SU5 CTD on every sim start

Did you try disabling or deleting the rolling cache ? Sometimes faulty data there might cause a CTD ?

How far does it get through the startup ? Does it crash immediately or consistently crash at a specific position?

Thank you for your help.
I deleted the rolling cache before the update. But as stated above, I already reinstalled the whole sim twice and also on a completely wiped new install of Windows, so I guess at least on the new windows installation there cannot be a rolling cache, since the sim has never run before on the fresh install.

From the moment the sim window comes I can see the xbox, asobo screen etc. then it checks for updates, and after that it always goes to the screen with the cub in it and quits to desktop at about half of the progress bar.

It’s weird because it’s been working for more than 600h without any issues. Most stable sim I ever had. It also worked before the update on the same day perfectly fine. And after the update even when reinstalling it just CTDs all the time. While updating and also fresh installing it had a CTD at 100% progress all the time, I’m guessing at the point where it would usually go to the menus.

I have tried now copying the dll file into the folder where the flightsimulator.exe is, installing all the vcredist packages from 2019 back to 2008 and also installing the Windows 10 SDK as suggested in various other topics about this dll error.

I had this and I know others did. Because you reset the whole thing the logical place to look is the one thing that remains, the synchronised data. What the problem seemed to be is they changed the format of the usb peripheral file and it didn’t cope with it and crashed like yours mid load. Reinstall failed because it just downloaded it back. So it had to be manually removed.

If this specifically doesn’t work, is there a way of erasing your MSFS data stored in the servers ?

1 Like

Interesting! I deleted the 1250410 folder and it actually took me to a menu to set my user interface preferences. That’s way further than I was before :open_mouth: But unfortunately it still crashed after setting the preferences and continuing. And strangely screen narrator was on the whole time but I turned it off…

Oh and yes, I disabled Steam Cloud before.

I think there’s steam cloud and microsoft cloud ? I’d be surprised if MSFS data is stored on Steam servers

Do you have unusual hardware, something that’s not a standard joystick ?

I’ve asked elsewhere if there’s a way of deleting all of your synchronised data so you look to the system like a brand new user. Bit of a PITA but a bit lost for other ideas.

Thank you very much for all your help so far! I guess we’re on the right track but not quite there yet.
No unusual hardware. Only Mouse and keyboard and a Thrustmaster TCA Stick and Rudder, worked fine before the update.

There is a steam cloud but I am not sure what kind of information is safed there. Basically you get the exe and some settings from steam I think, and the rest (Official folder with all the files) gets downloaded from Microsoft then. Steam just gives the launcher instead of microsoft store. As far as I know…

Steam cloud is for games that don’t have online support I think, so I would guess it keeps copies of internal configuration files that games create on an individiual basis.

I started this thread Reset online state, no replies yet, as I can’t see what else you can do really. Your machine looks very standard, very like mine (still downloading SU5, rural broadband !), there’s no odd USB devices attached or PCI cards I suppose ? You’ve reinstalled everything.

Just to check, you have tried starting it without your Thrustmaster stuff plugged in since deleting the profiles ? The problem before didn’t show until you plugged the joystick in, whereupon it immediately CTD.

1 Like

Thx

No odd USB devices there, I even made sure to disconnect everything except mouse and keyboard before reinstalling the sim. Tried starting it with or without joysticks attached no difference.

Hi. I’ll be off grid for a couple of hours, I will check in later.

I reckon it is your synchronised MSFS data, which would explain the narration thing. Two things. You could try deleting the profile folder, starting up again, deleting any profiles that are in the controller section from the profile manager, and seeing if the sim will start without your controllers in. It sounded like it got started, you thought maybe you’d fixed it and tried to set it up again, logical thing to do, but it appears that there’s more problem(s).

The other thing is it will have generated another event in the log, which may possibly be different and give more specific clues as to why it’s crashed.

1 Like

I had an idea just to rule out my hardware could be the issue. Got the 1$ xbox game pass for one month now and downloaded the same via the Microsoft Store. Copied the content of my official folder over from my steam installation to the new one so it doesn’t have to download the full sim again. And could start the sim with no issues at all!

So it really looks like there is some cloud saving or something going on with steam that got messed up. I just haven’t found out how to deal with it yet.

I don’t know if it helps or if it was mentioned already, but there’s another folder besides Community that can cause trouble.

Have a look at LocalState → Packages.

If you see stuff there that was also in Community, you might want to delete that.

Then also delete ‘content.xml’ one level higher.

Just wanted to chime in with a ‘me too’ here (Steam version). Really sucks.

Things I’ve tried:

• Reboot
  • Remove all community packages and the content.xml file
  • Delete rolling cache
  • Uninstall / reinstall all VC++ packages
  • Reinstall Windows 10 SDK
  • Reinstall MSFS (including redownloading all packages)
  • Update / roll back GPU drivers
  • Reinstall Windows language pack English-US
  • Disable Windows Audio / Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services
  • Perform clean Windows 10 installation

Still no luck :frowning:

So we’ve both done the same things then I guess.
I tried to contact flightsimulator support but the answer is probably a default template… Everything they suggested me to do I already did, now I’m waiting for an answer again.

I also couldn’t fully remove steam cloud saves somehow and am still waiting for an answer from steam support…

Some extra technical information from my event log:

Fault bucket 1954161689135643872, type 5
Event Name: BEX64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.18.13.0
P3: 00000000
P4: ucrtbase.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.789
P6: 2bd748bf
P7: 000000000007286e
P8: c0000409
P9: 0000000000000007
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREB8F.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE8.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECE6.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECF7.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._1ed1ab8d41422f3ba57cd9123dd783f4e02920_7ec9c90f_f2b76145-5fc4-4ca0-b75a-520b25752dbd

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: fbc2f578-2411-47c7-80c4-7d1f298c656d
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 9c2e8bc4f3f1de426b1e93b3e29b7ce0
Cab Guid: 0

I opened my own CTD SU5 bug thread because I think I had a more specific problem. Apparently the main goal here is to keep the number of threads reduced to minimal and my thread got closed.
Other kind of thread, with a massive of generic loud complains are the ones that got priority so I just “attach my own” problem here hoping to get news about possible fix.
My case is 0xc0000005 windows event error with CTD as effect after some minutes of flight (from 10 to 20… never get to 30 min flight). I’ve reduced FPS and graphics quality to very minimal levels (never had a single crash of problem before SU5)
I’ve a windows10 with Nvidia GTX 2070. Driver just updated. No GPU oveheating (I checked).

Good luck to everyone.

Maybe one of the 1000 problems listed in this thread will get solved and this thread will get the tag “FIXED” as I see around…

Not very helpful but reducing the statistics I guess…

1 Like