The 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

I’d completely passed over this wonderful implementation of an old classic ever since it dropped in the 40th anno edition. My bad!

My 11yo son saw me starting the sim. “Why do you fly planes so much it looks boring.” I was just scrolling the list and asked him what I should fly. He picked this one so I said OK with no expectations.

We both loved the brilliant animation of the engine running, a work of art. I took off and immediately liked it. After a couple of minutes I offered the hotas to him and after a brief thought he said OK.

My lad then proceeded to fly around for about 30mins in the Jenny before trying and failing to land it. Afterwards I asked him if it was fun and he certainly agreed. Great result, thanks devs!

I carried on flying it afterwards, found it handled nicely, quite easy to fly including takeoff and land. No brakes takes a bit of getting used to!

Really nice plane, I’ll be coming back to fly this one again!

11 Likes

It’s a surprising joy to fly. Really cool to take out for a sight seeing trip, a nice low and slow flight. Definitely my favourite to fly of this era, though I suspect this might be surpassed by Ant’s Tiger Moth once I eventually pick that one up.

2 Likes

I don’t know what inibuilds’ plans are for the future, but I would love - and I mean LOVE - to see them work on more vintage bi-planes, or even tri-planes. I’ve had so much fun with the Jenny. I could imagine how fun and amazing a Fokker Dr.I would be with this level of quality, and I can’t hardly stand to think we don’t have more aircraft like this in the sim.

11 Likes

Me too! I would love a whole fleet of WW1-era biplanes to fly around in.

7 Likes

You can get the Fokker dr.1 from flightsim.to
I posted a bit about it on ‘what did you do in msfs today,’post number 1446.
A very very good plane to fly, more so that is free.

1 Like

I can’t, I’m an xbox user, but I also don’t like the quality of that aircraft. That’s why I said it’d be great to get one up the the quality level of the Jenny. I enjoy everything about the Jenny. The sights, the sounds, the flight model. Other vintage bi- and tri-planes would be good in inibuild’s hands.

5 Likes

Better to get it from Got Friends website. It’s on their freeware page.

A little Jenny related Good Friday entertainment from Jimmy’s World:

3 Likes

WW1 airplane :joy::joy:
I know he does mention that it is not a real JN4, but pretty sure there are people who think this is about what the title shows.

Anyone played it with a Great Waldo Pepper livery?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing!

Have they done anything about the horrible heat blur yet?

1 Like

To delete heat blur:
Edit the aircraft.cfg file
Begin the two lines “effect.0” and “effect.1” with a “;” (without the " ") or delete them
That’s all.

Unfortunately the blur is still overdone on XSX. Nothing we can do about that.

1 Like

I admit, while I didn’t mind the heat blur when it was released, and still don’t think it’s a big deal, the more I fly it, the more I wish the heat blur wasn’t there. Ideally if it could just be minimized or made to be more subtle, that would be great, but otherwise, if it had to be removed, that would be fine too.

3 Likes

I agree. I have tried everything I can find to remove it. Deleating files, commenting out lines etc. No luck. Even tried a mod that was supposed to eliminate this.

Hop in, fly, and sight see.

This is still one of my favorite planes in the game. The heat blue does not bother me at all. I especially appreciate how well the adverse yay and P-factor are modeled.

Here’s a random screenshot:

3 Likes

Never really notice the heat blur much and I actually like the effect HOWEVER I do use trackIR, users stuck looking forward in a 2D cockpit may feel differently.

3 Likes

Does not work for me.

Flying over the Dead Sea, 1,300 feet below sea level!

3 Likes