SU8 vs SU9 FPS side by side comparison

Not my video but felt it worth sharing: https://youtu.be/MvxBvQBZY6Q

Side by side FPS comparison of SU8 and SU9 (and DX12 and DX11).

This particular user is experiencing lower FPS in SU9 compared to the previous update. That’s consistent with my PC - I haven’t made a recording, but the average FPS with an empty community folder has gone from 37 ish to well under 30, plus far more stutters when panning the view. Despite lower FPS, the GPU and CPU are running at higher percentages on average too.

I know the devs are working hard and don’t get me wrong, MSFS is brilliant - they have created a fantastic sim. But the performance issues and ongoing CTD issues are clearly eroding the community’s trust and impacting on enjoyment. I’d like to see far more communication as to what is being done to actively address ongoing performance issues, and whether the FPS drops that users have reported in connection with this update were to be expected.

6 Likes

These performance issues were reported by many people during the beta. Not everyone may be affected by it. People’s experiences vary wildly.

7 Likes

@ezymsfsvids - I moved your post to the #self-service:install-performance-graphics subcategory where subjects like yours are being discussed. I also added the “performance” tag to help with seachability.

1 Like

Ah got it - sorry about that, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

i loss exactly 25% FPS in VR. But runs with less stutters…hmm

Edit: After some minutes in the same area, the FPS goes up. Now the loss are 15% +/-2
(No photogram. activ, only bingmap)

1 Like

Strange as for me SU9 seems to run way faster than SU8 - I have RTX3080TI and fly in VR (HP G2) I also updated Open XR toolkit and was able to increase FSR from 84% to 100% with motion reprojection on looks smooth at mostly 31, sometimes 24 FPS

1 Like

Exactly… this is the big issue, I suspect, is everyone’s computer seems to behave differently, especially with all the 3rd party mods available… my performance is actually SO much better in SU9 – my FPS is more consistent and no more stutters.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but weren’t you getting terrible stuttering in SU9 until you bought all new hardware?

1 Like

The only reason for low performance, or better said, the performance killers are photogrametry and AI traffic. And none of them have been fixed since release. We don´t even have a setting to tune photogrametry buildings view distance, so either you turn it on or off and buildings are seen from miles away in any case with a poor LOD optimization. The case of Berlin comms tower is a pathetic example: it switches from being a lego monolit into a pretty detailed model in one go. On the other hand while being on the ground you lose 15 fps making impossible to use any airport which is medium size and is close to a photogrametry area, even if it´s a default airport, so again mods are not the guilty part here.

2022 is being atrocious in terms of performance. After each update we go 3 steps back. There may be exceptions sure, but this is not caused by mods. I have hundreds of mods installed and 2 days ago I could fly at 10 fps higher rate, without any update in between except the SU9.

Flying over urban areas or with multiple airports close to each other is a no go now. The only chance to have decent fps is to go over Norway, deserts or things like that.

Cheers

The Terrain LOD setting affects photogrammetry view distance and performance, granted it doesn’t work the way I wish it would.

2 Likes

I know. Try to spawn at New York. Even at 25% viewdistance it´s impossible to fly there. With WU8 I could fly over the city at 1000ft hitting 50fps. Today, with same settings and same mods, I got a pathetic 30fps figure, even above 10.000ft. So, not much more can be said…

Cheers

Right. Everything has been said hundreds of times already since the sim’s release.

1 Like

Yes, but I still had the same 3080 Ti on my older hardware and had relatively great performance except for the last 2 weeks with those micro-stutters. My new hardware FOR SURE has helped my performance, no doubt about it…

What are your hardware specs? I feel your frustration, but at some point, the sim will continue to get more “next-gen” which will require our hardware to keep up with it. I had pretty “normal” performance w/ my i9-9900k, 3080, 32gb RAM but still would get FPS drops and recently those annoying micro-stutters. However, I upgraded my hardware this past weekend and it’s day and night different – so much better. But my i9-9900k is considered a great, “high-end” machine.

My point – I think hardware even 2 years old just can’t handle this sim well with its current lack of optimization. The FPS gains you speak of are probably after SU5 when they basically gutted the visuals to help performance seem better, but the visuals were meh at best.

I think DLSS will help a ton of people, just like it does with other high demanding games, so fingers crossed.

Yep. That’s PC gaming. When it performs like ■■■■, spend more money on new and better hardware, rather than rely on developers to fix it.

1 Like

that’s the nature of the beast. I got tired of waiting.

1 Like

I have a i9-9900k + 3080Ti + 32Gb RAM at 4400MHz. The machine is not the problem. I had no performance problems at all during the entire 2021 year. I could fly perfectly even on dense areas. As soon as I disabled HAGS I had no more stuttering even, so game was running really good for me last year. And now here we are, posting as only resource left to get things sorted.

Cheers

2 Likes

Someone with different hardware and good performance will always tell you the machine is the problem. People with any real coding experience generally won’t tell you that.

2 Likes

for the record, that is NOT what I am saying or implying. I fully know it’s on their side / poorly optimized. My point is that I don’t see the sim getting any “easier” for our hardware as it grows and grows. I could be wrong!

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t referring to you there, sorry.

2 Likes