Terrible VR performance with top end Ryzen / 3080 system

I’m growing extremely frustrated with the state of Flight Sim VR.

I’ve tried following all the optimization guides out there, but nothing improves my experience.

I am in pretty much the 1% of PC gamers in terms of hardware with a 5800X CPU and RTX 3080, and the performance I am getting in FS VR is downright embarrassingly bad and completely UNPLAYABLE.

I am using an HTC Vive, which has an extremely low resolution. I’ve followed so many guides for which settings to turn up or down. I am completely unable to fly in even a remote location with a stable framerate.

When I look at fpsVR (reports CPU/GPU usage, FPS, frametimes and drops etc) my frames are at minimum 50% dropped frames (red spikes in the graph), with the GPU only ~60% load. with the FPS swinging wildly from 0 to 40 CONSTANTLY.

If I run the game at anything other than 100% resolution scaling, which in an HTC Vive is really ■■■■ all, excuse my french, it is utterly impossible for me to read a single thing in the cockpit, so I have to run it at that. I’ve tried 80, 70, and it has a completely negligible effect on the performance with the added benefit of everything being a blurry, unreadable mess.

I could live with a solid 30 FPS while being able to read the cockpit, but the fact of the matter it is completely impossible for me to attain it.

When I see people posting their settings and FPS claims with much worse hardware than I have, while seemingly getting much better performance, and with higher resolution VR headsets (like Rift S, Q2 or G2), I am honestly dumbfounded and can’t help but not believe anyone who is claiming as such.

I see people posting videos like this, MSFS VR HOW TO GAIN 50% MORE FPS!! HP REVERB G2 - YouTube which must be complete nonsense, and the video is even unclear as to what he is telling you to do.

Are you able to change which OpenXR runtime any headset uses, or is he telling you to make sure you are using the correct one? When I look in the SteamVR settings screen, it tells me it is using the SteamVR OpenXR runtime. Is he saying people should be using the WindowsMR no matter which platform?

I built this PC almost for the entire purpose of playing Flight Simulator 2020. In desktop mode it is fantastic and beyond acceptable performance, but I built this PC to play VR Sims. In VR it is an absolute ■■■■■■■ mess and Asobo should never have released it in such a state.

I am doing a lot of ranting here so forgive me for that, because all I want to do is play my dream game in VR, and it’s just not possible, despite all these other people with inferior hardware claiming a much better experience than me. I just simply don’t believe them.

7 Likes

Hey, please use one of the existing topics to avoid double postings.

Also try to use the Search Function.

4 Likes

Most of us have no issues, so no need to put blame on devs.
Perhaps your settings are the issue, your pc config etc…

2 Likes

There is an nVidia driver issue affecting the newer drivers and they are the only option for the 3000 series sadly:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/

I got a lot of improvement disabling HAGS, disabling motion smoothing and setting VSYNC in the nVidia control panel to FAST and triple buffering to enabled. Maybe you can find some improvement there.

Also check this thread:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/

But until nVidia fixes the driver issue we might have issues with our newer nVidia cards.

1 Like

@Greekanadian Yassou (if your pseudo is telling me anything :slightly_smiling_face:)

You might want to start reading this, it might help you (or not but it seems it is really helping a lot of people):

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Valve Index)

And specifically about NVidia drivers:

Known issue: NVidia drivers causing stutters in VR
What NVidia Drivers are recommended for VR

I understand your skepticism and I’m preparing the article for “My VR Settings - G2” soon. In the meantime, I’ve tried capturing what I do get with the G2 which you might find interesting:

Smooth A320 low level flight over photogrammetry - Through the lens video with the G2 (9700K + 2070S)

1 Like

I went to monitor the frame-drop thing in the SteamVR dashboard and yes, I am getting dropped frames, but it’s 1 frame here and there. It doesn’t account for 50%+ dropped frames I get in FS2020.

I am not using hardware accelerated scheduling because it creates more problems than it solves, and have never been using it in the first place.

Motion Smoothing is a complete disaster in FS2020, making it a smudgy, blurry, distorted mess (especially around the propeller), so I have not been using that either.

I will try VSYNC setting, though I usually have it disabled all the time.

1 Like

I will check that post, thanks.

