Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)-

Any further news on this, have they mention it at all in blogs or interviews etc?

With SU5, there is still the culling problem but this time it has shifted sides!

With SteamVR FOV 50% and the Index:

Before: it culls the objects too soon at the outer edge of the views (left on left view, right on right view).

After: it culls the objects too soon at the inner edge of the views (right on left view, left on right view) :scream:

Unfortunately Pimax just posted on their forums they reached out to Asobo and were informed they have no interest in a collaboration with them so it sounds like Asobo has absolutely zero intent in supporting wide fov headsets…

1 Like

and a few months later:

so what’s next?

Pimax maintains its Asobo that needs to fix it and Asobo maintains that its Pimax that needs to fix it meanwhile were left with no solution and seemingly nothing being done by either side to remedy this.

@Huggies89
Pimax might have something to do on their end, it doesn’t change the fact FS2020 code is wrongly culling out objects and this shows with the Index for example.

• Prior SU5, when using a FOV < 90deg, you could see Trees culled too soon at the outer edge of both eye.

• Since SU5, when using a FOV < 90deg, you can see Trees culled too soon at the inner edge of both eyes!

There is definitely something wrong here, and I wouldn’t be surprised there is a link with this FS2020 bug and another one: [BUG] Shader code ‘viewdir’ and shadow/light rendering are inconsistent on right eye

@CptLucky8
The Culing in the Pimax in FS2020 is on a completely different level. Huge blocks are shifted around 15-20% of the field of view. The angle of canted displays of the index are significantly smaller. and the index is automatically maintained by PP, so that it hardly appears there.

And yes, the problem can only be solved by Asobo, by changing the viewports. A little intervention.
Other software manufacturers using OpenXR have also solved it quickly. But apparently Asobo has little interest in supporting some hardware that is not branded by its client. At least that’s what it looks like for me.
“Will be examined” When?

3 Likes

@OlieTsubasa443 Any update on this at all please? From the sounds of it Pimax seem to believe Asobo are unwilling to resolve this problem, despite Pimax themselves offering to assist Asobo with how to fix the problem. VR Game X Pimax - P2: 8kX - OpenMR | Community

2 Likes

Yes, we need a solution soon as possible. Any work around until then ?

Please Asobo, fix this issue so that Wide FOV VR headsets such as the Pimax 8KX (and a few others), will work with sufficient performance in MSFS2020 without engaging Parallel Projection. Your customers are your word-of-mouth marketing team - so it’s important to acknowledge and address issues such as this, where there is clearly a good appetite to see them happen … many thanks in anticipation.

3 Likes

I have had black checkerboarding/culling on airport and water terrain since SU5 even on standard fov headset (Quest 2)

I have also seen a thread of similar impacts in 2d

asobo/ms, please look into this issue for large fov hmd’s.

3 Likes

Yep they need to go Non-parallel projection. Swallow their pride and call Pimax.

2 Likes

Yes upvote this until it has an su# assigned!

3 Likes

Asobo Please fix this & remove the parallel projection requirement!

2 Likes

Unlike other games, running MSFS without parallel projections works perfectly except the culling is wrong on the left and right. SO CLOSE! Most other apps have you cross eyed and other issues too…so i feel like this should be an EASY fix (politely understanding coding is NOT easy, so love to our coderz). Keep upvoting until we get a SU# assigned!

2 Likes

Is Asobo or Microsoft even Listening ???

What bothers me is that this barely needs any work to get fixed , yet they still refuse to fix it. Its just culling, which means the sim is intentionally clipping off the rendering of textures and objects outside of around 110 degrees FOV. There’s nothing wrong with the rendering itself. It’s just limited on purpose to offload the GPU.

This fix can be done with 2 lines on code in a Unity game/application.

Well well… as long as narrow FOV headsets such as G2 doesn’t need it, they wont bother fixing it.

Ive contacted Asobo multiple times regarding this. As a Pimax representative.

Haven’t got even one single response.

Thanks for that.

10 Likes

So glad to hear you working so hard to get this done! I’m such a fan of the 8k X

Thanks Pimax!

2 Likes

Also, thanks for your video on the vr hand motion/controllers and workarounds.

1 Like