the next batch.

EDIT 3: I added back all microsoft-aircraft-* folders. The sim crashes to desktop now. Going to start removing them in batches.

EDIT 4: I have narrowed the CTD down to this batch. Continuing to narrow it down.

EDIT 5: Narrowed down to this, it seems:

EDIT 6: I have narrowed it down to at least one official addon, one of them is the Gee Bee R2 and Z. I have a 100% CTD rate when they are present. There is another addon or addons however, and I am hunting them down now.

EDIT 7: I can confirm that all 4 of these addons with crash the sim 100% of the time:

I will now try launching the sim without any of them added, then re-download them one by one and see if the sim still crashes.

EDIT 8: I tried to install the D17 and upon finishing, the sim crashed immediately. Attempting to restart the sim also results in a CTD.

9 Likes

I have confirmed that the sim will crash to desktop while loading in Normal mode if any of the following aircraft are installed:

• C-195 Businessliner
  • D-17 Staggerwing
  • D-18S Twin Beech
  • Gee Bee Z & R2

This is 100% reproducible on my machine, guaranteed CTD with them installed, guaranteed success with them removed.

It’s worth noting that these are all Carenado aircraft done for Microsoft as Local Legend/Famous Flyers, however all of the rest of Carenado’s aircraft work fine (as do all other aircraft by Microsoft/Asobo and their other partners.)

Mods: I’m marking this as solved but I’d like it to stay open to learn if others experience the same thing. I suspect there is something about those specific addons that the SU11 Beta is not compatible with.

10 Likes

Thank you for your troubleshooting - we have escalated this to the team!

11 Likes

Strange, the Twin Beech and the Staggerwing don’t cause a crash for me but the Carenado Seminole does.

1 Like

For me on xbox series x i cant even start the sim it crashes when trying to upgrade or install the deluxe upgrade pack which seem to be the cause for us on xbox that own the deluxe upgrade, asked someone without the deluxe upgrade pack and he had no issues.

1 Like

+1 unable to load the game xbox series x

Crashes straight after clicking on update

1 Like

same on series x deluxe version

Here exactly the same problems. I won’t describe it in detail again now. Only so much:

SERIES X, many AddOns and since today in SU11 Beta. CTD directly when loading the MSFS in the start screen.

Great start to the SU11 Beta! :-1:

1 Like