Tenerife - With 5m DEM and High Resolution aerial image!

Hi everyone!
These days a 5m DEM (elevation mesh) and high resolution aerial image (56 GB!) for Tenerife were released on Simmarket. Ofcourse i had to check it out to see what the sim is capable of with the most accurate data available. Join me on a stunning flight around the beautiful island of Tenerife:

12 Likes

Thank you for the review. I was so close of purchasing it but the airport is not modeled.

What do you mean with: “the airport is not modelled”?

Is it the default from Asobo?

Yes, DEM updates normally don’t include additional scenery. For a price around 10,-€ it’s not realistic to expect otherwise.

SimWings so far has published three airports for the Canary Islands:

• La Palma
  • La Gomera
  • Tenerife Sur (Reina Sofia)
    They are priced 18-20,-€ each (or you can get them a little cheaper for 18-20,-$ at the FlightSim.com Store)

The others they did for Gran Canaria and El Hierro will surely follow.

1 Like

Nice video! Tenerife will be my first destination with the PMDG 738. Of course with the sim wings airport and the mesh addon.

I love flying to the canary islands, because the volcanic scenery together with the windy weather is always a breathtaking experience!

2 Likes

I thought these payware DEM packs would be pointless as Asobo is providing some great DEM in the updates but this one may have changed my mind. Looks absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Will definitely check these out! Thank you, I wasn’t aware they was some modeled airports done by Simwings. Now I can combine both, it’s going to look so great!

1 Like

I already bought the three airports. Recommend Flightsim.com. They’re usually cheaper than Simmarket and Aerosoft

This does look amazing but I’m holding off paying for anything like this since Asobo have said there are apparently big improvements coming to Bing maps DEM data plus higher resolution aerial imagery in the pipeline. I’m not sure we’ll get anything as high as 5m though but it would be great if we did.

Didn’t someone here say there was DEM data for the Swiss alps in existence that was accurate to 1m? That would look incredible in the sim. I’d pay for that.

Okay thank you mate. I will look in there.

Really? Do you know when is Asobo going to start doing that?? I can already imagine how realistic it’s going to look!

I think they said it was going to come later this year. It was in the one of the developer live chats when asked about why mountains looked so rounded.

Beautiful video! The high res mesh makes all the difference!

I recently discovered a freeware 20m mesh for the Canary’s including Tenerife which was still lots better than default:

3 Likes

That was a great little film. :+1: Tenerife in Hi-Def sure looks imposing (just a little scary, too). What an amazing simulator this is going to be when everywhere can look like that, with that kind of fidelity. It’s the promise of what’s to come, I guess - can’t wait to see some of my favorite places when DEM data becomes available (although I’m going to have to start saving for a super-computer).

2 Likes

Hey mate are the sceneries compatible with the Tenerife Mesh product?

For the whole world?

Don’t know for sure. They work fine with the Freeware 20m mesh

1 Like

Is the freeware looking any good?

1 Like

I doubt the whole world, they were a bit vague about it.

Yeah its good, noticeably better than the standard sim DEM. There are issues with the freewhere DEM mesh though. It doesn’t always join up with the standard DEM very well at the border areas.