SU5: We now have smoke effects!

A bit of good news around SU5 for the realism crowd. Flying into New York La Guardia (KLGA) today, I noticed smoke coming out of some chimneys (as @Jigsaw407 pointed out, this is probably from the free We Love VFR mod). Anyway, I happened to be running flight recorder for the approach and when I went back to review my landing I noticed…wait for it…tire smoke on touchdown! I couldn’t capture it in a picture because it isn’t static when you pause the replay, but it is definitely visible. Whether the tire smoke currently shows up in any other aircraft besides the PMDG DC-6, I don’t know, but it is now possible to implement. Thanks and well done, Asobo!

You can’t see the tire smoke (because I wasn’t fast enough to catch it), but you can see the chimney smoke. On second thought, I may have caught it as it was dissipating.

6 Likes

Sounds great.

Have you installed the We love VFR addon from flightsim.to by any chance? Those VFR landmarks come with smoking chimneys (although their textures were broken with SU5 and are about to get fixed).

1 Like

That’s awesome. Now the question is of course … is it blowing in the right direction?

1 Like

Yes–and it has been updated. Link here.

1 Like

I think the VFR Landmarks had smoke before SU5 since it was introduced to the SDK earlier.

The only thing new with SU5 in that regard are the landing effects (smoke, dirt, water, snow).

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t remember if I noticed the smoke from the VFR landmarks prior to SU5, but definitely the tire smoke is new.

It is :slight_smile:

We Love VFR had smoke effects before SU5, but an update was needed because of path changes in the new version of the sim.
I’m still not 100% happy with it, especially because of a bug in the sim that causes the smoke source to move up and down sometimes. But I’ve reported it to devs. Also, the effects editor is evolving with every version of SDK so I’m sure we’ll get better and better effects.

5 Likes

We Love the We Love VFR mod!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. It’s great addition to the sim. Looking forward to Region 3, whic is hopefully coming, as I’m currently still traveling through Asia on my World Tour. :wink:

Thanks for that!

1 Like

First, there will be updates for regions 1 and 2 with a new type of object, but it’s a lot of work and totally new system that will not only automate the placing of objects but also creating models for them. All to be a bit more accurate and closer to real-life.
Then I think I will focus on region 3.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Looking forward to it!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.