Terrible Performance after SU8 with RTX 3080[SOLVED] Might be Useful for People Having Performance Issues

I’m gonna try your sugestions, I’m running in a 165 refresh rate monitor and I can’t find the performance balance I found before SU8.
A lot of Stutters now.

1 Like

I had my system at 30FPS/60Hz before SU8 and after SU8 no difference in performance. It’s so smooth I never need to look at it. Not noticed anything specific about SU8 to cause degredation. Maybe some setting got defaulted/reset? I haven’t found it though. They did add live traffic taking off not sure if that would cause an issue as reported. The fast monitor refresh rates are not helping matters though. FS doesn’t need them and it may hurt performance due to Sync hunting around with odd ratios.
Stutters are nearly always down to mainthread limiting and CPU/GPU balance. They never truly go away, but they can be diminished to a very background level.

Try this maybe?

1 Like

Don’t touch or change anything!

This often happens after sim updates but will most likely settle down again. I’ve always been convinced it’s server load but who knows?

If you use it, did you delete and recompile your rolling cache after the update? That really is a must.

SU8 didn’t cause any performance issues as far as I can see, but this inconsistent sim performance often persists for a couple of weeks after an update.

ps I absolutely concur about the 30/60 thing. Even with a setup like yours just do it, I promise you won’t regret it. Set your monitor refresh rate to 60hz in Nvidia CP and set the in-game VSYNC to 30fps, it’s a game-changer. Smooth and consistent.

2 Likes

Yes I concur that FS tends to settle down after a week. But mainly settling down from CTD like issues for me from what I’ve seen.
Yes always good advice to clear cache. I always do after an sim or world update. Graphically though I doubt it will just revert, something has changed to cause it. Could be a misbehaving add on too. Also a good reason to remove mods and run tests on base sim because of this. The reinstall will be interesting, but I’ll be surprised if graphical performance changes. I’d only contemplate a reinstall maybe every year or if I was seeing continual CTDs. Agree 30/60 has been a game changer for me. So much so that I almost never have the need to check performance anywhere in FS since implementing it.

1 Like

I can’t do it, I’m running Docker on my end.

I don’t use it at all.

But I’ll definitely do this setting v-sync for sure. Once the installation is finished.
I needed a fresh install anyways, since there are so many addons that I can’t even remember I had installed them :smiley:

1 Like

I had the “identical “ system with same issues, for 15 months! You probably don’t wanna hear this (and so many put me down here on this forum for it, I’m reluctant to say), but I just upgraded my cpu to a 12th gen i9-12900K (needed a new mb and cooler $$$ ouch), W11 and WHAM, it’s silky smooth everywhere! No more of those issues, I can now just simply fly!
*(please no replies that I didn’t do something correct or I’m just throwing my money out, or I’m unethical lol!) It was a fine solution for me. Just giving you information for thought.
(i9-12900, RTX3080, 32G)

2 Likes

It really is an amazing difference. I was just flying around San Diego in the F-18 (Photogrammetry on) with LatinVFR’s KSAN and The Gaist ships mod installed at 600kts with everything at Ultra and TerrainLOD at 230.

At 3200x1800 (custom resolution) and 100% render scaling it never missed a beat, smooth as silk. I used to be pushing my system as hard as it would go and would get 50-60fps with lower settings but the experience was nothing like as good.

I have a 2080ti, 5900x and 32GB for comparisons sake.

ps I read elsewhere that someone else reset their Nvidia Control Panel settings to default after seeing a big performance drop then changed just 3 parameters (max power, can’t remember the other 2) and saw a big improvement.

1 Like

SU8 has introduced microstutters and pauses in all my addon airports and big Fps drops in most of them. Landing on RWY25R LEBL ( latinvfr) is impossible .
The only tweeks I found to make this flyable :

Monitor Res: 1440p
Display refresh rate : 165 hz

NCP:

GPU power: balanced
Vsync: ON
locked FPS: 35
latency mode: Ultra
Textures filtering: Quality

Game options:

Vsync OFF
Terrain LOD: 200
Objects LOD : 100 -150
Antialiasing: TAA
anisotropic filtering: 16x
Supersampling : 8x
Render scaling: 100

Mostly high , some Medim.

