The 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

So there is a toggle on the EFB for “Anchor” in the amphibious version. Can anyone point out where the anchor is and what I should be looking for? Or does it only appear when the floats are wet?

1 Like

Hi Krazycolin, I have to say that you and your team have done an absolutely stellar job with this build - you have not disappointed!!! There are a very few “idiosyncrasies” that are obviously created by the limitations of the MSFS base software, but leaving that aside, you have “almost completely” fulfilled my wishes for this beautiful aircraft. The very many highly positive comments are entirely in line IMHO, and you guys should take a well deserved bow. I was hopeful, as I had expressed many months ago, and you said that you would do your best - no promises - and here we are!!! Well, in closing, your best is just fine with me. Thanks sooooooo much!

4 Likes

You’re out of your mind. The BR Goose is still the only plane that gets up on the step properly.

How do we add the canoe?

The tablet

Ah, thanks

I’m loving this aircraft. Thank you Blackbird / Microsoft / Asobo for this stellar addition to the simulator.

2 Likes

I’ll drop this here! :slight_smile: Enjoy!

IMPROVEMENT MODIFICATIONS (Version 1.0.0.):
  • Added New Bush Variant: DHC-2 Beaver 35" Bush Wheels

• Ability to Select Any “Base” Game Livery
    • Compatibility with Future Liveries if the Artist(s) add it to their Folder Layout.
  • Added New Water Effect: Amphibious Water Spray

• Added New Start-Up Effect: Start-Up Combustion Burst

• Added Hide Feature: Hide Tablet (Use On/Off Tablet Button)

• Added Hide/Unhide Feature: Hide/Unhide Tablet (Use Alternator Warning Lamp Test)

• Will Find Better Fix in the Future!
  • Fixed Camera Feature: Quickview Cameras (Left, Right, Up, Down, Rear)

• Fixed Flight Dynamics: Elevator Authority Modified (Feels Slightly Heavier)

If you want to request additions/fixes in the future, please join the official discussion thread: DHC-2 Beaver Improvement Mod + Bush Mode (Discussion/Request Thread)

32 Likes

The anchor seems to be a functional one rather than cosmetic. At least, I didn’t find any 3D anchor modeled. Toggling it locks your aircraft’s position so that you don’t drift away while parked on water.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say that this is a fantastic addition and I can’t believe it’s free! Once again Blackbird has proven to be a worthy aircraft developer. I expect I will have a lot of fun with this aircraft in the future!

2 Likes

Looking forward to try that mod. I may just finish my world tour with this baby instead of the 337.
Specially now that i am getting to the Canada and Alaska regions.

Quite surprised the Beaver doesn’t have Anti-Ice systems btw.

So much flying to do in this one and the DC-3

1 Like

For me, this bird has been such a pleasant surprise. Like most, all I heard was excitement for the A310 and Helicopters. But I haven’t touched anything else since the update except for the beaver. Amazing aircraft to fly and such fun.

5 Likes

Hi. Is the dhc-2 beaver a freeware with the anniversary update? I can not find it anywhere. I haven’t used msfs for a long time now and updated it yesterday. No beaver or dc-3. I have the deluxe edition on steam.
Thanks for help.

Wow. Simply wow. I love this plane. It was my favorite in the older MSFS releases as well, but this one is outstanding!

It is listed alphabetically under Viking.

Have to say I jumped in for a quick flight with the DHC-2 Beaver last night and wasn’t expecting to be blown away, but wow. Fantastic aircraft, ended up flying around for well over an hour. I can see me coming back to this one. I think every aircraft (I have tried so far) has been great in this release but some have an edge over the others. I guess it depends on what you are used to and enjoy flying the most. Only aircraft I’m finding difficulty/quirky so far is the Bell, but that’s another story.

1 Like

In regard to switching fuel tanks from a hardware switch:

I use Fsuipc. I wasn’t able to switch it by Lvar directly using

ipc.writeLvar(“L:DHC2_FUELSELECTORHANDLE”, ipcPARAM)

but it works like this:

local calc_code = ipcPARAM…" (>L:DHC2_FUELSELECTORHANDLE)"
ipc.execCalcCode(calc_code)

0 = off, 1 = rear, 2 = center, 3 = front

Okay, so if the centerline stripes have standard length and gaps (stripes 120 feet long and gaps 80 feet), that would be a takeoff roll of ~500feet (150m). I could not find a takeoff roll spec in a short google search, only a takeoff distance (over 50 ft. obstacle), which is 1,015 feet. A factor of two between the two figures is not unreasonable.

As someone who plays mostly as a bush pilot, this plane had been at the very top of my wishlist since the game’s release. And it has not disappointed. It has instantly become my favorite plane in the game. It’s absolutely gorgeous and it controls fantastic.

I didn’t know anything about Blackbird, I play on Xbox and in any case I’ve never purchased third-party planes. But heck, if this is how all their stuff is, I would’ve become a regular customer. The tablet with all the little additional options confused me at first and I didn’t even pay attention to it—I even thought the copilot being visible in cockpit view was a bug. But those kind of touches have now become the cherry on top.

Maaaybe I’d still allow to set the co-pilot hidden to default instead of something you have to turn off each time, but that’s about it. Wonderful, wonderful plane. I’m gonna be visiting the entire world with it.

1 Like

Apart from a few niggles, as pointed out by a few of us, the DHC-2 is truly amazing. I’ve only briefly flown most of the other new planes so far, and while they are all great, somehow, the Beaver I could not let go, and kept flying it for a good 2 hours yesterday.
The model is visually stunning inside out, it flies beautifully and stable, yet the engine is a powerhouse, and has such a lovely growl and rattle to it, I just had to keep chugging along.
I also noticed some take in the tires/suspension of the amphibious version when taxiing :star_struck:
Stellar job from Blackbird Simulations :+1: :clap:

3 Likes