The AN-225 should be the next Local Legend

Not a prototype, it was used regularly for things like delivering very large things like wind turbine blades.

There was just not enough demand to even bother finishing the second one, the original was capable of handling any jobs that came up.

I strongly suspect they will not build another as modern airship technology is getting to the point where it can handle those big lifting jobs.

1 Like

i agree, soon we will have simmers boycotting el al flying into certain airports and this will never end. of course present the antonov along with so many other legends for what they are … aviation legends but please no ENOLA GAY

1 Like

The Enola Gay would certainly be one of the most contentious choicees for an aviation legend … So far Asobo’s choice for legends always ended up in aircraft that were primarily developed for civilian use, and I think that’s the way it’ll remain.

That I would like to see, but I’m extremely sceptical after the Cargolifter debacle …
On the other hand if Ukraine manages to come out of this war a winner, I hope they will build a second one just as a symbol that they are back.

The Antonov factory has also been targeted and taken extensive damage.

With regard to airships the cargolifter was 20 years ago, things have progressed. Commercial airships are still a way off but progress is being made.

So sad to see. They will restore it but it will take 5 years. Russia has to pay for it though.

1 Like

I don’t hold my breath for that happening. You will get the money from a kickstarter campaign before the Russians cough up any money. This isn’t 1918 or 1945 anymore. And no matter how this thing ends I can’t see anyone imposing war reparations on Russia in this day and age.

2 Likes

May be tricky the Antonov factories have also been bombed. There was a second backup air frame that was never completed as there was no need to build more than one, no idea where that is or if it was also destroyed.

1 Like

I’d absolutely buy that. It doesn’t even have to be political; that bird’s earned it’s place in the sim on its merits alone.

And if the timing just happens to coincide with current events, well so much the better.

2 Likes

Some videos posted by Dmitry Antonov - Chief pilot of Antonov Airlines who flew the AN-225.

Last takeoff before the attack

In the cockpit …

The airport and AN-225 now - jump to 18:24 for the aircraft itself (including a discussion on what is salvageable for a rebuild) …

2 Likes

100% agree, it might be difficult to make, but most of us would buy it

1 Like

I would even say realism wouldn’t be that important to me in this case. I would buy it just as a symbol. Provided the revenue goes straight to some fund helping Ukrainian war orphans or something similar.

4 Likes

Looks like someone at Asobo or MS read this thread and saw the votes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good news.

Hopefully they will donate some of the proceeds to Humanitarian Ukraine refugee charities.

3 Likes

Antonov got back to Asobo, the Antonov AN-2 is coming soon. Contract isn’t signed yet but in the works.

Jorg wanted to preserve the 225, talked to the art team about it and he said “I think we can make this work.” Revenue from this 225 in-game will be donated to Antonov to help remake the plane again.

VOD talk at 1h18m23s.

7 Likes

Oh dear. The AN 225 deserves better than an Asobo modeling.

2 Likes

Are you volunteering to do it ?

I see this as a positive move.

2 Likes

I really like the idea about that but I guess it won’t be a “local legend” but another static aircraft to look at like the Orbis aircraft if it’s done just by Asobo.

Another story would be if they team up with Hans and other external devs to ensure it will be in flyable state.

I would love to see a flying model, done right! I think we’ll have to have MS / Asobo modify some code though, because at the moment doesn’t the sim only support four engines?

1 Like

Yes

That’s right but they anyway wanna remove that limitation so it would go hand in hand with this (they also wanted to simulate the correct amount of engines/propellers on the Velocity) - in the meantime they also could just double the thrust on one engine on each wing or do some magic WASM stuff to add forces pushing the aircraft forward in the correct place :smiley:

So there are workarounds available since FSX which also did not support more engines/propellers (basically it’s exact the same limitation as the code was ported).

1 Like