The Biggest Disappointment

MSFS (2020) gave us the WORLD!

It was an evolutionary leap folks had been waiting for for decades!

The whole globe in detail, so you could fly with your eyes not just your instruments and know where you were and where you were going.

And then they made a massively multiplayer sandbox out of the whole globe!

And… I just don’t see how MS/Asobo can top that evolutionary leap with the sequel.

2024 could be SO much better than 2020 and STILL, nothing they show can compare to the WOW factor of showing us the freaking WORLD for 2020.

Anyway, looking back through all versions of MSFS, back to the days of DOS, we have had a handful of HUGE evolutionary releases, and then many, many sequels that offered incremental improvements.

And often enough, it is the incremental sequels that are the best flight sims… even though they weren’t always the most exciting upon announcement.

Now we have the world, MS/Asobo can work on the smaller things. And really, one or two smaller things aren’t that big of a deal… but thousands of them can combine to make a remarkable sequel built upon the base, the WORLD, that was 2020.

Populating the world with things to do could vastly change how people enjoy MSFS. It could make the world look more alive and populated. And it could keep people coming back.

Forza Horizon has really nailed this already, and I suspect we could see those types of live activities move into the MSFS world. In FH you are surrounded by other people doing things in the shared world… but you can always just set a destination and drive there. Cruising from point A to point B is still very much a part of the game, but it is no longer the ONLY thing players can do in the shared, open world.

And if you don’t want to see everyone else, you can just turn them off and drive from point A to B to your heart’s content like you own the world.

I hope in a few years, we all look back and laugh at how much fun we made for ourselves in a global sandbox when all we could do was fly from point A to point B.

The world, the amazing world we got in 2020 could be so much more alive if filled with people doing jobs. Building things. Racing. Fighting fires.

We will never be as impressed by news of 2024, when 2020 gave us the freaking world, but we really might look back at 2024 as the better sim simply because it offered us things to do all over that whole freaking world.

14 Likes

I wonder if, once the world is sufficiently detailed, they will be able to license it for other simulators, trains, boats, trucks etc.

Probably another decade away but it no longer seems impossible.

Maybe one day we’ll be able to fly to the airfield nearest to our house. Take a car from the airfield to our house. Park in the driveway and enter the house, and walk into the room where we sim, to see our little jacked into the Matrix avatar self in our little chair, Who knows, maybe they will even find a way for our in game avatar, via mixed reality to walk into our real room as we do in game, so we can high five ourselves.

This has to be the ultimate end goal.

8 Likes

8 Likes

As a South American, it hasn’t given us the world quite yet.

Besides that, this is one of the reasons I’m skeptical about the new sim: what’s the sequel pitch? What’s been announced so far is pretty weak IMO.

3 Likes

The careers concept and seasons is “pretty weak?”

It isn’t the earth shattering evolution of 2020 but is certainly enough to continue to pay attention…

6 Likes

The biggest disappointment is 2024 seems to be using the same clouds as now, which, are those that really let down the graphical quality of the sim.

3 Likes

I like the idea, think of the possibilities. World Simulator.

Think of the pc power required. Lol

Yeah, not THIS generation… but…

One thing you have touched that is important is we have seen this with previous versions of the sim. I think the best example might be FS2000 and FS2002. 2000 was new and amazing to what came before it, but even high end pcs at the time struggled. FS2002 following it looked about the same but was far smoother on comparable systems.

I think yes we are getting what was ideally going to be delivered in MSFS2020, but in a tidier more optimised package. Of course that is my speculation, but based on current 2024 info and the history of the sim.

2 Likes

2002 was SO good.

1 Like

I don’t care about the missions/career thing. For example, I have uninstalled the bush trips and landing challenges from my sim. Seasons could be nice though.

5 Likes

I am so looking forward to it maybe because I do not care about clouds. I do not see clouds that are any different to the ones outside my window and to be honest I never want to, it may spoil my fun.

1 Like

Yeah, just seasons and careers may be weak, but I suspect, and hope, that they are still holding alot back for now. Cheers.

3 Likes

This was the goal of ESP, originally, and I can remember some very early videos of what was to be the ESP version after FSX, showing people milling around an airport plus the same people waiting for a train in a new train simulator. They then shut everything down, I suspect because they realised what the actual scope could be, and wanted a decade to do it justice.
I don’t think those old videos exist now?
Here’s MS’s ESP announcement from 2007.

1 Like

I lived out there in the “real world” for 30 years, in the system.
So now instead of being a “wanna be”, I’m a used’ta was. Now when I fly in a sim, I don’t need or desire in the slightest to hear ATC tell me to slow for spacing. I don’t feel the need to be number 10 for takeoff. I want to just taxi out to the runway and yes, “own the sky”.
And I don’t want helo search and rescue missions. I want a dynamic aircraft that handles and has control response like the real ones, not one that is flown by a game pad.

5 Likes

In the current sim, helicopters do not have realistic flight and aerodynamic qualities modeled. Hopefully, the next gen version will.

i must Agree with you

I think many are not used to the FSX and before tradition (A new version every 2 years).

The mentioned features and improvements in 2024, for example the engine architecture and refactoring are certainly candidates for a new version just like the old FS were…

As long as they support and keep servers for fs2020 I do not care.

2 Likes

Yeah. Imagine the AI machine learning creating railroad tracks around the world, and having endless routes to use in a Train Simulator.

1 Like