TCAS and Vatsim integration

It would be great to have TCAS see and alert to vatsim traffic. As currently you have to really look outside the aircraft to see the traffic.

Would love to have the traffic awareness like we do in the real cockpit

I also think this could be done in sim connect

Already done in sim connect, and in the WT mods

2 Likes

Any idea if that is working with the fbw a32nx and the crj?

Not sure about FBW, CRJ by aerosoft has always had TCas that works with vatsim included

Regards

I’ll test it out on vatsim and see ty

I’ve posted sometime ago my point of view about TCAS in the simulation (see below).

There is a difference between TCAS (what I believe you’re asking for in the topic) and displaying aircraft icons around you. This is one such example illustrating for example the RXP products are much more than just a “simple” software bridging the Garmin trainer to the simulator, and you might want to read this to know why:

I wish I could help my fellow simmers, however there are many road blocks in the way:

4 Likes

Combining the above listed MSFSTrafficService with the WT G3000 mod shows VATSIM traffic. Works well with Longitude, would assume same in TBM930.

yes, this addon is a traffic viewer, not a TCAS (but description doesn’t say it is a TCAS).
it can be compare to Weather radar of the sim which is only a cloud viewer, not a weather Radar. All are nice and usefull “toys” but not simulation of real avionics behavior (that is coherent with the product himself :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

@Nirgal2776 What is coherent to me for now is that we’ve been specializing about this for 20 years in all flight simulator and x-plane versions, and this is the first time the simulator developers and I are not working together.

It is indeed important to understand a TCAS is not a traffic viewer. In the Reality XP GTN and Reality XP GNS products for example, we’re embedding an authentic simulation of the Ryan TCAD B9900BX (with agreement with Ryan International - now Avidyne). Although TCAD is the most ubiquitous solution world wide, there are other solutions available mostly in the US only, like TIS. The TIS type of traffic information is a little bit more like what you’re describing, a traffic viewer, except in the GTN for example, the Garmin proprietary implementation is augmenting the data with projected tracks/interception cues in order to help the pilot.

But back to the traffic viewer remark, there is indeed much more to traffic for a pilot than just displaying icons around your position on the map. To see what I mean, here is the GNS manual describing the interface and operations:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/2888_Non-GarminDisplaysPilotsGuideAddendum.pdf

You are not the only one. Lots of historical 3rd party dev seems to be put out of the process (generally those that push the sim to a high level of realism and fidelity). But perhaps we are just wrong and we are waiting of this sim what it is is not intend to be.

You can be pessimistic, sure.
But you also could say “they were not yet put into the process”.

Can’t have all at once in such a project and there’s plenty of time in future to get better.
If you see what they did with WorkingTitle and step by step with some 3rd party devs shows that they are in no way against working together.

i have not the same point of view about working title integration than you, especially in term of opening and enlarging collaboration with 3rd party dev (all wanted, not only those selected by MS, and i say MS, not Asobo), but it is personnal and yes, perhaps i’m pessimistic :wink:

2 Likes

Was this really back in may 2021 … how little things have changed since then, and the same mistakes that were made (and corrected) over the past 20 years, are being made all over again, without the benefit of learning from past experience.

2 Likes

Fbw a32nx now has tcas and alerts so works a treat