SU5 graphics quality

I have already addressed the ‘pop in’ issue (acknowledged and slated for fixing soon) and other items rectified by the hotfixes (all in the thread above), as well as the data and building archetypes issues that are confined to certain areas.

The discussion is about the alleged ‘downgrade’ - or even ‘massive downgrade’ that has ‘ruined the sim’ and made it ‘unplayable’, as some are saying.

People keep posting that there are videos that prove it exists - is it so outrageous to ask to see one of these videos?

1 Like

Yeah, for a moment I thought it was NY

From my perspective, the “huge downgrade” that occurred was a combination of several things. Some been fixed, some haven’t. As I said, lack of good AA is the biggest one for me, but especially in combination with the other stuff, sure, that can add up to “unplayable” for some people.

Because when you compare it to before, it’s extremely frustrating to have something that you paid for, and that was supposed to be improved, get dramatically worse.

I don’t understand your concern though - if it doesn’t bother you, why not ignore these threads and just play or read more positive threads that you agree with? Are you attempting to prove that everyone who doesn’t praise every aspect of SU5 is delusional? I don’t get it.

4 Likes

i don’t feel quality was downgraded. The server was broken over the last few days/weeks pretty bad. They put in some fixes, and as of now (It will most likely get lousy again) the smoothness is great. I think a lot has to do with server/download quality, quickness. The graphics if anything are better. If scenery isn’t properly cached, or doesn’t load effectively, there is a downgrade, but I doubt it’s deliberate. There are more and more custom autogen buildings being added each week if you look closely at the ground. This game is annoying, no doubt, as the quality comes and goes, it’s never just BETTER. Always seems to turn lousy. It ran terrible(choppy, a CTD), for me last night, but just now it’s the best it’s ever been. And CTD"s seem to come and go too. Never stable. And the darn overexposure in the sky/clouds…when the sun hits at the wrong angle, it’s blinding.
If you up the user.cfg file terrain and object LOD to let’s say 6 or 7 from 2.00, you will see a big improvement, if everything else stays constant, which it never does. Just my humble opinion.

1 Like

I subscribe to this channel, and I think he has more idea about the changes than most, he even says Asobo are going to try and address the quality problem in SU6.
I can go through all the 20 or so channels and everyone questions the graphics changes.
I Will post more tomorrow

This guy shows how to bring it back!

No one can argue with the difference in the clouds, that was really noticable, think it was to do with film grain.

I am not asking anyone to praise it, I am trying to understand the issues people claim to have and pointing out anything that is clearly incorrect.

If enough people claim blue is red, and nobody says anything against that, then pretty soon the majority believe it and eventually blue actually IS red.

Most are ‘seeing’ what they have been told they should be seeing, in the same way everyone admired the Emperor’s new clothes. If nobody bothers to point out the truth, then the lie will be accepted as the truth.

2 Likes

you think memory utilised never getting past an xbox’s specs as not deliberate?

The first video simply acknowledges exactly the same issues I have already addressed above.

As for the second video…

If the sim can be returned to the same quality as before, just by changing the config file, how is that a downgrade?

Most claim the ‘downgrade’ was done as it was necessary to allow the sim to work on Xbox. If some small config changes can bring it back to its former glory, that clearly shows that this claim is utterly ridiculous.

This is EXACTLY the conspiracy theory, and total myth, that started and re-enforced most of this garbage.

The fact that some people still think this as a fact, when it has been CONCLUSIVELY proved to be false, goes to show how people can be convinced simply because they see others are convinced.:man_facepalming::roll_eyes:

Yesterday I showed you a picture that clearly shows that the textures went through the compression soft focus to save a few bits. xD

Open photoshop, take a 200dpi picture and make a 50% compressed jpg. Then you see the effekt in VR

Firstly, you have posted a quote, purportedly from me, yet I don’t know what that quote is as I don’t even speak that language (German?).

Secondly, the images you posted didn’t clearly show anything - we went through all of this yesterday!

Find the picture again and look at the details on the truck. The radiator grille is no longer defined, the wheels are blur, other things are also just soft. And yes, it doesn’t matter what primeval time, as long as the distance is identical. Also with different light, an object is still sharp and not suddenly made of cotton wool

1 Like

These are things I’ve noticed since SU5. Night lighting is back to pre-SU4 style with no variation in brightness or color, and the longer range highway lights that used to be in SU4 are gone again. The road polygons have been generalized to the point the vertices collapse and overlap so there are weird diamond patterns everywhere now. Because of this trees now spawn in the middle of roads. The clouds are clearly downgraded visually in almost every flight I take with occasional greenish artifacting and often being little more than white smears unless they’re towering cumulus despite being on Ultra. My local city’s skyscrapers don’t begin to appear until 10 miles out now so everything just pops on top of a blank slope and continually pops in more and more as I approach. At 10 miles it’s just an unrecognizable jagged ruin now thanks to the “improved” LOD loading. This was never the case before and it isn’t until 2-3 miles out that the final LOD is loaded. I have to manually edit the CFG to the equivalent of 500% on the slider to make it reappear where it used to. This was pure and simple a downgrade visually.

1 Like

The images are hugely cropped, so there is no reference to, resolution, distance, conditions, settings, version number or any number of other factors. The comparison is meaningless.

2 Likes

forgett it
the original was in the same thread. Both, same time (maybe 5min difference) same place, same 4k resolution
It is a fkg start picture from a mission

If you not found the truck, here is a litlle help

2 Likes

I can’t comment on the lighting issues I do not have any real data to go on, as it not something I have taken much note of, but your point seems reasonable and I am happy to accept it.

I don’t fully understand your point about the roads? They are odd in that image but I have seen that phenomena many times before SU5.

Clouds are now, and have been since well before SU5, a hugely contentious issue - this is not an SU5 issue.

‘Pop in’ and draw distance are acknowledged issues slated for fixing soon. I have addressed these earlier in the thread.

1 Like

This image is cropped, compressed and downsized - how can it be used for any meaningful comparison?

1 Like

you can find the original here in the forum search self!

Wenn der Topf aber nun ein Loch hat | Volkslieder-Archiv (volksliederarchiv.de)

I don’t know for sure how prevalent the road surface fragmenting was before, but I’ve always flown low and slow for the most part and didn’t notice it before. Now those diamonds are virtually everywhere on every road surface, thick, thin, curved or otherwise, and are a glaring change in the engine. Hopefully it is just a bug.