Just a thought, do you have other flight sims on your computer? If so, how do they perform in VR with your hardware configuration? None of the sims is really utilising the threads completely, so I would imagine similar issues if there are issues with your hardware.

I’ll get blitzed for saying this, I can tell you already, but AMD for work, Intel for play. I got a completely jacked AMD setup for P3D about 2 years ago, and it ran that sim like garbage. I tried everything, nothing helped. Went and bought an Intel/nVidia rig and switched the Ryzen rig to my work PC, problem solved. Still using it 2 years later and it’s running MSFS like a dream.

The PC “experts” will tell you I’m wrong, experience tells me I’m right. I would never get an AMD processor for gaming.

1 Like

A good title helps other users find your topic and encourages them to join in the conversation. Topic titles must be concise and clearly outline the purpose of your discussion.

Please alter your topic title. You can do this by clicking the pencil icon next to the topic title.

I couldn’t possibly care less about benchmarks. I’ve never checked my FPS in MSFS and I never will.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvjBIoxRpJ8&t=364s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-c-th7ne_Q&t=8s

Nor could I care any less whether you believe me or not, for that matter. I’ve seen a ton of threads with people being really disappointed in either Ryzen’s or 3xxx cards. Me? No problems.

The PC experts are right, what they are probably not all telling though is that Intel is supposedly (historically) better than AMD single core, but AMD is better than Intel multi-core. In other words, if it is for flight simulation known to run mostly on 1 core, you rather use an Intel, otherwise, use an AMD!

I am considering this, my 5800X has been a nightmare since I received it. It doesn’t boost properly and causes my system to BSOD constantly. I had to set a VCORE voltage offset in the BIOS, which I’m not entirely sure what it EXACTLY does other than limits the power consumption on the top end of its boost range. Doing this has made my system stable as far as I can tell. Before doing that I could load up practically any game and it would BSOD within 10 minutes.

I have it in a stable state right now, but I have already requested an RMA but waiting to hear from AMD.

If I do end up getting rid of it, I will buy a 10850K for slightly less performance in FS2020, 2 more cores, for less money. Only thing is that cost savings is negated by extremely expensive motherboards. I need an mATX board and basically the only one available capable of overclocking (which I don’t actually really care to do, so I might find a non-K variant) costs $300 CAD.

This is kind of last resort though. I would prefer to keep my Ryzen CPU provided it actually works properly.

I just setup my system according to this guide to the letter, and will test shortly.

However, one question.

What does setting the overall SteamVR resolution to 100%, then the FS2020 game specific resolution to 78% do exactly?

I thought they were the same thing, but compound on top of each other?

For example if you have both set to 100%, then the render scale is 100%. But if they are both something over 100%, those values will combine into a larger render scale.

I noticed in your guide you referred to the overall setting as “100% TAA” and the per-game setting to “resolution.” I may be wrong here, but don’t these sliders do exactly the same thing, except one is a global value and the other is specific to the game?

I don’t think your explanation of this setting is accurate…based on what I thought I knew anyway.

It is all detailed in the discussion, like for example:

All answered here:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢 - #207 by CptLucky8

I didn’t say it did. Reading is fundamental.

I’m just sharing my experience. And I’ve heard it all to the contrary, with long explanations and exasperated replies about how I’m wrong. Which is all well and good. But my Ryzen is a great work PC, and my Intel has been a phenomenal flight sim PC. I wish you the best, I understand the frustration.

1 Like

That’s not the best you BC an buy.

Are you using openxr and steam VR?

1 Like

I have spent 2 days playing with settings. I can’t agree more this is a Terrible implementtion!

My spec
64gig Ram
8Core Intel
2080Ti
Oculus Quest via Link

I have seen enough comments from people with various rigs and “more” powerful graphic cards than me having problems to know there is something “wrong”

I have a reasonable expectation that a VR game will run at 45fps - based on every other game I have played and developing in Unreal Engine every day!

Problems:

1. Black frame - this is fixed by updating the latest Oculus beta or disabling the Oculus FOV stencil
  2. Pressing space in VR causing the black frame to misalign - this is fixed with Oculus beta update
  3. Stuttering and slow FPS - haven’t got a solution yet! The closest I have got is around 30 fps leaving me with headaches and motion sickness!
1 Like