I7 10700
RTX2060 súper 8 gb
1Tb nvme Samsung
32 gb RAM DDR4 2666 mhz
Internet fiber: 600mb

Community Add ons (50 gb aprox):

AIG
payware and freeware sceneries
A32Nx experimental ( always latest build)
Eight A32NX liveries
Aerosoft CRJ bundle.
Navigraph subs.
Vatsim (vpilot)
Volanta
Toolbar pushback

PC only for MSFS.

I hope Asobo plan to work in the core of the multithread tasks to better performance.

How do I get that overlay?

Enable developer mode.
Options > general options > developers → on
apply and save

“New menu bar” > options > display fps

Be aware

DEV MODE & 3RD PARTY CONTENT

By design, the following information is not recorded or tracked while playing with dev mode enabled or using add-ons (including liveries):

Try
Options > general options > sound
Switch from “systems default device” to specific device - e.g below.

Before

After

Apply and save

2 Likes

after days of testing and trying everything that is being exposed here, the culprit of losing so many FPS and the micro stutters is the LOD, when I reduce it to 100 for the two bars it goes smooth as silk again. The tests were done in Jetstream LFPO, with the DC6B (Pmdg) and ORBX Paris Lanmarks.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the answers, I really appreciate them. So after a clean reinstall, here is what I get around 9000ft. at the same spawn point that I left the sim yesterday. All the settings are the same, with FBW, you can see the increase in FPS.

I had similar problems with lower fps and also CTDs that were new to me after SU8 (empty community folder, same settings as pre-SU8, drivers updated, etc). So I did a complete reinstall of all 180GB and it helped a lot. No CTDs and fps back to where it was before. Maybe a file somewhere got corrupted, who knows, but it was worth that time to reinstall. Glad it helped your situation a bit as well.

Interesting to see. No weather there though. How does the framerate hold up during takeoff/landing.

It was real-time weather but it’s clean out there. I’ve got couple of things to do, will try to post here the results with at least overcasted location with AIG.

But regardless of the weather, yesterday I was at cruise and normally it’s the exactly the altitude where I get around 45-50 FPS yesterday it was just below 30 like for no reason.

Even though I get understandable FPS atm, I’ll definitely use v-sync as you suggested though.

1 Like

New results are out with FBW + AIG.

During the departure the FPS was around 40.
I’ll edit the post after the landing.

From the cockpit.

Although I must say that I’m getting Coherent Gt Draw time to time. Though it seems like it can be neglected.

This has been the solution for me, for test purposes, I didn’t lock the FPS 30 but I did all the other things and I’m now seeing amazing performance that I have never seen before :smiley: Thank you so much. For those who may read this topic later on, only thing that I didn’t do is to activate the v-sync in the sim, rest of the suggestions are applied and it worked like a charm. The results is amazing.

1 Like

So happy to know this worked for you.:+1: More people need to do this. credit is really to this Pilot Pete video explanation (see linked vid). I post it a lot around here, but most people probably don’t watch the whole thing or don’t note the settings so I listed them out for speed/ease of use. Everyone experiencing FPS issues/stutters should at least give this process a try, but NVCP adjustment just as crucial as FS graphics adjustment.
My guess is devs don’t maket the sim as best at 30FPS as in todays gaming world FPS seems like a marketable thing whether it’s needed or not, so they have IMO left decision for users, which is leading to a lot of misunderstandings and frustration about what FS really needs.
And all I ever see is one or two small pauses from time to time, usually when turning while taxiing at say EGLL.
I restate again that after changing to these settings I don’t ever look at FPS or FS performance metrics any more. I just sim and I think that’s what everyone wants to be doing.

5 Likes