Taking VR to the next level. Home setups

Taking VR to the next level in my house.

I’ll start things off.
My setup.
Valve Index.
3x Buttkickers (Engine Vibration)
Sim Racing Studio Wind simulation. 2 Fans (Speed Controlled)
X52 Flight stick.
Logitech Z906 500 watts

When I fly in VR I get engine vibration and wind simulation. I couple this with the external audio in which I tuned the Logitech z906’s to the headphone speakers with lots of bass and volume. This expands the audio platform very well. The added speed regulated wind simulation is exceptional, when I stall in the air there’s no wind, way cool. Starting the engine cold in the by-plane is exciting every time, when it kicks in it feels and sounds so amazing. When in the air I will sometimes do a loop keeping my focus on one spot on the ground and I’ll lift my feet off the ground and point my toes as I pull my turn. I tell you, you have to try that, it 's a real experience. It’s like letting go of everything. If you see a by-plane flying around Kathmandu, Nepal, I’ll be me.

Cheers and stay safe,
PACO572

11 Likes

Welcome to the club!

1 Like

wind simulation ? You DO realise that pilots are inside cockpits eh ?

1 Like

Perhaps if your read my post. I’m in a bi-plane eh. LOL!!

Cheers,
PACO672

I love it. That’s awesome. Love the fans.

1 Like

My apologies LOL*2

1 Like

congrats, looks awesom

1 Like

Thanks for the nice comments. Air, vibration and full balanced sound really bring the level of fun to the extreme. For a low budget hollow deck if you will. Not bad at all I say.

Cheers,
Stay safe,
PACO572

Hmm cool stuff. Someone should build an interface on top of simconnect that correlates the fan speed with your airspeed

1 Like

But I do use software to do just that. Yes my fans are controlled via telemetry from the game based on speed. So is the engine RPM to the buttkickers. Telemetry data based air and vibration using speed and engine rpm’s directly from the sim. Hope that explains it bit further.

Cheers
PACO572

Oh didn’t realize, cool!

1 Like

You might want to share a video of your impressive setup in action!

1 Like

This is my VR setup! I made my own throttle and flaps and the open space allows me to not worry about hitting anything. Great for entertainment and practicing right seat ops

2 Likes

Very nice, I’ve been building my own rig this winter (and have the same wheel for now too, though I’m eyeing up a direct drive!).

Have to agree, tactile transducers add so much to the VR experience, they are a must have for seated sim type games imo.

1 Like

Nice honeycomb. Been waiting to pull the trigger on one for a while now…

1 Like

Very nice. I have some home made transducers under the shifter. (25watt amp-8ohm@1x 25watt/4ohm/plus/1x5watt/4ohm transducers), 2 different transducers to avoid harmonic cancellation; to give “Subtle” vibration to the shifter with out having it to go through the seats 3 buttkickers. Works very well as I get translation from the shifter transducers to the steering wheel with no numbing effects which can easily occur under heavy vibration… My desk is pretty solid.

I like your setup.

Cheers,
Stay Safe,
PACO572

Here’s my VR setup. It works really really well! The stands are the Wheel Stand Pro’s for the Saitek yoke using the honeycomb clamps to secure it down. It’s very stable and I’d recommend it to anyone that is looking for an independent VR setup away from their desk. I have everything feeding into one USB hub so clean up takes approximately 1 minute to unplug the single USB into the PC and to move the stands away.

3 Likes

So here’s my do-everything setup, still in progress so there’s some tidying up to do and further things planned as well (next step is G-seat and belt tensioner). I’ve built it for flying, driving and space games both in flatscreen and VR so it’s a bit of a jack of all trades master of none situation.

It’s a full DIY build, specs out of interest:

Thrustmaster T-300RS wheel, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, DIY FCU style button box, 2x android 8" tablets, MFG crosswinds rudder pedals/DIY loadcell racing pedals, BK-104 Advance under the seat and Mini-LFE on the back powered by a behringer NX3000D. Loadcell brake has an additional transducer for ABS feedback. All transducers are on seperate channels so effects can be parted out - for example in MSFS the big BK-104 handles engine rumble, landing gear travel, ground bumps etc while the Mini-LFE handles flap travel, stall buffet etc.

To run the transducers using physics based events rather than audio I use Simshaker for Aviators and Andre’s sound module for MSFS/DCS, for IL2 I use Sim Shaker Wings and for driving I use Simhub which is just awesome.

The pedal platform and upper module are electronically actuated (DIY actuators), and I plan to make the seat adjustment electric too in the near future. The nice thing about the top module being movable is that it makes getting in/out easier and is also useful for moving it out the way if using VR controllers so you don’t hit your hands.

As mentioned future plans are for G-seat and Belt tensioners, and longer term I’d like to look at mounting the whole think on SFX-100 style motion actuators. Nearer term I’m looking at swapping the T300RS for a VRS direct drive wheel (will DIY a wireless rim with quick release so it’s easy to get out of the way if not using it), building an H-pattern shifter, and I’d love to get some Virpil kit at some point to replace the warthog and also add the option for centre mounting the joystick.

2 Likes

I thought mine was complicated, Your is “art” my friend. Do you drive Forza…LOL!!
The VR must be fantastic. Yes I’m so jealous. It’s got a WOW factor. Have you tried pointing your toes while hold one spot on the ground while flying in VR…it’s pretty cool…HEHE

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Stay Safe,
PACO572

1 Like

VR + wind and sleeping bad should make a nice hanglaider sim. It is so cool to look outside of the aircraft downwards with VR

3 Likes