Taxi Objective pointer wont disappear during flight (Remains at end of runway)

Yeah this has only ever happened to me at uncontrolled airports so it likely is related to that. Maybe because you never have to switch to the tower and there’s a specific check somewhere for the ribbon to stay until the tower trigger is crossed. Notice that at controlled airports the ribbon actually changes when you approach the hold line and flips from the taxi/marker thing to a ribbon to enter the runway (and the marker dissapears at this point). Makes me think the taxi system is actually two parts, one to get you to the runway and the second to get you in position for take off. With uncontrolled airports it apparently never, or rarely, gets to switch to the second part (where the marker would dissapear).

Weird they didn’t just put a simple back-up check on if your wheels have left the ground. If it’s too complicated to fix with AI logic, just brute-force it to dissapear when the gear goes up or something. Or just when the sim recognizes you’ve entered the runway, which it does check for. It’s such a common issue, and has been around for so long, that it’s really starting to stand out for what should be a simple “if/Then” fix

The simple answer is to make sure you request taxi clearance first. That was my mistake. If you request take off clearance first, by accident or otherwise, then request taxi, it’s too late.

1 Like

this does not solve the issue with uncontrolled airports, as you simply cannot request taxi there.
And even if you follow the correct procedure

• announce taxi
  • announce take off

the pointer will be stuck to the airport and stay with you all the flightr unless you use one of the work-arounds presented here in this thread.
But this does not solve the problem, that the SIM does not recognize your departure and therefore you will end up without a logged take-off in your logbook.

There simply is a bug related to tracking the progress of flight when on an uncontrolled airport.

For some reasons, they decided to track the “objectives” instead of logging ground contact of the aircraft.

I hope they solve it at some point, as I switched from IFR to VFR with the release of VR and therefore have many unlogged takeoffs now…
And as every pilot knows: the logbook is of fundamental importance.

1 Like

I’ll shoot some footage later, and show you.

This is why I use mods to make the pointers invisible.

I just shot this of me taking off at an untowered airport…well, after remembering to turn on the fuel of course! I also forgot to turn off my mic, so there are loud clicks as I flip physical switches, so sorry about that! :slight_smile:

I request taxi, the lines appear, I enter the runway, the lines disappear. I take off, then announce landing, taxi off the runway, and finish the flight. Both the take off, and landing were recorded, and no taxi markers left behind. If you don’t press option 1, to announce taxi, and instead just just rolling, or announce take-off, they will remain behind.

interesting to see.
Maybe it is a “european” issue or only when there is a holding point on the taxiway.
I can assure you I do exactly the same, eg. at LOAU airport.
When getting close to the pinned point, it disappears, but as soon as you line up and take-off it comes back and the annoying pointer stays in my FOV indefinitely…

1 Like

I also left open the Objectives window for a reason, and I suggest you try the same. That entire process is tied to those Objectives, and it will show you the step you are stuck at, and may point to what is going wrong for you.

I’m sure this bug has to be on a list somewhere, it’s probably the most annoying issue for me (as I fly into a lot of uncontrolled airports)!

Also related, take-offs are not recorded in these instances. At least it helps to equalise my take-off to landing ratio!

One additional thing I’ve noticed (and this may happen on controlled airports too), the indicator for the runway shows an incorrect number.

2 Likes

If you are told to taxi to runway 27, it will show you a marker there for runway 9, the heading you would be on approaching that end. That sounds like a very simple bug to fix.

As for your logging issue, its easy to workaround that as my video shows.

I’ve done the same thing, follow procedures etc and rarely does the take-off marker disappear. The few times it does disappear I’m sure that part of the taxiing required going the opposite way down a runway!

Quickest workaround I know is just turn off the ■■■■ UI indicator in settings!

1 Like

tried it again, turned objectives on and it get stuck at “Taxi to edge of runway”

I tried 3 times, not exceeding 15kts taxi speed, stoppinng at holding point, stopping where the marker is, moved around very slowly to find the right spot, nut no chance.
The objective stays the same and marker stays forever, takoff not logged.

Doing the very same on controlled airport and it works perfectly fine…

I again tried it at LOAU (my homebase i fly out IRL).

LOAU has a tower, so that should be no problem, right? I was about to test this. Just shot a video, and that was a stiff crosswind.

This was one of those awkward airports where Ground, and Tower, share the same frequency, even though the map indicates it just has Tower.

It seems to upset your ATC options, but I was still able to request taxi, follow the lines to the runway, and they disappeared as I entered. The bit that doesn’t work so nicely is after landing. You don’t have the option to request taxi to parking, but the marker is there all the same, and both take-off, and landing are recorded.

I also do the same, and mine never disappear either.

impressive crodswindlanding! Great job!

Thsnk you for checking it out and sharing here.

It confused me even more and let me question if we have the same SIM.
Becaise in my Version, LOAU is uncontrolled. No Tower, no Ground. Just Traffic Information, like - in real life.

So where you request taxi, I announce taxi.
And when I land, you request hand-off where I declare clear of runway.

I will have to figure out how to record a video amd upload it here and will show you.

Maybe this is part of some mod (I use navigraph data) that is changing type of airport and ultimately confuses the ATC engine?

But I’d say I’ll wait till update is out and check again with latest version first.

But thank you for investing time to help. Highly appreciated!

1 Like

I think it was 27kts, way above what I should have been flying a 172 in.

I actually forgot one thing. I have Navigraph data installed, so that would explain the different ATC behaviour. Actually, I just re-read you post, and you have Navigraph also. I have cycle 2101 Rev.2.

You are right about announcing being clear of the runway. If it was without it, I would probably have got the announce clear of runway option the second I left the runway. As far as logging is concerned that will pan out one of two ways:

1. If you announce clear, and stop right where you are at shutdown, even if just off the runway, it always logs.

2. If you announce clear, then proceed to taxi to a parking spot, it sometimes logs. I’m not sure why that is.

It’s unusual, as far as I know, but I have seen it, where a small airport has a tower, and ground, and ground has no taxi options. I suspect it’s a a bug related to Navigraph. Charts+ doesn’t show either.

I was on Navigraph 2102 Rev.1 and updated it to Rev.2 after I saw you have it, just too rule out any difference between databases in use.

And guess what! Now my LOAU has a controlled airport as well and therefor the objective pointer dissapears as it should.

So while I can now fly from my homebase without issues, it comes with the backdrop in realism, as the airfield simply is uncontrolled in real life…

Will monitor what happens on other uncontrolled airlields, because I had this issue on every uncontrolled Airfield in the past.
But I am not sure if I ever had it before injecting Navigraph, so maybe it really is more about duplicate frequencies where the handover to tower for departure fails and therefore the objective gets stuck there…

1 Like

I think these cases are rare. I think I’ve only seen 2 or 3 other airstrips with that tower/ground behaviour, with ground not having many options. I’m sure it’s a bug.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.