Thanks Asobo, this turbulence is absolutely spot on!

Trying to fly across Tasmania today with live weather and its virtually impossible. It’s like wind gusts are set x10 speed. Watching a windsock and it goes up-down-up-down within 1 or 2 seconds, completely unrealistic (not to mention physically impossible). Now I’m all for realistic simulation but the speed/rate of gusts is waaaay to fast.

5 Likes

Yes, never seen that, but then I don’t fly many GA planes at FL350. Do you ever see that at lower altitudes?

Just so you know, that clip was captured in a PMDG 738.
The GA I flown would have serious control issues in such a wind (regardless of altitude), plus, the Sting S4 doesn’t have a wind indicator (or maybe just because I couldn’t find it)

Yes I have seen such wind fluctations at low altitudes, all the way to ground. I just landed the same PMDG 738 at Kai Tak last night with a similarly gusting crosswind.

I hope you don’t get blocked out of access of this video due to facebook group reasons (IIRC it’s an open group)
(Edit: ok it seems that it doesn’t work, lemme try a slightly different way:
100000163826382/videos/578266024093205/
Put that thing after facebook dot com should work)
You can see the gust as I approach the runway. The wind itself is a lot weaker, but the fluctation of the gust is pretty much the same.

And yes, it’s easily one of the worst landings I had. Gusting crosswind and a super short final don’t add up that well, plus this is only the 3rd time I flew to Kai Tak.

For some reason the link to that video doesn’t show unless you quote the message.

When you passed through 800ft, and the speeds started jumping, I believe that is caused by mechanical turbulence from the buildings is below.

I’ve seen it a lot in city airports on final. As soon as you clear those the fluctuations cease.

Same sort of effect, but for a different reason.

1 Like

Ok, i try to be as constructive as possible here. I think i have actually found what is missing in the gust system.

This guy explains it good.

Whats missing a bit is:

Intermittency in those gusts.

Correct me if i’m wrong @Moach6908. You tried explain this already in the beta in a really constructive way.

8 Likes

Well, that’s exactly it. Even the graph I had posted in the form of —~~v^^----^~v^— squiggles appears in the video in a more precisely rendered way.

This is the real truth of it, Asobo. There’s your homework done for you, all it takes now is a programmer given a day or two to implement it. Just do exactly what the man in the video explains.
This is what will make MSFS turbulence become realistic, simple as that.

8 Likes

Thanx for pointing that out. Hope Asobo can implement that. Whats missing is also those vertical turbulence but that they have limited. Don’t know why though. They said it is that we don’t understand why the plane can act like a leaf inside thunderstorm clouds. Thunderstorm clouds is turbulence. Extreme turbulence actually.

Hope to see all of the turbulence improved. When they limit things it also feels unnatural. Turbulence should be unpredictable because thats what turbulence is. Trubulence actually makes the weather around us. Weather exists because air is a turbulent fluid. The sun give the air energy. And that energy makes the air flow and the more velocity the air has the more turbulent it become and creates those clouds we see in the sky.

2 Likes

I did one video with custom settings and one with live weather to compare crosswind landing techniques. The principles are the same and somethings to keep in mind that with a 172 the maximum demonstrated 90-degree crosswind is 15knots. Also, the stall speed on a 172 is 40KIAS so if the wind or gust get even remotely close to that it is darn near impossible to taxi let alone deal with a crosswind take off.

I am not claiming to be an expert on wind, but I have flown a 172 and done a fair share of crosswind landings. Besides the feedback from the motion, to me, this new update feels pretty spot on. I can also remember when taking lessons waking up super early to check the METAR data and a lot of times texting my instructor if he thought we should go up because of the wind. On the days it was borderline it was a challenge and a great learning experience, but other days we would cancel as it would be just a little too strong.

Anyway, I digress. This thread seems to get heated with division, so I am only providing these as a way to really show how to fly a crosswind in the new sim update 10 and not to argue over the accuracy of the change.

5 Likes

It’s indeed a big problem but what about rate of change? it’s also the rate of change being so abrupt (not just in gusts but also in shifting of constant winds) that caused the issue.

I’m not completely sure what you mean. If you mean the constant fluctuation in air speed you had in high altitude. Then i agree, there the air should be more laminar. But air can be turbulent up there as well. Mountainwaves and clear air turbulence for example. I have not notice much turbulence in high altitudes though in my flights i’ve done since su10.

The changes in airspeed i got have been when data has been updated in winds. I know one happens at around 17:00z and that can cause the aircraft to overspeed and get totally out of control at that moment.

The rate of change near ground may be too high. I’m not the one to answere that. I hope Asobo research that and get a balanced rate.

My thoughts about it though is that air can both be lower and higher than the average reported windspeed but in the sim the air fluctuate between the average and highest only and that makes the average higher than the reported average windspeed.

If they add that intermittency, that laminar flow should be at the reported average and then the fluctuations should be below and above that average :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the video I posted earlier and the responses I got, we know only some of us are having irrational gust changes, not all of us. So there’s that.

