SU11 Standard Content Mandatory Update download won't start - "You do not have enough space on this disk."

The first stage of updating to SU11 apparently worked: version 1.29.28.0 is displayed in the top ribbon when I start up MSFS and it gets as far as the INSTALLATION MANAGER page, displaying the icons for

• STANDARD CONTENT - MANDATORY UPDATE
  • PREMIUM UPGRADE - PURCHASED
  • DELUXE UPGRADE - PURCHASED

That’s where it gets stuck, displaying “YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH SPACE ON THIS DISK”.
However, that sounds dubious because I have 177 GB free space on that disk, and the INSTALL PACKAGES PATH appears to be correct. So:

1. How much free space does SU11 need for the Mandatory Upgrade download to work? (If I need to free up more disk space, how much total free disk space will I need to create?)
  2. Wouldn’t it be nice if the Release Notes for each update had that space requirement specified? (For example, it would be really helpful for the Release Notes to state explicitly at the very top: “To get started, this download will require xx GB of free space on the disk”).
  3. What do I need to do to get past this hard roadblock? I am presently unable to use MSFS till I get this solved!

I have the same issue.

EDIT: With 104 GB free space I can now download the update

If you update Deluxe Upgrade - Purchased, does it capture all the necessary updates or do you need to start with Standard/Mandatory Update and go through each one?

My SSD dedicated to MSFS has the same problem now. How can/should I proceed now? There is a file called LocalCache, can I delete that file?

It appears to me that both Deluxe and Premium Deluxe content are also updated when you do the Standard / Mandatory Update. I didn’t have to start those separately.

Possibly this is a solution to this problem:
I discovered that if I deleted everything from the Community Folder and also left nothing in that Local Cache > Packages folder except the Community folder and the Official folder, then the download worked.

Note: By the time I did that, I had 177 GB free on my C: drive but it’s quite possible that the download would have worked with less than that amount of free space, provided I had deleted all the folders and files in the Community folder. Once I cleaned up the Community folder and its parent the Packages folder, the INSTALLATION MANAGER screen displayed Required Disk Space 14.69 GB/68.07 GB. Therefore, it appears that the SU11 update was requiring at least 41.69 GB of free space to start. In light of all that, I suspect that the error message I had been getting before cleaning out the Community folder and the Packages folder, “YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH SPACE ON THIS DISK ”, did not accurately describe what was actually necessary to get the download to proceed.

I was finally able to get the SU11 update download to work. See a possible solution in this thread, in my reply to @Caphook444

Thanks for your reply @CayManTA . Unfortunately my problem is more serious than expected. The 223 Gb SSD has only 15 Gb left available. So a new SSD is required. Hopefully I can just copy paste the present disk and avoid a total reinstallation. Have to figure that one out.

A member of FS Economy gave me the solution:

Following the instructions I deleted over 60 Gb CGL files. After that MSFS told me it needed 42 Gb for the update and that I now had over 60 available.
Update went smooth and the sim was allright after that.

I do realize however that I will find myself in the same position with the next update.

1 Like