Terrible Performance after SU8 with RTX 3080[SOLVED] Might be Useful for People Having Performance Issues

Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting really good FPSs until SU8. I’m currently flying with FBW and I’m at 36000 ft and I’m getting 23-22 FPS. I have a really considerably strong rig.

RTX 3080
i7-10700K
32 GB RAM 2666 MHz

Can you please tell me if that’s normal ? Here’s a screenshot to give you better information.

Thanks in advance.

You are mainthread limited. You LOD’s are probably set too high. I have my TLOD set at 250.
Not sure what specifically changed with SU8 (maybe extra AI traffic which can also load CPU) or maybe it’s a mod?, However, it just looks like another case of unbalanced CPU/GPU loading to me, with your CPU overloading. Try lowering your LOD’s a bit and you should be fine. OR increase your GPU load a bit may help too if it’s idling. To do that if you are not running at 4K then try upping your render scale a tad to load the GPU more to balance things out. Are you seeing stutters on takeoff/landing too?

Thank you for your answer. The reason is I just can’t understand what could possibly be changed after SU8 causing this much performance decrease. Funny thing is my LOD is just 200, haven’t even gone over 200, ever.

My monitor is just 2560*1440, so render scale is 100. As I said I didn’t even touch any settings. I just lost 20 FPS by doing nothing.

I spawned at departure with 25 FPS, and cruise, nothing changed.

At 1440p res your 3080 won’t be working hard enough which creates the CPU/GPU load imbalance situation. The GPU will be constantly asking the CPU for more data which causes the CPU mainthread to limit. Not sure why SU8 would make this worse, but if I were you I’d up the GPU workload by increasing render scale to 4k res so 3840 × 2160 which would be setting a render scale of 150%. It should enhance your FPS figures. Of course you could always switch to a 4K screen or UHDTV instead. Failing that render scale is the way to go esp as your TLOD is set at 200 already.

1 Like

Hello,
Moved to PC & Hardware, where most talk about performance takes place. Best of luck!

1 Like

I switched to %150 Render Scale, which indeed increased the FPS 1-2 maybe. Still can’t go over 30 though. I’m just gonna save and exit and relaunch and see if it makes any difference and if it doesn’t change anything I’m gonna start at the same location after I close and reopen the sim and write the answer here.

The settings screen you posted said FS was running DISPLAY MODE ‘windowed’ was that for the screengrab only? You should be running FS full screen.

I always use it in full screen that was only for ss purpose. It doesn’t really change anything if I run it in full screen tho.

1 Like

I’d restart like you suggested, come in and see whether mainthread is still limited or not. Do you have any NVidia control panel settings changed at all or is it all defaults there?
You have VSync OFF, I run with mine ON. Also would be interesting to know you monitor refresh rate too.

What setting is “GLASS COCKPIT REFRESH RATE” ?

It’s 165. Everything default in Nvidia Control Panel. @BragRaindrop933 I’ll let yu know quick.

It’s medium.

1 Like

Un-popular option, but solution for me. Post Su8 I had massive stutters, CTD’s and overall performance was way down.

Very low GPU usage, high main thread like mentioned above. I did a complete wipe and re-install of the game and I am back to pre-SU8 performance.

1 Like

OK, Now here’s a suggestion. 165Hz refresh rate is too high for FS. In NVidia control panel lock it to 60Hz (for runing FS). Then in FS graphical settings turn on VSync and try both 60FPS cap and then 30FPS cap.

Also if you want to try experimenting with something that gives me a super smooth FS experience you can try this out. I have my setup like this and things are running very smooth with minimal stuttering. 30FPS locked when set up correctly can lead to a very smooth FS experience across many situations, often looking like much higher than 30FPS.

FOR RUNNING FS @ 30FPS LOCKED-
In NVidia Control Panel :3D Settings

• Low Latency Mode → ON
  • Power management Mode → max performance
  • Preferred refresh rate → highest available
  • Texture Filtering Quality → high performance
  • VSync → use 3d app setting

In NVidia Control Panel : Change Resolution

• set res of display at 60Hz for 30fps (2x is a whole number multiplier, so easier to sync with)

In FS Graphics Options

• Set VSync → ON
  • Set Frames → 30

For me this leads to a buttery smooth FS performance albeit I’m running at 4K, so again keep your render scale up enough to keep the GPU busy.

I rarely ever need to look at my performance these days.

7 Likes

curious, what are your thoughts about addressing the “pop ins”? I understand you can also tweak one of the config files which may or may not help here.

Sorry I don’t know what you are referring to.

Okay, so I’m now reinstalling the game. If I keep on having the same issue, I’ll just follow your guides @BragRaindrop933 .

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions. I’ll edit this post as soon as everything is finished.

1 Like

more related to scenery I guess (for example) -

I have no idea. You can ocaasionally see quirks with ground vehicles (and ground aircraft) popping in, but can’t say I know of any solution.

No problem. You should definitely at least try 30FPS out. The key takeaway is keeping your GPU loaded enough. I wouldn’t accept any default settings the sim loads in as, so be prepared to delve in after a reinstall, which can help with some issues, but performance I have my doubts.

try increasing the sharpness with the Nvidia filter, then your GPU has to do more and the result is much smoother. and you can use the nvidia filter to change the color settings so that it looks fantastic again