The effect of rain on the windshield

Hello. Is it possible to implement such an effect in a simulator?

12 Likes

There is a wish on better windshield/windscreen rain effects:

3 Likes

+1 check out the windscreen effects on Xplane 12. Amazing. The wipers clear the rain. Looks great.

4 Likes

I recommend trying the Fenix Airbus :wink:
Only the precious Fenix has a realistic windshield wiper windshield rain effect.

By the way, Assetto Corsa looks really good, a dream to drive in VR!

5 Likes

Iā€˜d love to see this as well. Adds a lot to the immersion. Sadly, the Fenix windshield effects arenā€˜t that convincing if you ask me. I hope they get updated at some point.

1 Like

I think the videographer is being a bit loose with the term ā€œRealisticā€ when thereā€™s rain on the cars windshield two seconds before exiting the tunnelā€¦

Itā€™s for sure possible - you proved itā€™s possible by adding a video of some other game which proves itā€™s possible :wink:

The real question is: what does it cost (to implement and when it comes to performance)?

Not so much indeed. ItĀ“s just a set of textures with several rain drops patterns and transparency that are spawned in layers, moved as the wipers do and rotated according to vehicle movements to create the effect of the moving drops and their inertia. Many games have it since years ago.

Cheers

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the point - controlling the effects in a vast majority of situations is the tricky part.

Surely you can just add texture based drops randomly across the screen, but on a shader based approach with effects related to airspeed, temperature and other more complex variables taken into account (like cloud/fog density) the thing gets complex pretty fast when it needs to be rendered in real time.

To exclude such effects you nowadays use vertex colors on the screen, so the color of individual vertex would need to change with the wipers animation.

As you said it could be easily mocked with some textures, but that wonā€™t be something Iā€™d like to see when they rework the effect :wink: - we should step back from FSX and XP10 finally :stuck_out_tongue:

Taking into account that they took 2 years to remove the horizon line from the mountains and itĀ“s not even yet planned to be fixed I wouldnĀ“t be too ambitious with my expectations for the rain physics :rofl: But yes, itĀ“s not an easy thing to simulate. Moving water, in all itĀ“s possible combinations (like there or the one of the sea), is not a joke at all.

Cheers

2 Likes

OT

You mean the line that only is visible when using DX11 but which is gone on DX12? :wink:

Back on topic: Most stuff needed is already in sim and is also used on the current effects like icing and rain moving across the windows. Anyway this shader effects would need some rework to take the wipers into account and even more rework to support some more features. Imho the sim would benefit from this, as well as expanding this effect to the whole fuselage which magically stays dry while the windows get wet :wink: - Anyway, letā€™s get some actual wipers first and then move from there.

Cheers!

No no, itĀ“s still there. I also thought it was gone with beta but pay attention and you will notice it (is a bit less visible, thatĀ“s true). The bug is still in the lifetime list indeed, and in the latest dev update was ā€œnot plannedā€ yet.

Cheers

1 Like

Sorry, just to go off topic again for a little momentā€¦ what line?!

The horizon, which is visible through mountains and objects.

Cheers

1 Like

Hopefully Xplane 12 will live up to its hypeā€¦as it now looks like P3D has thrown the towel inā€¦the more competition the better for our hobby.

3 Likes

Haii, you should be able to find the response in this topic, where the team responded to a question on their plans for adding this feature in the community forum questions section.

Wow I have never seen a racing game looking THAT GOOD! (But Drive Club and Gran Turismo VR was awesome too).
Is this really an ingame-camera or just some replay in the video?

Is there a Ferrari F50, Ferrari Berlinetta und Lamborghini Egoista available for this Assetto Corsa game?
Can it be driven with the Oculus Quest II VR headset? Is this a proper functioning headset for this game?

I would like to see this also. But my main wish is to have snow hit the windshield and actually look like snow and not rain. Heck we had that way back in FS 9.

Snow / sleet would be amazing, I mean that would be another level of immersion. I agree @bam12208834

1 Like

Assetto Corsa is a pretty old sim now (2017) but definitely very good in terms of physics accuracy and how different cars handle realistically to what they are actually like IRL. There is a newer version of the game (2019) Assetto Corsa Competizione which focuses purely on GT racing series (no road / production cars) but I donā€™t have that.

As for Ferraris and Lambos in the original game, no F50 (F40 yes!), no 512BB, no Egoista. But I would not be surprised if mods were available for all those you want, such as this 512LM.

Berlinetta Boxer road car is also out there. Or did you mean the 250GT / Lusso? Itā€™s all there as mods anyways lol.

What you do get in the base game are below and they also sell a DLC Ferrari 70th anniversary pack with a bunch more of the best Ferraris ever made - also listed below for you.

• LaFerrari
  • 458 Italia (2 variants)
  • F40 (2 variants)
  • 599 XX
  • F1 312T
  • 458 GT
  • Lamborghini Miura S.V.
  • Lamborghini HuracĆ”n Performante
  • Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

Then the Ferrari DLC has:

• 250 GTO
  • 330 P4
  • 312/67
  • 288 GTO
  • 812 Superfast
  • F1 F2004
  • F1 SF70H

Another DLC (Red Pack) has:

• F1 SF-15T
  • F138
  • 488 GT3
  • Maserati 250F 6C
  • Maserati 250F T2 12C
  • Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4
  • Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce

Plus so many other supercars and high performance road cars. Really great package with many official DLC (Countach, Porsche packs etc etc).

Donā€™t know about VR with Quest but assume it should work fine. Google will tell you :slight_smile:

1 Like