The 1935 Douglas DC-3

Yikes! That’s really bad. :grimacing:

1 Like

I don’t understand how they send the files with such level of bad mapping. Don’t forget report all those problems in the beta subforum with the bug template. It’s the best way to being heard by devs.

3 Likes

Yikes, the mapping of this aircraft has bothered me so much that I don’t even fly it. They need to sort this out.

1 Like

Not in this case as it’s a regression in place since release of the aircraft. The rivets were a visual change in SU12 but these are fine as they are, the mapping itself was already checked by me in December :wink:

From what I know these topics in feedback section are also monitored just like the bugs as these are official topics.

On top the mappings visual impact is not as bad as the mapping itself, however I think it may has some effect on computing times but that’s hard to really find out (the DC3 doesn’t actually show a bad impact on performance in general).

I’m curious to see if they actually will to sort this out. As per SDK guidelines rivets across the whole aircraft shall be handled like decals to ensure full detail on all zoom levels. So the thing they did now on the nose section from internal view should have been done on the exterior. A good example how to do that is the JU52 from Oliver Mosler.

However they did not do so. Likely they wanna do the lazy approach and forgot to change the normal map on the internal model, so the old mapping is still exposed. Changing the mapping would have the negative side effect of reworking all liveries from scratch, so I can understand that AH tries to avoid this - however I hope they consider doing that because it’s an iconic aircraft.

As the aircraft itself is not locked there are still chances that community members will rework the mapping and the whole aircraft - gotfriends already provided additional variants so it would definitely a thing. Anyway Xbox customers won’t benefit from this.

So my feedback would be to please consider a rework of the mapping, liveries and other visual flaws on the aircraft even if it’s hard work. Such an iconic historical recreation deserves a version 2.0 :wink:

5 Likes

And if that happens it just proves how lazy AH is, to say nothing if Asobo lets such work into an official update. Slipshod work like this shouldn’t be pushed onto third-party developers to fix.

5 Likes

Most developers who make planes for Asobo/MS learn a lot and really improve their 3d and texture work. AH not so much…

5 Likes

Do custom liveries solve this issue?

1 Like

They would not really “solve” the issue, they more can mitigate it by providing a blank normal map for the nose section. However the bad UV map still will be bad unrelated to the livery put on :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but if a livery uses a single colour on the nose section and the livery maker doesn’t use the normal maps for the rivets, especially now that the model has 3D ones, then theoretically this error can be “hidden”, if I understand this right. And many liveries have only one colour on the nose, without any patterns or graphics on that section. Or at least I hope so. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nevertheless, the answer to your question is no.

Sure, for a few liveries it doesn’t matter, but, be that as it may, it doesn’t solve the issue.

1 Like

Is there any way to switch the classic liveries to the modern?

2 Likes

I think the answer is kind of yes, but I haven’t wrapped my head around all the different versions of the model and how they’re being accessed.

I’m going to assume there is a difference between Pax, and Pax and Cargo, and Pax left and Pax right models and therefore possibly livery sets (maybe not if they added all the features for all the exterior models to all the textures). But I haven’t even figure out which texture sets are attached to which models, and how the models are being accessed by all the packages that make up the DC-3 yet.

at some models you need to fix textures if you use other,so most you can not use same textures at all models.
i think if ist use the same doors then you can change the model,i do not know for retro or classic

Yes, I really want to spend some time going through all the models and texture and cockpit combinations that are in all these models, including the “enhanced” version (I haven’t figure out what that means yet), so I can apply liveries appropriately and get the models that I want where I want them. I’m sure there are others out there who understand the details, but, nobody else responded.

For instance, the name should be DC-3, not DC3… arghh
(I hate having a disorganized hangar)

4 Likes

i did a few repaints for this one,and i need changes if i use the left door or cargo pax,cargo and cargo pax the same textures work,never do a retro

2 Likes

Okay, next round as fixes are officially included on the recent 1.31.20.0 SU12 beta.

First off these fixes only apply to the normal DC3, so not to the enhanced version as this overwrites especially the interior.

On this version the cockpit, just as mentioned in the log, looks better as the rivets are cleaned from the normal map and the screws in the cockpits frame are now fixed:

however the thing mentioned before (stretched UV) is still visible when looking at the nose closely. the small dents and uneven parts are clearly stretched textures:

The lower beacon light is also now in place. However most external emissive textures still don’t work in a good manner. As shown on the duckworks mod it’s easy to fix as it’s “just” a change in model.xml. The only single light actually using a emissive texture properly is the white navigation light on the tail:

The green position light does not seem to use the emissive texture when zooming in:

The red position lights emissive is pretty dim:

The landing lights emissive also is not bright enough to create a bloom effect during daytime:

So this version is definitely better which I appreciate but still not as good as other aircraft which were released on the 40th :wink: Also by now the changes only affect the “normal” version of the DC3, not the enhanced - I guess that will change on SU12 release when they also push an update to the market place.

11 Likes

Great list of changes for SU12 I think.

2 Likes

What about some functionality changes. Changes to the model are just eye candy improvements which count for not a lot. FM and systems is where meaningful improvements are made IMHO.

3 Likes

Simple answer: I had no time to test that by now, I just had a quick look. Also regarding the FM I’m not the one to judge as I never even touched a DC3 irl nor did I read the POH :wink:

1 Like