SU7 VR comments?

Why did you expect any performance bump at all? Because of the hype on youtube perhaps?
DX12 is just an API. There is no flesh on it. The flesh is in the graphic card, its drivers and the game code. Which DX API version is used does not change anything by itself. Its just allowing the programmer to do things more efficiently. But it doesn’t mean that this work is doing itself just by upgrading the API. It also requires significant changes on the code in order to utilize new features and get more performance or quality out of it. The DX Api is just a framework, its not a solution by itself.

When you use DX12 in FS now, youre running same game code, just in the next version of the framework. There was probably nothing changed but making it compatible with DX12. I don’t see there any chance for a significant performance bump. Not yet. Its same code, changed just enough not to crash when running in DX12 environment. Nothing is rendered differently there, so you can’t expect any performance or quality bump.

In fact, using DX12 even costs you some performance. You just don’t notice it so hard with your 3090 and maybe because you have expected a bump. With my 3070 i have noticed a dramatic performance drop. Like from 60fps down to 10 or something. Complete Slideshow and unplayable in VR at all. And nothing looks different, exactly same picture, just slow like hell.

This is not really surprising, as they will certainly have to use workarounds, wrap things up etc… to make it compatible with DX12. That probably creates more overhead compared to DX11.

So no, The game is yet far from being a DX12 game. Its same DX11 game just put on DX12 rails. In order to benefit from DX12 specific features, the programmers will need some more time to rewrite lots of their code. Don’t expect to see any improvement anytime soon with DX12. For now its better to stick with DX11.

2 Likes

comments from my side:
I have good experiences with SU7. VR is working as expected. Yesterday night the SU7 was done. One VR flight with the PC6 (Milviz) was done. To me it looks good. The performance looks better than SU6.
The VR controllers I do not use for now. All controls are configured on the joystick. The weather panel is ok.

I have a good feeling with SU7. Let’s wait for more flights.

Yes thats true.
Before the patch you clicked on it to hide it. now you click on it to grab it and control it with your virtual hands that you have now. Obviously they didn’t find a proper way yet how to make both possible. But i think they come up with something to make it hideable again.

From my own experience now i can say using VR controllers to control the virtual yoke works much better then i thought. Its very accurate, not worse then using real yoke or hotas. I can fly with high precision, make soft touchdowns and everything. Im not missing my HOTAS at all.

What are you using for manipulating other aspects of the controls such as throttle, mixture, flaps, radios, GPS, DME etc?

At the moment hiding yokes is best done in 2d before you go into VR.

The other hand. Usually controlling the yoke or flightstick with left hand, and interacting with instruments and engine controls with the right.

Though i must say, it works very well for all the main controls. The yoke, flaps, gear switch etc… all this is working very good with VR controls. However when it comes to tiny buttons, switches and knobs the fiddling begins. That probably needs some more attention, something is broken about that. Its difficult to hit tiny buttons. And if it comes to inputting heading or altimeter setting with the knobs, its very difficult almost impossible to input something precisely. I cant say exactly whats wrong with it, maybe i just couldn’t figure out how its supposed to be done. I grab the knob and when i turn it the value jumps like crazy back and forth. No precise input possible like that. Maybe just a bug but for now you can forget any IFR. Trying to setup the flight computer with that issue is more pain then joy.

Yeah, thats definitely my issue with VR controllers. I like to simulate Real life flying and whilst I can see that grabbing the yoke looks quite immersive, it’s all the rest of the cockpit work that seems impossible without good old mouse and cockpit zoom, which unfortunately doesn’t work if you go the VR controller route. Maybe if you could use one controller to manipulate the yoke and the other hand with the mouse doing everything else I could at least imagine trying that.

1 Like

Ha, that is an idea, why actually not?

Performance seems good for me, 10850k 3090 quest 2. I would say 3-5 FPS higher than before… Only done a few flights though.

Does anyone know how to make the yoke/stick move with controller tilt axis, like in VTOL VR?

Cannot use VR anymore, was running very well before on my 3090 :frowning:

Mouse bug I cannot move or click virtual windows, camera is shaking a lot despite option removed …

Wait and see

1 Like

Didn’t check the forums before launching this a.m. Took me 20 minutes to figure out how to close the UI menus that kept popping up plus all the assists. Then when I finally managed to take off without a menu blocking my view there were rather bad stutters on any head turns and the full moon looked like it was being shaken harder than one of Bond’s martinis.

