Terrible performance problem on Quest2 when running FS

Hello FS community, this is my first post here, so I am glad to be writing in these forums.

My issue is I am having a terrible performance on the Quest2 using Flight Simulator, but is not always like that, it happens sometimes, so I am not sure what it is.

My Hardware:
-Corei7
-18 gb ram
-SSD disks
-RTX 2080
-Quest2 with a new USB 3.0 cable (linked green at 3.0)
-1Gbps of internet Bandwidth

The problem is, whenever I start the FlightSim2020 game and starts the Link to PC, the Quest home screen for PC start flickering a lot, loosing frames and deforming the graphics on the home screen, when I go to the game (Staring the VR mode on FS2020) the performance on the cockpit is really terrible, lets say 2fps and impossible to play.
This happens sometimes and not all the time, I was able to flight with Airbus 32NX and with other planes the full route (2 hours of playing), but in some cases I cannot even start the plane because of this.

I tried every different configuration on the Oculus Debug Tool, and in the Oculus App, and changed to every USB port I have on the back of my PC. I also suffer from the Oculus disconnecting from the PC sometimes, but only when the game is running.
The Oculus works perfectly connected to the PC when the game is not running.

Any clue of what can be happening?
Should I try with an external USB 3.0 interface?

1 Like

You should not expect VR to perform well especially with the many drawbacks that cripple performance on modern units. VR performance issues are a common topic.

There are plenty of existing discussions covering the topic - use the forum SEARCH function to find them.

Ok one thing I suggest is first launch oculus home and connect the headset to oculus link in the headset. Then start the sim. That tends to eliminate those issues for me. This is true for all VR on fs2020.

1 Like

For me I start the sim first before starting OTT and Oculus service, and I don’t use SteamVR. I have to re-click the settings in OTT maybe because I didn’t set a game profile.

If the game is choppy with warping, I’ll re-enter VR mode. So far it’s working fine for me with non Oculus USB 3.0 cable.

My spec: Ryzen 2700X, 32GB RAM, 1080 Ti

1 Like

Ok, I played with that for a few sessions, and I am not sure how it is affecting performance, but I usually start the Simulator first also, enter the flight plan and start the flight and only then I switch to VR mode, however sometimes it works and sometimes the game performance is still horrible.

What I found yesterday with the Visible HUD from the Oculus Debug Tool is that when I start the simulator the Oculus start to lose frames a lot!! like more than 3/4 of the total frames, so I moved from 90 Hz to 70 Hz and now it drops only like half or 1/3 of the total frames, and the game is more playable.

I believe this has something to do with the cable or the USB port, it couldn’t be right to lose so many frames, besides…I heard from a lot of people playing at 90Hz with the 2080…

Using Virtual Desktop with SteamVR will likely solve your issue as long as you have a decent Wifi router. Oculus Link cable was the bottleneck of MSFS VR for some people including me.

That´s good to know…
The thing is I own the Microsoft Store version, I just purchased a new USB 3.0 PCIe interface…let´s see what happens.

I have noticed that VR is only good for small planes,Have tried A320 and it was choppy as and black bars either side. Was better when above 7000 feet.Even the Cesna caravan was a bad experience for me in VR.

Noticed that you have only 16gb of RAM. That is on the very edge of not being enough and your pagefile size comes into play. Going to 32gb would really be helpful - and have you overclocked your CPU to at least 4.5Ghz? There are lots of other settings that you don’t mention that might be a problem - such as what version of Windows 10 - 20H2 is required, etc…
On the other hand, I have occasionally seen the Oculus Home look distorted as well (remedy = start again or reboot the PC??) and that must be fixed before going on to MSFS2020. Personally, I prefer no ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) so that the Quest2 image is not distorted but merely isn’t completely smooth when I look sideways. Are you setting the FOV-Tangent Multiplier to 0.7,0.75 in the Oculus Debug Tool - that has helped me (also in ODT, Encode Resolution Width = 2912 and Encode bitrate = 250Mbps ). I am using 90Hz and a fairly high resolution inside the Oculus core runtime app but that FOV factor in ODT cuts that down so that by the time I use Render Scaling = 100 inside MSFS2020, my onscreen resolution is 1900x2048 or so which is plenty clear if I scoot up close to the instrument panel. With all that, you should be able to run simpler scenes (with MEDIUM cloud setting) at a fairly steady 30 FPS

I think I am giving up with Quest 2 and FS2020…I checked everything, purchased a new USB 3.0 Fast Speed interface and didn’t fixed anything, link speed is the same as onboard USB 3.0 ports.
Whitav8 the distortion on the Oculus Home page happens after I start the game, not before, however I will check with your numbers and configs you are suggesting to see if this changes, the thing that brakes my mind is that…sometimes the simulator works flawless and the fps and image quality are beautiful…and sometimes it is impossible to play.

I believe the problem comes from the version from Microsoft Store, the guys that own the Steam version says all these problems are fixed.

I am going back to Rift, so I can play in VR again :pensive:

What do you think about having just 16gb RAM? You can see that I am using 18 to 19 gb.

You might have the same issues with your Rift and MSFS2020 - except that it is a little less resolution?

Disabling the Windows Game Bar stopped all the flickering back and forth between the game and the Oculus Link app for mw. Not sure why it did that, but turning it off was the key for me. All the other tuning recommended settings in this forum were gravy after this change.

Thanks guys for the comments, I am taking all of them as valids and trying those at my PC.
I don’t have any game bar, so it doesn’t seem to be the problem, as for the ram I have 18 Gb, but when in the game I looked for the used ram and is not taking more than 12gb of ram.

I just installed back the Rift and the game is running PERFECT on RIFT, crystal clear, no problems at all.

My issues seems to be related to this version of FlightSimulator (from Microsoft Store) and the Quest 2 with the Link cable.
The Rift is passing video thru the HDMI cable, but Quest2 has to re-encode video and send it to the USB cable, I assuming the problems are something related to that, but I am not sure how to fix it.

Or even if this is fixable or not.

Finally the Problem was FIXED!

I just downloaded the latest Oculus Soft released one week ago or so, and with the latest update on FS2020 the problem is fixed! No more poor performance on the Quest2, even at high detail configured on the FS2020.

What I can clearly see now, is that the GPU started to work with this Oculus update, before this GPU was at 1% and there was no way I can get at least a 5% of GPU work, now with heavy detailed airports like EHAM or EDDM GPU goes up to 40% and CPU 38%, so this is finally working.

Quality on the Quest2 is great and is a pleasure to flight with this performance.

Thanks Microsoft and Oculus for fixing this!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.