Basically I mean the change from constant wind to gust wind (for example, 10 knot gust 15, then it’s the change between 10 and 15) should be slower. It shouldn’t be done in 0.1 seconds.

So we have two issues:

1. there should be some (a lot) “pauses” between each changes of “gust on” and “gust off”.
  2. when the change does happen, it should happen slower.

and yes, we are having such constant, extreme rapid fluctuations all the time.

BTW I just had a very interesting find when reporting a bug to the FSLTL guys.
They noticed that players with Chinese OS (and I assume some other language OS, too) cannot export a flight plan file normally.
In my case it’s the degree mark becoming asterisk.
Presumably this has caused FSLTL to fail to inject air traffic for me, because it can’t properly get the cooridinates. It has also allegedly causing my MSFS to fail to import flight plans from, for example, simbrief, for the same reason.

Now imagine if similar issue happens on wind data. Maybe it’s the feet sign (like 5000’) being incorrectly interpreted by the system, or maybe it’s “minute” being interpreted as “feet”, maybe it’s degree being interpreted as something else.
Perhaps that’s what went wrong with my MSFS SU10, because the entire code doesn’t really work with CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) OS.

This could also explain how this SU10 got through beta, because presumably the testers weren’t using a Chinese (or other particular non-latin languaged) Windows.

2 Likes

It’s just an example of what I’m getting. I’m actually getting that kind of rapid wind change at all altitudes.
Also I think you should see that the rapid gust continues all the way until I’m on the runway…

Do MSFS even simulate building-induced wind? In any case, no, that doesn’t explain the issue I’m having, since I have that with or without the buildings.

The OS language issue (causing coordinates and other data to be ineffective) I outlined on the post above would be a better place to look into.

Yes, though it’s overblown from what I have been told. It even simulates wind shadows. Find a large building, and set up very high winds so that you can float on the spot. Approach that building, and when you put the building between you, and the wind the plane will stall.

Wind shadow… last time I heard this term it was in a sailing game…

In any case, building wind does not explain what I am getting. I still get these unreasonable gusts when flying higher than anything within 1000km radius.

Yes i like to practice touch and go now. Every single landing feels different. Pre su10 all of the landing felt same. Then i’m not a wind expert either and i bet the air can be improved. I try to find things that can be improved and let them know. But i think they need to make research how turbulence works. They can’t listening to someone here at the forums tells it’s overdone without show how it should work. We all know air is trubulent all the time more or less especially near ground. Less mass is more affected by turbulence thats for sure.

Edit: if getting turbulence try decrese speed to designed maneuvering speed Va (cessna 172 1600 lbs. Va 82 KIAS / 2400 lbs 99 KIAS) or turbulence penetration speed (Boeing 737 Turbulent Air Penetration speed is 280 KIAS / .76M, whichever is lower.
Applicable to Climb and Descent only. During cruise, set turbulence penetration N1 as highlighted by TURB N1 on the cruise page. Severe turbulence will cause large and often rapid variations in indicated airspeed. DO NOT CHASE THE AIRSPEED). Thats the procedure in real turbulence. Not tested if TURB N1 is simulated in PMDG though. Not experienced that kind of turbulence yet.

Well, that depends on the air velocity. Less velocity should mean more pauses. Less velocity means less turbulence.

Same, less velocity should mean slower changes. Less velocity means less turbulence.

Actually i feel less turbulence in less velocities. It also depends on what type of aircraft i’m using. Also it depends on what ground speed i have when flying.

I think it’s not only the air that needs tuning. I bet also aircraft needs some tuning.

Compare fenix a320 to default a320. Both should have same mass but default a320 feels much lighter and are more affected by gusts.

1 Like

Currently, at least for those of us who are experiencing more crazy gusts, the issues on the weather model would outweigh any aircraft issue to the point that we can’t feel it at all. We’d have to wait until the weather part of the equation is fixed, then we can talk about aircraft model issues.

Depends how you’re defining crazy gusts,. in real life even with fairly calm surface winds you can get layers of air that are turbulent with strong gusts.

Been on a flying lesson even on a calm summers day where a few gusts or at least turbulent air unsettled me on a turn making me quickly take action to counter.

The instructor told me that’s normal,. It’s very rare to get millpond smooth weather.

I think we have to be careful that Asobo don’t go and Nerf a feature that the majority are happy with.

Those that hate “real” weather can always use preset weather. To be honest we still need more work on the turbulence that’s missing as we transition cloud layer’s.

Someone said there should be a slow transition to a gust is wrong.

A gust is a transit of air mass … within the normal frequency of the wind pattern …

…it isn’t a separate weather feature slowly building up and then slowing down… behaviour depends on the underlying weather

Wind itself has a natural wave pattern within the weather system… Which can counter and so lessen gust effects or actually strengthen the gust affect.

People consider this realistic?