The aircrafts glide way too far on 0 power

I’ve flown a real C172 and I feel it’s pretty realistic. I mostly fly the TBM in game and if I’m landing at the proper speed and Glide path I feel it’s pretty realistic as well. Far better then FSX.

Just my opinion.

5 Likes

I’m with you. I see no issue at all with how these planes glide. They land exactly as I do for real.

I pull the power just before I get to the runway, touch the nose up as I level off just above the runway, and let it stall to ground in exactly the same place I land at home.

1 Like

I tried reduced speed and I am able to reduce the float, but not eliminate it. It also does not help reduce the bounce effect on touchdown. The reduced speed did improve the landing fpm.

Thanks.

1 Like

I feel the OP may just be “coming in to hot” haha

1 Like

If you’re bouncing, just like in real life, you’re going too fast. Correct speed is hugely important, whether in the sim or in real life.

I have 50 actual landings in the last month, I’ve been practicing a lot, both in sim and real life.

1 Like

Lucky you :slightly_smiling_face:, I have been grounded for a month due to being in lockdown again. I have the plane booked on Sunday, but the weather looks like its going to stop that :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

140 IAS would be fine for an A320 but you will have a hard time landing much else in the sim at that speed.

• 172 = 65 kts approach / 48kts threshold
  • Extra 330 = 71 kts approach/ 58 kts threshold
  • TBM 930 = 110 kts approach / 88 kts threshold
  • Cubs = 50-60 kts approach / 40 kts threshold
    Numbers are ballpark and depend on weight, landing config and of course wind and field.

Get much above those numbers and you could run out of runway pretty quick.

2 Likes

And assume full flaps.
And assume you are on the glideslope.

IOW, as @willisxdc said, ballpark. What are most important are the speed at the threshold as you level off. The approach speeds are set to get the threshold speed as you level off.

The only way to land is a stall. Anything higher than stall, at all, and, yep, you’re going to keep on flying.
Hence why you would bounce if you touch down too fast.

Thing to remember is that once on final, use pitch to control airspeed and throttle to control altitude.
As a bush guy, I often would pretty much be hanging the plane on the prop with 60/70% throttle as I crossed the threshold. Then just pull the power back smoothly to gently set the wheels down without any pitch change. That way, if the wheels started to sink into the field, just adding power would allow you to lift back up and transition back to the normal flight envelope pretty quickly. A must if you have 60ft bush at the other end. :wink:

1 Like

Bounce is caused by a pitch up while still carrying speed above stall. Don’t try to feather the flare. Just raise the nose to a fixed attitude that results in no descent rate and hold it there. As the wings loose lift the airplane will settle to the ground.
If you touch a tricycle gear down at stall speed the nose will drop, reducing angle of attack and therefore lift.
When a tail dragger touches down the mains first the tail will drop, increasing angle of attack and therefore lift. Bounce.
It takes practice with each aircraft to find that perfect flare angle to ensure the wings stop flying at touchdown. With every plane you listed except the TBM, you should hear the stall warning chirp just before the wheels touch. It’s OK to gently pull the stick into your lap as you here that chirp. See if you can make it scream as the wheels settle. Just be sure you aren’t still ten feet in the air when you do that. :grin:

1 Like

During my flight training I always struggled with this word flare and I think it was because I spent hundreds of hours flying flight sims, Jets etc before I flew for real. I found that once my instructor had changed my thinking about the word flare and drilled the wording holdoff in to my grey matter it kind of all fell in to place for me and the bounces on landing faded away. I think this transfers to well to the simulator as well.

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid of throttle. It can be your best friend. If your descent angle is a bit toosteep as you cross the threshold, instead of increasing the pitch above normal just add a bit of power as you flare (holdoff) to arrest the descent. Then holding your normal pitch angle reduce the throttle and let her settle. A very solid technique when coming in over tall obstacles to a very short field. Steeper descent lets you use all of the runway for landing and if you time the pitch/throttle properly the aircraft will stall onto the ground allowing full breaking immediately.
@DabullAir

3 Likes

True but I just experienced this again with the longitude.

Haha well, that definitely happens from time to time but that’s not what I am talking about. I agree the planes feel very realistic and a nice landing is far from impossible. This is just the one area where I can feel a lack of realism.

Thanks! Actually flew most of these speeds. Might have been a bit faster with the extra but other than that those are speeds where I can experience the floatiness.

Exaggerated ground effect affects most, if not all aircraft and it’s most obvious with the 747.

There underlying problem is the absence of drag from the propeller…

1 Like

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Apart from a few tail draggers I’ve never stalled any aircraft onto the runway, not even close.

Touching down at higher speeds than the stall speed is certainly not the reason for a bounced landing.

I want the aircraft to keep flying at touchdown and be able to control the flare, instead of letting it drop uncontrolled onto the runway in a stalled condition.

This technique would also make crosswind landings very difficult if not impossible.

The stall warning going off in e.g. a 152 doesn’t mean that the wings are stalled.

1 Like

Are you going to disagree that the plane is going to float down the runway if the plane is above stall speed? True, if there’s not enough power to keep it flying, it will descend… oh, wait, that’s stalled…

All I’m going to say is, I do not find the aircraft float down the runway. They land pretty much exactly as I do for real.

True, I do not let the plane “Fall out of the sky”. I’m only a foot or so above the runway as I pull the nose up to flair. As far as the bouncing, that’s what my instructor, a Navy Pilot with something like 30,000 hours explained to me, and he was an instructor in the Navy.

Yes.
Again, I want to be able to control the flight path of my aircraft and not let it drop uncontrolled onto the runway.