Technical question, why is looking around smoother with the headset than with gamepad/controller?

I notice in a lot of fps-heavy VR games that looking/moving around with the headset is a lot smoother than the same movement done with the gamepad. For example, when I fly and want to look at a point on the ground, I can either keep my head still and look at it with gamepad, or the other way around. With gamepad it is noticably less smooth. It seems to be related to how reprojection works, but not sure. I am on Reverb G2 and WMR. Am I the only one who experiences this?

I get this too, even with motion reprojection turned off. I have no idea why.

yes, it is so strange, is not it

I do not fly VR or Eyetracking, but chose the path of IR tracking but still very intriged with these effects,

If you focus at object on the ground and see the cockpit passing by, then grab or relay with your eye part of the cockpit just passing then you feel smoothness with speed,

If done with controller or gamepad, the responsiveness of the eye is quicker, and the hand is eassier to be destracted, because the eye says to the hand look at tha., oh no look there wow, so actually the hand does stutter for a fraction of a second.

I’m sure there is some VR or vision expert who could explain this in technical terms, but I think it has to do with how the brain’s visual processing works. My understanding is that the brain has the capability of filling in a lot of missing information in your field of view, and what I think is going on here is that because of the fact that the view is changing due to the physical motion of your head, your brain automatically “fills in the blanks” compensating for some of the jerkiness that might be present.

You can sort of see this when looking at the screen mirror of a VR session. The motion related to head turning, etc. is less smooth when viewing it onscreen than how you perceive it in the HMD.

no, this is definitely a real render effect.

I also play other games like Subnautica in VR and hmd movement is smooth, also gamepad translation is smooth, but as soon as I rotate with the gamepad stick, there is a noticable stutter. This stutter makes sense since also in Subnautica the fps is not very high to have reprojection always kicking in.

It might have to do with the render pipeline. Maybe geomtretry info is only reloaded when gamepad rotation input kicks in and then draw calls bottleneck the cpu, while otherwise draw calls are not that dominant. Really strange (on the the HP Reverb G2 with WMR)

Gotcha. I didn’t quite get your original intent. I also experience what you’re talking about, and I think this might be because the actual image rendered is wider than the HMD FOV, so that head movements can occur smoothly without the need to draw a new frame from scratch. The existing image is shifted accordingly in between frame draws.

While reprojection takes advantage of this, I don’t think it is exactly the same thing. When reprojection occurs it reuses the rendered frame because a new frame isn’t ready in time to maintain the refresh rate.

Again, no expert here so I may be vocalizing out of my posterior. I’m sure some VR expert could explain this better and with proper terminology. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.