Sudden Low Framerate When At Kai Tak Airport

I’ve been recently trying to figure out why my framerate would suddenly get so low when I was using various aircraft at Kai Tak airport. The aircraft that seem to be affected are ones that displays in them, like the A310, PMDG 737 and Fenix A320.

I noticed in the Display FPS menu using developer mode that my GPU started to become a heavy bottleneck all of a sudden. Then the frame drop will return to normal, only to suddenly happen again, and it repeats this cycle continuously. I also tested my framerate at another airport (KJFK), which seems to be perfectly stable with no massive frame drop like at Kai Tak. I also tested Meigs Field and Princess Juliana (KCGX & TNCM), and there are no sudden frame drops like at Kai Tak.

Here are some screenshots of the FPS display in Dev Mode

Framerate Screenshots

Kai Tak Unstable
Kai Tak Unstable FPS

Kai Tak Stable
Kai Tak Stable FPS

KJFK FPS
JFK FPS

This happens so suddenly and makes setting up the aircraft for departure jarring. I’ve also tried in some of the stock Asobo aircraft like the A320, C152 and the JustFlight BAe 146, which all don’t seem to have this issue.

I also tried the A310 with an empty community folder and get the same frame drop. I even tried to reinstall the simulator, and the same issue is occurring, so I suspect something is going on with either the aircraft or with the Kai Tak scenery. Is there any way to resolve this issue? I love the approach to Kai Tak and would hate not to be able to use the MSFS scenery to land there.

Testing Conditions

• Kai Tak Airport - Gate 6
  • Clear Skies
  • 12:00 (Midday)
  • High-End Graphics Preset - TAA
  • All Traffic Disabled
  • Group Only

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re using the handcrafted. If that’s the case it’s as simple as it being another handcrafted airport that is unoptimized.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. The provided in-game Kai Tak doesn’t even have any lighting on the checkerboard for the night time, while another one I found on a third-party website that is also free does have lighting for the checkerboard, so I use that instead if I want to fly into Kai Tak.

Yeah I resorted to using the freeware Kai Tak more optimized and imo better than the handcrafted. Same with TNCM