Terrible apocalyptic photogrammetry of Vienna

You have to consider the PG comes from aircraft flying a grid pattern and if thy have to divert from that pattern e.g. because of traffic, then the photos/film collected may not even exist except from an earlier more distant fly by. There’s also weather and lighting/shadows to consider, a revisit might not be possible.

2 Likes

Just saw the “feedback snapshot” from October 14th, “please fix photogrammetry” is “under investigation”… 2021/22… Doesn’t make one optimistic.
I have a fibre connexion now, but didn’t improve anything unfortunately.f424c5c7c1332e4bb89e8d4925b3b8928e6d21c3_2_690x388

1 Like

Try flying around the UK. Just flew around London & Birmingham. It’s miles behind the original Bing data from release.

2 Likes

It all looks good from 2000 feet!
:grinning:
I like to fly between 200 and 1500 feet, then it looks like this:
http://www.migman.com/sw/ms-fs-2020/photogrammetry.php

1 Like

With time and updated data we hope this will get better, there’s also the option of paid hand made mods if you wants a specific area to look really sharp.

My mind is blown this update at how just random sections of Long Island look (and yes near Republic is still the land of green highways and roads)

So many buses …

and more buses looking back all the buses

Well summarised IMO

3 Likes

Vienna airport. Is something wrong with my game or is it like that for everyone? PG is on.

This is what my Vienna airport looks like

Well it’s better than what we have for Australia which are smears on a 2D landscape and given the rather flat nature of Australia as its such an old continent the mesh is next to useless so I would be happy to have some distorted photogrammety of any sort at this point!

Ok, I was ready for the worst today as I took flight in Vienna. I turned off Bing and saved, then deleted cache and saved and finally turned on Bing and saved. Then headed out to fly… I was was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. It was beautiful! Photogrammetry was working terrific and the flight was smooth as silk. Even the overpasses looked great.

I was expecting the horrible melted city and instead was left with jaw dropping scenes, for the most part. There are still some areas that are bad. I toss that up to bad Bing data. But overall much better than I expected.

This is in my Xbox Series X

Some pictures, enjoy!

1 Like

This was my Vienna airport shot from today.

They did say that they go in and fix and add in buildings etc to fix some photogrammetry issues. The images from Bing are only 2D so it’s hard to get all the detail accurately as 3D models.

When you compare Bing real data with in game, you can see where photogrammetry gets things wrong as it gets confused on some items as to whether they are solid or not.
Check out the refinery for example. The shadows on the inside of the top confused photogrammetry so we get a weird melted storage tank.

For me it does not load photogrammetry in vienna

What is the city of Vienna there are sites that look pretty good, but the refinery and some buildings look terrible

1 Like

I’m going to do the same thing that you have done, let’s see if the photogrammetry comes out better and I’ll tell you

1 Like

Fly over this in a B-52, pretend you dropped your payload. :joy:

Well, in some parts it’s pretty good, just pretty, not much.

But in others I think they would have to give it a review and repair it, London looked the same, and now it looks much better, they would have to do the same in Vienna, there are places that are sad to see.

2 Likes

Looking better for you.

Yes, it seems that shadows can created havoc with photogrammetry.

Did the airport improve for you?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.