Suggested aircraft for a coastal trip with few airfields

I’m flying around the coast of every significant landmass in the world, always in GA aircraft and flying from airfield to airfield to make progress, never skipping sections. I’ve made it from the UK all the way to China so far (just about to enter North Korea!). Each flight is usually less than two hours in duration so I’m flying between airfields that are not very far apart. Eventually, I will have to do long sections of coastline with very few airfields, like northern Canada and Russia. I’ll need a seaplane or helicopter and some way to remember where I set down between flights. Has anyone any good suggestions on an aircraft, I prefer a seaplane, and how best to store my position between flights that is easy to recover, please?

Twin Otter is a great Canadian seaplane…

As for flight tracking, I use Volanta. It’s free and keeps track of where you leave your aircraft. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent, I’ll get it and try that.

Your ingame logbook will list your set down airport

Yes, I’m using that currently, but I’m wondering what’s the best way of storing a position when I land a seaplane in a sea inlet and shut down the computer before the next flight and want to take off at the same position. Does the in-game save feature work reliably? I’ll do some testing but I wonder if there’s a better alternative.

The Grumman JRF-6 Goose by Big Radials is a great amphibian. It’s a bit on the old side though so might not be to your liking. But if you do like them old then there’s the even more vintage Savoia-Marchetti S.55 flying boat ‘famous flyer’ that’s also really good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.