GTX 1080 no OC / ryzen 5600x / 32gb ram / ssd / htc vive.

Boo.

I updated my chipset for Windows 11…didn’t help. I tried reverting back to Windows 10 but that wiped my sim forcing me to reinstall. I tried your suggestion turning HAGS off…that worked. Thank you! I tried DX12 beta; framerate was OK but it was extremely stuttery. Reverted to DX11 and framerates were actually 3fps higher on the ground and 10fps higher in the air than DX12 and virtually no stuttering. I found turning scenery pre-caching to ultra helped the stuttering when turning my head. Putting it on low was horrible (particularly in DX12)

1 Like

I see all of the above - Toolbar broken, DX12 useleess, etc.
In addition, almost every time I snap out of VR mode - i.e remove the goggles and click ctrl+tab - the sim crashes.

1 Like

Haha yes that’s a great way of putting it. Everything shaking and jittering like crazy.

1 Like

Honestly, apart from the toolbar issue, which now have a workaround, everything improved on my side. no CTD on 3 flights (almost 3h) and more smoothness.

2 Likes

Well to be fair DX12 is in Beta and based on the one flight I tried with it I would say it is a very early beta. The Toolbar issue in VR though - should have never been allowed to happen.

Well Alex, thanks for your comment. I was simply posting MY subjective thoughts about DX12. I could care less what the youtube influencer crowd thinks, or for what you think for that matter. I suspected the new API might improve the VR experience a bit, and it didn’t, in the future, it may. I’m no expert, never claimed to be. The whole point of the post was simply to illicit thoughts, comments, and opinions regarding SU7 both good and not so good.

1 Like

Yes, me too on the CTD if I go to 2D from a flight that was paused….but that stopped when I ended a flight while still in VR, so go to main menu after you pause/end a flight while still in VR and only then do you go back to 2D. Try that. It works for me.

Maybe SU7 is the worst update (in my point of view) Asabo has ever released! I was hyped for this SU7, but Asobo’s history should have worned me :frowning:

To start with, my hand tracking from my Quest 2 is a pain in the *ss in the menu’s and the cockpit. I can’t disable it for what ever reason.

The performance seems quite good with DX11, but as soon as i switched to DX12 the simulator freezes and crashes, even in the menu after restarting the game!

I should expect that my GPU is DX12 compatible (GTX3080).
In 15 minutes time the sim already crashed 3 times, a new record for me.

I really don’t get Asobo, where is the quality assurance when they are releasing this huge updates?

Can I roll back, I would love to :frowning: :unamused:

1 Like

DX12 was marked as a Beta and clearly it isn’t ready yet so just turn it off. No big deal. But the other bugs are awful and many including me are seeing noticeably more studders and lower FPS where SU6 was clearly better. Ugh.

1 Like

I was hoping for a full day of flying today, but I have spent hours trawling forums and discord channels to find workthroughs for all these problems that have been introduced to the sim by SU7.

I am the first to welcome new technologies and new content to the sim and I would definately be the first in line to test out these things PRIOR to public release.

This update has been the asbolute worst one for me, I only fly in VR after converting a few months back, I have heavily invested like many others with time and money to enjoy a hobby I spend my free time on. So what have I experienced today.

More CTDs in 24 hours since MSFS has been released although the CTDs have been stopped by having to exit a flight to the menu then exiting VR. Why is that even a thing, was never there before ?

The toolbar issue is another regressive bug that should have not even be there.

I have disabled HAGS which was running fine before but the stutters whilst panning was another new thing, whilst still on DX11.

I am so disapointed by it all, they are only a few items but they are so game breaking, it is hard to ignore. It would have been easy to move temporarily to another sim but I enjoy MSFS so much and this is why I keep trying to find workarounds.

On the good things, the weather seems a lot more improved and the cloud environment is superb, it is a great shame that these issues are here and got through the final release. I am holding off the Reno expansion until this mess gets sorted out.

I will stop whinging now and see how the new updates from Just Flight are working out ( TY JF)
One thing though, the potential of this platform is phenomenal, it just needs to be handled better.

3 Likes